Oscar Nominations for 2020

I've caught up on all of the BP nominees now. Promising Young Woman lived up to my expectations, with a few pleasant surprises. Well, "pleasant" may not be the right word, but you know what I mean. :p Minari is great. Don't have much to say about it. Some wild stuff from Will Patton. The Father is... I don't know. It's not bad. It's pretty standard Oscars stuff to have a movie based on a play featuring beloved actors to get a bunch of recognition, but Ma Rainey could have easily taken this slot. 

I also watched News of the World this morning, and I'm a little surprised it didn't get nominated for more things. Not that it's particularly amazing or anything, but a throwback Western starring America's Dad seems right up their alley. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bought & watched Promising Young Woman last Saturday. I have since not only rewatched it twice more but also once w/ commentary, all the supplemental materials, multiple review videos & talk/think pieces, and have absolutely not been able to get it out of my head. None of the award ceremonies were on my radar for this last year because, well you know. That being said, I am pleased to see how many nominations this film has, well deserving for sure & I have nothing but the highest of hopes that all those involved & nominated, continue to win their respective categories.

In earnest, I truly believe that all men should watch this intently & with eyes wide open at what it is attempting to articulate & showcase, just amazing!

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Bought & watched Promising Young Woman last Saturday. I have since not only rewatched it twice more but also once w/ commentary, all the supplemental materials, multiple review videos & talk/think pieces, and have absolutely not been able to get it out of my head. None of the award ceremonies were on my radar for this last year because, well you know. That being said, I am pleased to see how many nominations this film has, well deserving for sure & I have nothing but the highest of hopes that all those involved & nominated, continue to win their respective categories.

In earnest, I truly believe that all men should watch this intently & with eyes wide open at what it is attempting to articulate & showcase, just amazing!

Definitely on the list of films to watch. I still have quite a few of these to watch before the Oscars but I did manage to match all of the live action short film nominees. This year's was defintely weaker than last year's batch but still decent overall. Ironically my least favorite short film of 2019 won the Oscar :p

• 3 weeks later...

What a wild end. 3 hours of fairly boring, but rarely embarrassing awards fare. Then:

Weird bit with Glenn Close

Best Picture: Nomadland 

Best Actress: Fran “I’ve already won enough of these, you don’t get another speech” McDormand

Best Actor: some old guy who went so method with his last movie, he forgot to show up for the Show!

• Haha 1

In terms of the awards I have few complaints. The only real surprises to me were the two big acting categories. I think McDormand totally earned another win, though the top three were pretty close for me. For best actor it would have been great to see Boseman win, but I'd have picked Hopkins, Yeun, or Ahmed before Boseman.

As for the show, I felt like it was more boring than usual. I can't say that they should bring back everything they got rid of, but I think the extra long speeches along with little relief made the show feel particularly long.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The gift bags for the acting and directing nominees apparently clock in at over $200,000 in value each :o

Oh yeah they get good swag. I remember hearing years ago about some of the stuff they get, like free Botox sessions. 

On 4/25/2021 at 8:28 PM, TheLeon said:

What a wild end. 3 hours of fairly boring, but rarely embarrassing awards fare. Then:

Weird bit with Glenn Close

Best Picture: Nomadland 

Best Actress: Fran “I’ve already won enough of these, you don’t get another speech” McDormand

Best Actor: some old guy who went so method with his last movie, he forgot to show up for the Show!

According to IndieWire, Hopkins' request to accept the award via Zoom was denied by the producers of the Oscar telecast. The 83-year-old actor (now the oldest acting Oscar winner) resides in Wales and had no intention to travel to the hubs in Dublin or London, so the actor opted to stay home and was asleep when the award was announced. This also was the case for 89-year-old Ann Roth, who won the Oscar for Best Costume Design for her work on Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

Given the eight-hour time difference between Los Angeles and Wales, Hopkins would have had to travel to Dublin or London location and be up until 4 a.m. Boseman was the projected frontrunner for much of the awards seasons, so Hopkins safely assumed it would be okay to miss the ceremony, given that traveling at 83 during a pandemic can be dangerous. When he woke up to discover he won, he released an acceptance speech thanking the Academy and honoring Boseman.

the-father-hopkins.jpg
SCREENRANT.COM

The 83-year-old was asleep at his home in Whales.