Oscar Nominations for 2020

Oscars-Poster-Key-Art-2021.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

Nominations for the 93rd Oscars are being revealed Monday morning beginning at 5:19 p.m. PT.

Best Picture

The Father
Judas And The Black Messiah
Mank
Minari
Nomadland
Promising Young Woman
Sound Of Metal
The Trial Of The Chicago 7

Actor in a Leading Role

Riz Ahmed
Chadwick Boseman
Antony Hopkins
Gary Oldman
Steven Yeun

Actress in a Leading Role

Viola Davis
Andra Day
Vanessa Kirby
Frances McDormand
Carey Mulligan

Live Action Short Film

Feeling Through
The Letter Room
The Present
Two Distant Strangers
White Eye

International Feature Film

Another Round
Better Days
Collective
The Man Who Sold His Skin
Quo Vida, Aida?

Cinematography

Judas and The Black Messiah
Mank
News Of the World
Nomadland
The Trial Of the Chicago 7

Film Editing

The Father
Nomadland
Promising Young Woman
Sound Of Metal
The Trial Of The Chicago 7

Production Design

The Father
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Mank
News Of The World
Tenet

Makeup and Hairstyling

Emma
Hillbilly Elegy
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Mank
Pinocchio

Sound

Greyhoud
Mank
News Of The World
Soul
Sound Of Metal

Visual Effects

Love and Monsters
The Midnight Sky
Mulan
The One and Only Ivan
Tenet

Actor in a Supporting Role

Sacha Baron Cohen
Daniel Kaluuya
Leslie Odom Jr
Paul Raci
Lakeith Stanfeld

Actress in a Supporting Role

Maria Bakalova
Glenn Close
Olivia Colman
Amanda Seyfried
Yuh-Jung Youn

Directing

Thomas Vinterberg
David Fincher
Lee Isaac Chung
Chloe Zhao
Emerald Fennell

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
The Father
Nomadland
One Night In Miami
The White Tiger

Writing (Original Screenplay)

Judas and the Black Messiah
Minari
Promising Young Woman
Sound of Metal
The Trial of the Chicago 7

Costume Design

Emma
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Mank
Mulan
Pinocchio

Music (Original Score)

Da 5 Bloods
Mank
Minari
News of the World
Soul

Music (Original Song)

Fight For Me, Judas
Hear My Voice, Chicago 7
Husavik, European Song Contest
Io Si, The Life Ahead
Speak Now, One Night In Miami

Documentary Feature

Collective
Crip Camp
The Mole Agent
My Octopus Teacher
Time

Documentary Short Subject

Colette
A Concerto Is A Conversation
Do Not Split
Hunger Ward
A Love Song For Natasha

Animated Feature Film

Onward
Over The Moon
A Shaun the Sheep Movie
Soul
Wolfwalkers

Animated Short Film

Burrow
Genius Loci
If Anything Happens I Love You
Opera
Yes-People

Love that Judas and the Black Messiah is getting recognized, although it's weird that the co-leads both ended up getting nominated for supporting. 

I've seen most of the major nominees at this point, except The Father, Minari, and Promising Young Woman (which I'll see this week).

It's honestly rude that the Tenet score wasn't nominated. 

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

Love that Judas and the Black Messiah is getting recognized, although it's weird that the co-leads both ended up getting nominated for supporting. 

I've seen most of the major nominees at this point, except The Father, Minari, and Promising Young Woman (which I'll see this week).

It's honestly rude that the Tenet score wasn't nominated. 

I thought Tenet would have gotten more technical nominations for sure and the score is the best part of the film. I've only seen a couple of the nominees... maybe four or five. I'm gonna change that for sure. What the hell else am I gonna do? We're still on lockdown :p

Trial of the Chicago 7 getting nominated for best picture seems a little bit like woke olympics to me. I enjoyed it just fine, it is a perfectly solid 6 or 7 out of 10, but best picture nominee? Seems like another version of the Academy trying to say "look how woke we are now."

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

Trial of the Chicago 7 getting nominated for best picture seems a little bit like woke olympics to me. I enjoyed it just fine, it is a perfectly solid 6 or 7 out of 10, but best picture nominee? Seems like another version of the Academy trying to say "look how woke we are now."

Doing better than the Grammys at least.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Shaka King not being nominated in the Directing category is an egregious oversight.

I just cut an interview he did for ABC this morning... he's plenty happy withe best picture and screenplay noms :pI'm glad it got recognized for Cinematography... it really is one of the best shot films I've seen in recent times. 

Delroy Lindo robbed. he should have taken lakeith’s spot and lakeith should have taken Gary Oldman’s spot for best actor. they actually were campaigning for best actor for lakeith and he got dropped into supporting, which according to the internet is highly unusual. 

Borat 2 is an adapted screenplay how? Because it's a sequel or because it was originally a character from a TV show I guess. Still weird that it is in that category when it's mostly improvised bits with random people. 

Cool to see Maria Bakalova get nominated for it though. 

25 minutes ago, Brick said:

Borat 2 is an adapted screenplay how? Because it's a sequel or because it was originally a character from a TV show I guess. Still weird that it is in that category when it's mostly improvised bits with random people. 

There's a lot of story to it and I thought it was actually a pretty good story with something to say.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Chicago 7 is soooooooo completely average. Not a single thing about it is exceptional.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

The first Borat was up for adapted screenplay as well for the same reason. It's treated as a movie adaptation of the Ali G sketches.

What counts as original and adapted can get weird sometimes. Before Damien Chazelle made Whiplash, he made a short film (basically an ~18 minute chunk from the middle of the movie) to raise funding for the feature. He ended up getting nominated for Adapted Screenplay, because according to their rules, the feature film was based on the short. 

And I’m sure that a movie like Trial of the Chicago 7 was written using reference materials, but I guess since it didn’t use enough from a single source, it counts as original. 

In a bit of good timing, Another Round just dropped on Hulu today. I’ve been looking forward to watching that one for a while.

Promising Young Woman has been available as a premium rental for a while now, but comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray tomorrow, so it’ll be a little cheaper to see. 

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

In a bit of good timing, Another Round just dropped on Hulu today. I’ve been looking forward to watching that one for a while.

Promising Young Woman has been available as a premium rental for a while now, but comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray tomorrow, so it’ll be a little cheaper to see. 

Both Promising Young Woman and Another Round are excellent.

21 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ja ja ding dong was robbed of best original song, but I'm glad husavik got the nomination. (Just watched Eurovision Song Contest the other night and I actually loved it)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that on the list as well. I really enjoyed that movie and the music was phenomenal! I hope we get a performance of it haha

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that on the list as well. I really enjoyed that movie and the music was phenomenal! I hope we get a performance of it haha

I unironically love "Running With the Wolves" and want more. Between it and Husavik my spotify playlist is getting all kinds of messed up

Watched The Sound of Metal yesterday. Great performance and amazing editing and sound design but the film dragged a little for me in the middle and sometimes felt like a short film that was dragged out to become a feature. It ended strong though and I enjoyed it though. Riz Ahmed's performance was amazing though. Next up Nomadland.