Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

I'm watching Obama on CNN right now.  It's a bit weird having a rally and no one (that you can hear on TV) is responding, applauding, or cheering to his speech.  It's a bit awkward because Obama will pause after a statement.  It's like watching Friends without the laugh track.

Whether Biden or Trump win, life will still go on. Don’t be consumed by the results. Maybe even plan to do something else besides watch the election returns on Tuesday.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Whether Biden or Trump win, life will still go on. Don’t be consumed by the results. Maybe even plan to do something else besides watch the election returns on Tuesday.

Technically, if Trump wins life will not go on. The climate change doomsday clock is so bad they have it up in NYC - the redline, the point of no return, wherein climate change has won and anything we do past that point is simply mitigating the damages. That timeline is only 7 years and some months away.

If Trump wins, he will continue to roll back and destroy federal environmental regulations. That's not even making the steps towards working with other countries, which scientists say the world will have to come together and get $3 trillion or something to "fix" climate change.

And with the United States out of the picture, and countries like India not giving a fuck, the rest of the world won't have the diplomatic power or resources to win the fight and it'll only be more GOP presidents if Trump wins (he'll make it impossible for a Democrat to ever win again during his second term with more court packing, gerry mandering, etc.). So with only 7 years left, and if Trump wins GOP presidents through those 7 years, climate change wins and we effectively have lost and die a slow death over the next few decades, with humanity theoretically ending between 2070-2090 depending on how much we can mitigate or if some miracle comes that stops climate change. 

So, actually, yeah, if Trump wins, life will go on, but not for good. This has actually been my biggest fear (among many of them) about Trump winning. If he wins I told my wife we have to move out of the country (because Trump is gonna turn USA further into a fascistic state) and find a quiet place to live out our years since humanity will likely be no more. Is there something I'm missing (asking the board in general) about all this? Am I wrong about the science or the timeline? Because I know I'm right that if Trump wins, the world can't come together any time soon to fix climate change since America is so important to the process.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

In case people don't know, Harris County is where Houston proper is located (and both of my drive ins). I'll give to three guesses as to the demographics in the county ;) 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Technically, if Trump wins life will not go on. The climate change doomsday clock is so bad they have it up in NYC - the redline, the point of no return, wherein climate change has won and anything we do past that point is simply mitigating the damages. That timeline is only 7 years and some months away.

Nothing major will change in the US to combat climate change in a Biden presidency, so this is pretty much irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nothing major will change in the US to combat climate change in a Biden presidency, so this is pretty much irrelevant.

I significantly disagree - and Biden allows for a road to at least start some sort of process. He at least listens to scientists and knows climate change is real. Kamala Harris is much younger and definitely sees the writing on the wall. Biden will have advisors, etc. He knows about Greta Thunberg. I don't expect him to do much, but at least then in 2024 when AOC wins the presidency (lol) we have effectively 3 more years to fix it at that point. It's at least a path. Trump provides no path. He's actually an anti-path.

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

Is curbside voting illegal?  What's the issue?

It was an option put in place by the county, and the argument is supposed to be that only state legislatures can set rules for voting. Throwing out 100,000 votes that have already been cast based on this is obviously absurd (as he explains further down in the thread, the Texas SCOTUS already upheld curbside voting and this is only getting traction now through federal courts), but with a 6-3 conservative SCOTUS advantage they figure they can get away with it and they're just gonna go for it.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not doing much is better than actively being on the side of climate catastrophe

It isn't in regards to the notion being put forward that climate change will end humanity. Either we do something to actually reverse course on climate change, or we are simply talking timelines to catastrophe.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It isn't in regards to the notion being put forward that climate change will end humanity. Either we do something to actually reverse course on climate change, or we are simply talking timelines to catastrophe.

Agreed - but climate change will end humanity unless we do something to reverse course, with Trump that won't happen. With Biden (and democrat presidents down the line), maybe it might happen. I'll take the might.

At least humanity then has some chance. With Trump, no chance, so if Trump wins, again, humanity certainly will die. With Biden at least it's not a certainty. No?

