PSVR2 confirmed (single cord, won't be launching in 2021) (UPDATE: Patent shows new controller, trying to see if non-electronic things like bananas can be controllers)

SaysWho?

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Can anyone give a good estimation about how these specs stack up to some of the other sets out there? 

Dunno how it stacks, but it must be good because the impressions are, "They went all out with those specs," and, "Those specs sound fantastic," and, "Beefy."

14 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Can anyone give a good estimation about how these specs stack up to some of the other sets out there? 

Massive improvement over the first PSVR, and appears to be the best out of the mainstream headsets.

vr-headset-resolution-comparison.jpg
SMARTGLASSESHUB.COM

For many people, VR headset display resolution is one of the most important specifications when evaluating and comparing headsets. You might say it's the car…

I'm going to get this after I eventually get a PS5 and I'm a go on the "NEXT" Quest too. I've waited long enough, but still not a must have item now. The Quest 2 is a really great VR headset from what I've read and seen though I still have never tried VR. The Tech is moving in a steady direction giving us more features etc. Still no timeline for the PS5 unit so there's time to score the console first...lol

Now I can resist the temptation to get a Quest 2. I got my first Quest about two months before the 2 came out... still salty about that :| I have a PSVR as well so i can totally wait until the next PSVR comes out. I'm assuming the current PSVR game will be backwards compatable at least? Although knowing Sony maybe that's not a safe assumption.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Now I can resist the temptation to get a Quest 2. I got my first Quest about two months before the 2 came out... still salty about that :| I have a PSVR as well so i can totally wait until the next PSVR comes out. I'm assuming the current PSVR game will be backwards compatable at least? Although knowing Sony maybe that's not a safe assumption.

Cerny already said it’s bc when they first talked about it iirc. I’ll try to find it

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So what he said was psvr is bc with the PS5. However, a reputable insider has said it will be bc. Official announcement can’t yet happened.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Why? Quest is that price and it has actual processing/rendering hardware. The PS5 does the rendering for this, it’s not standalone.

For real though, and I don’t care that FB is likely selling them at a loss, Sony should too for this, earn that 30% take in on games sold.

For some reason, I thought I recall hearing that the Quest 2 was sold at a price that they don't make any money on it. I'm dubious that Sony would chase a similar model, but possibly. Personally, I'll guess $400.

I'd be very surprised if Sony made the new headset PC compatible, but I can imagine it getting some unofficial drivers.

So far, everything they've announced has been beyond my expectations. If it's anywhere as good as it could be, It'll be a great addition to the VR space.

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I really liked the VR offerings on the PSVR but I hated using the headset and wands. I’m interested but I might wait for the Moss 2 and Astrobot 2 PSVR2 bundle. 

PSVR2 headset - $299

Headset and controller bundle - $399

I think a bundle without controllers wouldn’t work as well this time since there isn’t a “Move” and I imagine most games will require these so there is no other reason to own the controllers or headset than to use them together.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think a bundle without controllers wouldn’t work as well this time since there isn’t a “Move” and I imagine most games will require these so there is no other reason to own the controllers or headset than to use them together.

Two of the best VR games, Moss and Astrobot, used the DualShock. 

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yeah but that’s because the wand controllers were pretty much unusable for anything where you really needed to move a character around, now that there are sticks I can’t imagine a new Astrobot won’t be designed completely for these controllers, especially Astrobot really. Moss 2 could be one of a few games that offer up the option but I can’t imagine it’ll be standard.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah but that’s because the wand controllers were pretty much unusable for anything where you really needed to move a character around, now that there are sticks I can’t imagine a new Astrobot won’t be designed completely for these controllers, especially Astrobot really. Moss 2 could be one of a few games that offer up the option but I can’t imagine it’ll be standard.

Ok bet time!

If Sony sells the PSVR2 by itself, you buy me Astrobot 2 (or a VR game if Astrobot 2 doesn’t happen).

If Sony only sells it in a bundle, I will buy you Astrobot 2 (or a VR game if Astrobot 2 doesn’t happen).

dil?

2 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Ok bet time!

If Sony sells the PSVR2 by itself, you buy me Astrobot 2 (or a VR game if Astrobot 2 doesn’t happen).

