PSVR2 confirmed (single cord, won't be launching in 2021) (UPDATE: Patent shows new controller, trying to see if non-electronic things like bananas can be controllers)

SaysWho?

50092820456_effd2224dc_k.jpg
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

First details on the next-generation VR system coming to the PS5 console.

Today I’m pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5, enabling the ultimate entertainment experience with dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity. Players will feel an even greater sense of presence and become even more immersed in their game worlds once they put on the new headset.

We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience. 

One of the innovations we’re excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I forgot about that line. :lol: 

Yeah, that’s good lol. But yo Sony, that’s fine for people who don’t have good wifi networks but you are going to be like 3 years+ from when wireless vr was viable and works great by the time this thing is out, put a wifi chipset in the thing, have an add on battery pack and give the option, I’m already done with cords in vr.

THOUGH either way this is exciting and yeah I will get it even if I have to deal with a stupid cord (which better be like 30ft and have some kind of snap protection on the end). Sony funds some cool vr stuff and Dreams VR could be super cool especially if they do a soft relaunch for ps5 and allow the use of all its power within it.

But I just can’t with psvr anymore, I don’t think I’ll even bother getting the connector for ps5. The tracking is just garbage in 2021 and the move controllers are obviously terrible compared to what’s out there now. And yeah then there’s the display itself which is way behind. It’s just a really bad constricted experience compared to quest 2, so I’m really happy they didn’t dare try to put the same setup on ps5.

At least this should be good enough for me to play the Sony exclusive stuff here if the cord is the only disadvantage still over quest.

I'll most likely be passing on this.  I bought the $599 launch bundle. I feel like I got my money's worth, but the thought of investing in another headset and controllers just isnt going to happen for me. I don't see any VR game on the pc side that is revolutionizing the vr space drawing in crowds of new owners. At this time, I don't see what Sony could do to change much. 

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I'll most likely be passing on this.  I bought the $599 launch bundle. I feel like I got my money's worth, but the thought of investing in another headset and controllers just isnt going to happen for me. I don't see any VR game on the pc side that is revolutionizing the vr space drawing in crowds of new owners. At this time, I don't see what Sony could do to change much. 

Maybe don't worry about a game being revolutionary and just worry if fun VR games comes along from Sony.

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe don't worry about a game being revolutionary and just worry if fun VR games comes along from Sony.

A handful of fun stuff is fine, but not $300-500 fine. Not anymore for me anyways. I don't doubt Sony can launch new hardware and have it sell well. I just picture the same old song and dance where the headset ends up sitting in my drawer a month later. 

43 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

A handful of fun stuff is fine, but not $300-500 fine. Not anymore for me anyways. I don't doubt Sony can launch new hardware and have it sell well. I just picture the same old song and dance where the headset ends up sitting in my drawer a month later. 

Fair enough. My friend gave me his old one and I never used it. </3

I don't have a PSVR, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was the games tend to be those that can be played standing in place or sitting, generally facing forward. It obviously limits the design space, but was necessary due to the nature of the tracking. 

I guess I figured that even if the next version has inside out tracking that they'd continue catering to a similar set of experiences, in which case, wires aren't that big of a deal.

Don't get me wrong, I have a quest 2 and I love the lack of wires, but I'm sure that a wired PSVR would be much cheaper.

That’s why I want it built for options! Either an add on or launch with two options for wireless or not. And psvr wasn’t revolutionary because it was so limited without the room scale ability and proper tracking, I don’t see why they have to stick with only sit down stuff if those limitations are gone.

Most games are sit down or room scale and work both ways anyway.

I'm glad that they're doing something because it seemed as if they might abandon VR entirely.  I will say though, as somebody who has PSVR and was quite blown away by unique games like Astro Bot, Wipeout, Paper Beast, etc., I don't know if it will ever not be a niche product.  The only way that it can break through is if it becomes as simple and easy as putting on sunglasses, and even then, the barrier becomes the complete sensory deprivation that's at once both the draw and the drawback in my experience.  Over time I used the headset less and less, because it's disorienting and quite overwhelming, and playing on a TV where I could react to other things is so much easier to manage.  It's an aspect that I don't see talked about a lot, but I think as cool as it is to be completely immersed in a virtual world, the requirement to be completely switched off may be a significant issue for some people like it was for me.

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Nobody wants VR. Give us the Vita 2. 

Naww, people love vr, its all about getting the tech right. 

If you haven't played Half-Life:Alyx on a decent rig, your opinion on vr means nothing. Theres no experience in gaming nearly as intense.

And MS Flight Sim, WOW! I badly need a really good flight setup.

18 hours ago, Biggie said:

Nobody wants VR. Give us the Vita 2. 

Have you ever tried it? My best experience with vr has been RE7. Played the entire game in vr. That was an extremely immersive experience. I can't imagine how cool quest is. If it's only one cord for psvr2 that isn't that big of a deal. 

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Have you ever tried it? My best experience with vr has been RE7. Played the entire game in vr. That was an extremely immersive experience. I can't imagine how cool quest is. If it's only one cord for psvr2 that isn't that big of a deal. 

Nah not a fan

• SaysWho? changed the title to PSVR2 confirmed (single cord, won't be launching in 2021) (UPDATE: Patent shows new controller, trying to see if non-electronic things like bananas can be controllers)
On 2/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I'm glad that they're doing something because it seemed as if they might abandon VR entirely.  I will say though, as somebody who has PSVR and was quite blown away by unique games like Astro Bot, Wipeout, Paper Beast, etc., I don't know if it will ever not be a niche product.  The only way that it can break through is if it becomes as simple and easy as putting on sunglasses, and even then, the barrier becomes the complete sensory deprivation that's at once both the draw and the drawback in my experience.  Over time I used the headset less and less, because it's disorienting and quite overwhelming, and playing on a TV where I could react to other things is so much easier to manage.  It's an aspect that I don't see talked about a lot, but I think as cool as it is to be completely immersed in a virtual world, the requirement to be completely switched off may be a significant issue for some people like it was for me.

VR will absolutely be mainstream in the future. Within a decade, im betting it's how we will play the majority of games, once the tech is cheaper and scaled down in size (say, ski goggle size), itll be very popular, but cost can't be the barrier of entry it is now.

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

VR will absolutely be mainstream in the future. Within a decade, im betting it's how we will play the majority of games, once the tech is cheaper and scaled down in size (say, ski goggle size), itll be very popular, but cost can't be the barrier of entry it is now.

That sounds terrific. Like you said, the vr has to be so seamless, extremely comfortable "goggle size", and very user friendly for it to fully take off. I've read that quest 2 is making strides in that direction. I can't wait. 10 years sounds about right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...