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed - but climate change will end humanity unless we do something to reverse course, with Trump that won't happen. With Biden (and democrat presidents down the line), maybe it might happen. I'll take the might.

At least humanity then has some chance. With Trump, no chance, so if Trump wins, again, humanity will die. No?

The US is only one piece of the puzzle. The world is collectively missing the mark on where scientists say we need to be to reverse climate change. Even in an AOC administration and a government filled with DSA candidates, the US would only be able to so much in changing something that is a global issue. I think the truth is that a Biden administration at most gets us on a better path towards mitigating the looming effects of climate change, not doing anything to reverse it.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We need to get ourselves out of a hole, and our options are to dig at a slow pace or dig even faster. There is a clear better choice

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We need to dig ourselves out of a hole, and our options are to dig at a slow pace or dig even faster. There is a clear better choice

Again, not in the context of Great's doomsday prophecy that climate change is the end of humanity. What is needed to *reverse* climate change is far more than what Biden is proposing and this democratic house and senate will pass. So we are only talking on the US side about whether his doomsday events are late in the century or slightly later in this century.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

The US is only one piece of the puzzle. The world is collectively missing the mark on where scientists say we need to be to reverse climate change. Even in an AOC administration and a government filled with DSA candidates, the US would only be able to so much in changing something that is a global issue. I think the truth is that a Biden administration at most gets us on a better path towards mitigating the looming effects of climate change, not doing anything to reverse it.

Agreed fully! But don't you think a Biden (and later a Harris or AOC) administration would try to work with NATO, our allies, and the UN? I think they would. They would provide incentives to other countries (or disincentives, as the case may call for) and make it happen. I agree everyone's dropping the ball worldwide on this issue, but America has a lot of power and weight (even still) to push the world in the right direction (Gore would have done it during his administration, or tried to, if Bush hadn't stole the election from him in 2000 - my biggest heartbreak during that time was I knew we wouldn't get climate change going). You don't believe America could unite the world at some point down the road once we get our shit together? I think we would try mightily and succeed to some degree.

Either way, I remain correct that if Trump wins, life will not go on, whereas if Biden wins, life might. That remains true, no?

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We need to get ourselves out of a hole, and our options are to dig at a slow pace or dig even faster. There is a clear better choice

I think this is an apt description

Again, not in the context of Great's doomsday prophecy that climate change is the end of humanity. What is needed to *reverse* climate change is far more than what Biden is proposing and this democratic house and senate will pass. So we are only talking on the US side about whether his doomsday events are late in the century or slightly later in this century.

I don't disagree but it's fundamentally stupid to think that a Biden would veto something similar to a green new deal if it goes through congress. Biden is the median democrat, if it gets through congress he's gonna bite, if for nothing else but his legacy

I clearly have more faith in the future post-Biden presidency than you do. I grant with Biden it's only a might - thus only delaying the inevitable. But at least there's a might, so how is my doomsday prophecy incorrect? :)

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Hopefully this helps alleviate some worry. The polls would have to be more wrong than 2016 for Biden to lose.

It's reassuring somewhat, but with what we've seen the last few days with ballots sitting around in the post offices in Florida, and the potential for the last arriving ballots to get thrown out in PA, that seems like exactly the sort of thing that would turn a win by <1% into a loss. I think he needs to win by big margins in most of the swing states at this point or it's going to be successfully stolen. Literally every 6 hours there's a new tweet from someone like Mark Joeseph Stern who knows what they're talking about when it comes to the litigation part of this that includes the phrase "this is alarming."

A54BHBBXVBBTTGAI66ID5U7OVM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

After Nickelodeon filtered out votes from bots, the kids chose Biden over Trump in the channel's poll, which has been held every presidential election cycle since...

Nickelodean does a better job of stopping bots than tech companies :p 

• Haha 2

This is a pretty good watch:

She shares a skit she made for Late Night w/Seth Meyers a couple days before the 2016 election, which was supposed to air the day after the election as they expected a Hillary win. Since Trump won, the skit didn’t air. The skit itself and her reason for showing it are both, IMO, a good watch/listen.

• Thanks 1