Showtime announces 10-episode revival of...Dexter

Dexter.jpg?w=800
DEADLINE.COM

Dexter is back to his blood-splattering ways after Showtime ordered a new limited series reboot of the long-running serial killer drama. Michael C. Hall, who played Dexter in the series, which ran …

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Showtime announces 10-episode revival of...Dexter
6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Hmmm, OK, but is it the same writers that phoned in that shit burger of a final season? 

Actually it will be handled by the original showrunner Clyde Phillips; the one who handled seasons 1-4, i.e. the best ones, so there's hope. Maybe he wants to fix because he too is pissed off to see what happened when he left. Scott Buck was the showrunner for seasons 6-8, and pretty much ruined the show. Season 7 wasn't bad, but 6 and 8 were easily the worst (and then he went on to do Inhumans and Iron Fist for Marvel and those were bad shows).

I know Clyde Phillips said that he originally wanted to end the show by having Dexter in the injection chair just as they're starting to administer the drugs, looking out the viewing glass at everyone there to watch him die, and he sees all the people he's killed, and even the ones he's somewhat responsible for like Doakes (surprise, motherfucker!). Which, while seeing his victims might be a little hokey, sounds a lot better than what we got. The series should have ended with people finding out who Dexter really is. Compare how this show progressed and ended to something like Breaking Bad, which wasn't content with keeping the status quo, and always upping the stakes, and it's just pathetic.

They had books that they should of used for some of the seasons, but ruined their real chance of being used because the show bumped off some of the major characters involved. Would love a soft reboot to how the last season ended too, but maybe they’ll bring his adoptive kids back into the fold. In the books Dexter finds out that they too have a “dark passenger” within them. They both took on a dark passenger from the abuse they and their mom suffered from their biological dad. Cody even got himself a check mark on the board in the 3rd or 4th book. Just find a way to use elements of the 2nd books main villain, cause I wanna see some hardcore hangman gameplay along with a “human potato” on the tv.

Didn't the later books start getting a bit more supernatural, and jump the shark a bit? I think third or fourth. I remember reading about the second book and thinking it sounded good and would have been cool to see elements from it come into the show. I think I read that in it LaGuerta finds out Dexter is a serial killer, but someone else cuts off her hands, and tongue so she can't say anything. 

5 hours ago, Brick said:

Didn't the later books start getting a bit more supernatural, and jump the shark a bit? 

In Dexter in the Dark, the third novel of the series, third-person narrative reveals through an entity referred to as "IT" that the Dark Passenger is an independent agent inhabiting Dexter, rather than a deviant psychological construction. Later, Dexter realizes the Dark Passenger is related to Moloch, a Middle Eastern deity worshiped in Biblical times. The Dark Passenger is one of Moloch's many offspring; Moloch had many children (formed through human sacrifice), and learned to share its knowledge with them. Eventually, there were too many, and Moloch killed the majority; however, some of them escaped into the world. In the novel, Dexter learns of the Dark Passenger's true nature when it briefly "leaves" him, frightening him into researching possible reasons for its existence.

50 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Yeah that's just stupid. Sounds like the author wanted to do a fantasy story, but was worried about sales, so rather than make it a separate bookline he made it a Dexter book to help cash in on the name recognition. 

• 6 months later...

I think it's at least promising that Clyde Phillips, the showrunner for the first four seasons (aka the good half of the show) is coming back to do this after he left the show after season 4. While I thought season 5 was good (though they dropped the ball at the ending of it by not doing a twist they should have done) season 6 was garbage tier and season 7 the first half was excellent and the second half shit the bed, which went right into the shitty season 8. Between seasons 5-8 there is probably one seasons' worth of really good episodes in there.

Obviously, it's all cannon so they have to deal with the show's terrible ending, but maybe bringing back the writer who made the show good will help.

