PSVR2 confirmed (single cord, won't be launching in 2021) (UPDATE: Patent shows new controller, trying to see if non-electronic things like bananas can be controllers)

SaysWho?

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

No, he’s right, $400 at launch.

I don’t know what this will hit at honestly.  If it’s over $300 I’ll be waiting for it to go down, and my interest will also hugely depend on whether older titles work.  

I just said “I must be looking at the current msrp.” :p 

Thinking a bit more about this, and I think it's fair to expect PSVR2 to be home to the best looking VR games for the foreseeable future. High end PC VR games like Alyx hardly exist. Meanwhile, the PS5 is powerful enough that new games could look much better than we've been seeing elsewhere, especially if foveated rendering works as well as people hope it might.

There doesn't seem to be much indication that Meta is terribly close to releasing a Quest 3, and even when they do, it's likely that it'll remain focused on being a stand alone device, keeping it well behind the PS5's processing power.

So I really hope that Sony nails it with the PSVR2, because it's our best chance for high end VR experiences for a while.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

This will probably be my first real entry to VR since I refuse to buy anything from Facebook.

(I considered the Valve Index, but it's (1) expensive and (2) I think still uses base stations instead of inside out tracking?)

But now you can buy the Quest from Meta instead of Facebook! *somewhere in fb labs* “Ah-hah got em!”

Edit: yeah Vive still uses bases, they didn’t get the memo that nobody cares if they are technically more accurate right now, nobody wants to deal

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

tl;dr please!

Just look at the chart lol, but PSVR2 destroys it, though it will likely be going against a successor. Higher res, supports hdr, headset vibration, eye tracking, 20 degree higher field of view, same 120hz Quest 2 has been patched to, oled vs lcd. The last one though, there was a huge brightness gain when Quest actually switched from oled to lcd that overall was an improvement, but I have a feeling the oled Sony uses will be plenty bright.

Overall it sounds like a nice step forward from the Quest 2, I guess we will see how much is being fast and loose with the jargon and how much is legit, mostly thinking of the eye tracking and foveated rendering. If that’s the real deal the thing should be able to have visuals not just on par with ps5, but beyond what the ps5 can push on a flat screen.

• Thanks 1

Something I think is worth pointing out is that the PSVR2 resolution isn't much higher, but they're promising a good deal more FOV. I'd be very happy if the FOV number is real, but I would also suspect that the limited resolution increase would mean a very similar perceptible pixel density / screen door effect. It'll also very much depend on the how good the lenses are, but I have high hopes based on how much effort Sony seems to be making.

Very much hoping it makes it out this year, but even if does I wouldn't expect to be able to buy one.

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, Stickey said:

This headset will sell for a minimum of 500 bucks. Quest 3 and pro will be launching in the coming months. Super pumped as all I play is VR

No. It won't be over 400. Sony knows a device priced higher than that has little chance of success. I think it'll be 350$. 

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yes the company selling the $500 console and $70 games knows higher prices have little chances of success.

You can get the console for 400$, and while it still sucks, 70$ for a game is still well behind inflation and the cost of making them has gotten higher every generation  But theres still a huge difference between the console and the accessory.

8 hours ago, Stickey said:

That would be a huge hit to there wallets. It would make no sense taking a loss unless they were fully invested. 

The quest 2 is cheaper than that. Quest 3, which should be out before this, will also be cheaper. Hardware has been a loss leader for decades, aside from Nintendo. It's doubtful to me that it is over 400$.

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

The quest 2 is cheaper than that. Quest 3, which should be out before this, will also be cheaper. Hardware has been a loss leader for decades, aside from Nintendo. It's doubtful to me that it is over 400$.

Quest is taking a HUGE hit with its pricing. We all know where the cost is made up, not just software. Look at the price of any headset outside of Meta. Do you think every other company doesn't want to sell their hardware? Now put that together with higher end specs than anything that's been released. It's going to be premium device with a price to match. 

I expect that Sony knows that they can price this thing at $600 for the first 6-12 months and they'd never be able to keep them in stock, so I have to assume that the eventual price will be as much a PR move as it is a business decision.

Also not sure why anyone would expect the Quest 3 this year. I don't follow all things VR as closely as I once did, but far as I can tell Zuck said "Project Cambria" will release this year, but it's going to be competing more in the enterprise space and used as a test bed for the eventual Quest 3. given that Cambria is still so secretive and with a complete lack of competition and an on-going chip shortage, it wouldn't shock me if we don't hear more about it until Connect in October, which wouldn't exactly give the Quest 3 much time after that.

18 hours ago, Stickey said:

Quest is taking a HUGE hit with its pricing. We all know where the cost is made up, not just software. Look at the price of any headset outside of Meta. Do you think every other company doesn't want to sell their hardware? Now put that together with higher end specs than anything that's been released. It's going to be premium device with a price to match. 

400$ is premium in the console space. I don't personally see it going over that. I know that if it gets up over 5, I would be looking at a new HTC instead. 

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

400$ is premium in the console space. I don't personally see it going over that. I know that if it gets up over 5, I would be looking at a new HTC instead. 

That would be a massive downgrade, even if it was the same price you would get WAY better optics, Sony exclusives, and a much cheaper cost to entry being played off of a 500 console rather then a 1200+ gaming pc. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Im really interested in seeing what they do with Horizon in VR. 

Seeing a tallneck in VR sounds like a blast.

What’s been shown looks to be Pokemon Snap-esq. Seeing the robots in scale will be fun regardless, though 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What’s been shown looks to be Pokemon Snap-esq. Seeing the robots in scale will be fun regardless, though 

Didn't they only show a very short clip of a canoe ride? Not saying you're for sure wrong, but seems like a stretch to say it'sPokémon snap (god I hope it'snot Pokémon snap). Did they show more than that?

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Didn't they only show a very short clip of a canoe ride? Not saying you're for sure wrong, but seems like a stretch to say it'sPokémon snap (god I hope it'snot Pokémon snap). Did they show more than that?

I’m talking about that it’s seemingly on rails based on the dev comments I remember reading.