If Sony only sells it in a bundle, I will buy you Astrobot 2 (or a VR game if Astrobot 2 doesn’t happen).

dil?

Dill, I mean deal! Astrobot 2 better fucking happen though.

Edit: Or they can call it Super Astrobot because I still love that for platformers 

Edit 2: I want to clarify I mean at retailers, I’m sure there will be some direct option in case your headset gets damaged to replace it, but not like a regular boxed product for sale in stores at launch

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Dill, I mean deal! Astrobot 2 better fucking happen though.

Edit: Or they can call it Super Astrobot because I still love that for platformers 

Edit 2: I want to clarify I mean at retailers, I’m sure there will be some direct option in case your headset gets damaged to replace it, but not like a regular boxed product for sale in stores at launch

Correct. It has to be a proper UPC release by Sony. I would never try to win by shady methods. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Why? Quest is that price and it has actual processing/rendering hardware. The PS5 does the rendering for this, it’s not standalone.

Wasn’t the original $400 for just the headset? 

I think $300 for the headset this time + more for controllers will be more realistic. 

I’d love to be wrong. 

4 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Hard disagree on those being two of the best VR games. They were decent games that happened to be in VR, which I think is a massive distinction from something actually being good because it's in VR. Anytime I hear a VR game just mainly uses a regular controller I massively lose interest. The headset and being "in" VR aren't what's interesting to me, the enhanced interaction from VR controllers is the real clincher that brings the entire concept together. Otherwise it's just kind of a big blurry wrap-around monitor. When I'm sat there with a regular ass controller, that's when the concept feels closest to 3D TVs. When I'm interacting with the world with my own two arms closer to how I would in real life, that's when it feels like something new, fresh and separate from standard gaming.

For some folks I know they just don't care, but for me the difference between "If I played this outside of VR it would basically be the same but less immersive" and "This literally wouldn't work outside of VR" are critical distinctions where actual innovation in VR is made. Even when there's no real innovation like in RE4VR, it's still so awesome because of how VR enhances it beyond the immersion of a headset.

• True 2

I appreciate Sony sticking with this.  VR really is an incredible experience when done right, and being able to experience Sony's 1st party game worlds in VR will really add to the experience.  Doing a Horizon VR game is really smart.

I just personally can't see myself buying another headset, especially if its for PS5 only.  If I could use it on PC's or something then I might bite, but know I wouldn't use it enough on PS5 alone.  Maybe after some price drops.

19 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Hard disagree on those being two of the best VR games. They were decent games that happened to be in VR, which I think is a massive distinction from something actually being good because it's in VR. Anytime I hear a VR game just mainly uses a regular controller I massively lose interest. The headset and being "in" VR aren't what's interesting to me, the enhanced interaction from VR controllers is the real clincher that brings the entire concept together. Otherwise it's just kind of a big blurry wrap-around monitor. When I'm sat there with a regular ass controller, that's when the concept feels closest to 3D TVs. When I'm interacting with the world with my own two arms closer to how I would in real life, that's when it feels like something new, fresh and separate from standard gaming.

For some folks I know they just don't care, but for me the difference between "If I played this outside of VR it would basically be the same but less immersive" and "This literally wouldn't work outside of VR" are critical distinctions where actual innovation in VR is made. Even when there's no real innovation like in RE4VR, it's still so awesome because of how VR enhances it beyond the immersion of a headset.

I agree.  I got the Oculus Rift without the Touch Controllers, so I was stuck playing games with the Xbox Remote for a few weeks. After I got the VR Controllers, I finally felt like I was actually experiencing VR, and could never go back to just using a regular controller again.

When people talk about VR adoption rates going up a lot in the past year or so, isn't that entirely because the Quest essentially and having a stand alone unit not being tethered to anything?  I think this will sell fairly well, but I don't quite think VR adoption rates necessarily translate over when you need to have the headset tethered to the hardware, because play spaces become a big factor here.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I must be looking at the current msrp.

Regardless, VR headset prices have drastically reduced since 2016.

No, he’s right, $400 at launch.

I don’t know what this will hit at honestly.  If it’s over $300 I’ll be waiting for it to go down, and my interest will also hugely depend on whether older titles work.