I’m just hoping that they replace Dexter’s dad with Deb as his moral compass. Plus she shouldn’t have been killed off and still wish they had used the books for a couple other seasons. Again the 2nd book in the series would of been a

amazing and creepy to watch. Hopefully they will maybe adapt the story a little into this season. Who wouldn’t want their serial (I guess not a complete killer) doctor mangle a few people into human potatoes. Takes away their limbs, tongue and eyelids as he has his victims strapped down to a table under mirror. Forcing them to play his literal game of hangman, where each wrong letter, makes you loose a digit/limb. 

in the books he was tied to Doakes past where he was on special force missions, before joint the police squad. Deb eventually has a relationship and a kid with one of Doakes old colleagues who loses I think a few fingers too to the mad doctor they were meant to kill years ago.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think it's at least promising that Clyde Phillips, the showrunner for the first four seasons (aka the good half of the show) is coming back to do this after he left the show after season 4. While I thought season 5 was good (though they dropped the ball at the ending of it by not doing a twist they should have done) season 6 was garbage tier and season 7 the first half was excellent and the second half shit the bed, which went right into the shitty season 8. Between seasons 5-8 there is probably one seasons' worth of really good episodes in there.

Obviously, it's all cannon so they have to deal with the show's terrible ending, but maybe bringing back the writer who made the show good will help.

My thoughts almost exactly; I remember liking the second half of season 7.

37 minutes ago, Brick said:

My thoughts almost exactly; I remember liking the second half of season 7.

Whatever half had Ray Stevenson. The build up separately with Deb whilst that story was playing out was genuinely good, I think it was the first half though. Looking at AV Club, it looks like it was the first half that was good. The second half goes to shit and is what precipitates season 8. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Whatever half had Ray Stevenson

I actually don't remember that much with what happened with him other than him quickly killing off that lame game designer who got all pissed off that Dexter found his game disturbing...that was a pathetic plot point. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Who was the big bad in season 7?

LaGuerta pretty much became the main enemy for Dexter that year, but shows how great of a baddy they had that year if we can’t remember them. She was killed by Dexter’s brother in first book, and he lives in the end. Actually he comes back a couple times in later books and interacts with Rita, Deb and the kids. The kids are also on the serial killer path thanks to the abuse of their father, both possess the dark passenger entity. Be a cool cliff hanger to have them show up, grown up looking for guidance on their new path and maybe another season (if they don’t fuck this up)

Dexter was such a fun, guilty pleasure show that absolutely dove off a cliff and decided that gravity was too weak and strapped on jet engines aimed straight down.  I bailed before my wife but would watch over her shoulder from time to time and we would joke about how late series Dexter seemed to exist only to fill some Faustian bargain Shotime made in terms of tits per hour.   The excuses this show made to get women topless were award worthy.  Dexter goes to a high school reunion for some reason only for a woman we went to school with to blow him while fully topless and then immediately leave forever. 

I remember thinking Dexter Season 1 was amazing and gradually felt it decline as it went along. I was considering revisiting the early seasons just to see if they still hold up. I'm open to the idea that Dexter could be good again, but at this point I won't expect it to be.

The problem with season 2 was it was full of deus ex machina moments; way too many easy and convenient solutions to Dexter getting away. Hiding behind a chair during the fire alarm? Seriously? Sure it was still good and fun overall, but it got silly. It also probably shouldn't have been the second season. Would have worked as a last season. First three quarters he evades the police, then the last quarter they find out everything about him, and he's on the run. Even if they didn't want to make that a final season and have him get caught that way, probably still should have been a later season. 

3 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Season 2 was also a fun romp, it's hard to maintain the initial novelty though.  Whatever season had John Lithgow was also decent if I remember, but then the whole thing just completely went off the rails.

Lithgow season was season 4. 

44 minutes ago, Brick said:

The problem with season 2 was it was full of deus ex machina moments; way too many easy and convenient solutions to Dexter getting away. Hiding behind a chair during the fire alarm? Seriously? Sure it was still good and fun overall, but it got silly. It also probably shouldn't have been the second season. Would have worked as a last season. First three quarters he evades the police, then the last quarter they find out everything about him, and he's on the run. Even if they didn't want to make that a final season and have him get caught that way, probably still should have been a later season. 

All true but I did enjoy season 2 a lot anyway. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I was going to share that the other day when I saw it but didn't think many were too keen on this new season. 

Seeing as no one replied in a month after me posting the other one, probably not. :p

If people like it or not don't be afraid to post your PC+1 :dab2: