Showtime announces 10-episode revival of...Dexter

So I'm partway through the second episode, and I'm impressed at how good the show has been.

One trope I absolutely hate is having every teen dude just be a complete dickbag. It's tired and should've stayed dead after The Breakfast Club killed it 36 years ago. It would honestly be so unexpected and refreshing to see some kids in letterman jackets just not be awful.

Stupid Facebook ruining the Angel surprise by the Dexter page posting it. I wasn't able to see the episode right away, you fucking dolts!

Anyways, nice to see things ramping up. I'm usually rooting for Dexter to kill some baddies, but here I'm just sitting thinking, "don't do it", because you know it's all going to come crashing down. A bit of questionable writing though. He's really going to kill the guy in his own house when he knows the Iron Lake PD have his address and could show up at any minute, which surprise they did! C'mon. Also the dialogue with Angel and him telling Angela about Deb and Harrison was clunky. I'm thinking Caldwell is killing out of grief, maybe he killed his wife or daughter in a hunting accident, or in a blind rage, and feels guilty about it, but is like Trinity in that he needs to recreate the kill with these young girls somehow.

@Greatoneshere how did you post that quote from the episode before it aired?

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Stupid Facebook ruining the Angel surprise by the Dexter page posting it. I wasn't able to see the episode right away, you fucking dolts!

Anyways, nice to see things ramping up. I'm usually rooting for Dexter to kill some baddies, but here I'm just sitting thinking, "don't do it", because you know it's all going to come crashing down. A bit of questionable writing though. He's really going to kill the guy in his own house when he knows the Iron Lake PD have his address and could show up at any minute, which surprise they did! C'mon. Also the dialogue with Angel and him telling Angela about Deb and Harrison was clunky. I'm thinking Caldwell is killing out of grief, maybe he killed his wife or daughter in a hunting accident, or in a blind rage, and feels guilty about it, but is like Trinity in that he needs to recreate the kill with these young girls somehow.

I agree those parts were definitely clunky. The police procedural stuff has always been the laziest writing on Dexter. As for the quote, I'm a pirate on the high seas, and I believe the episode drops sooner on streaming services in other countries, making it readily available sooner than here. 

7 hours ago, Brick said:

Showtime Anytime puts the episodes up at like 9am EST on Sundays so you can watch it early. If you have a Showtime sub, you likely have Showtime Anytime, just like HBO and HBO Max.

How are we all wanting it to end? Do we want Dexter to finally get caught and for it all to come out and crashing down on him, ala how Breaking Bad ended, or do we want him to get a proper, truly happy ending where he can put away his Dark Passenger for good? 

I've only seen through the sixth episode, but I really enjoy how this season feels like an inverted crime thriller. There could easily be a show about Molly investigating this small town disappearance and the twist is that this guy in the background is the killer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally caught back up on the series and I've enjoyed where the show has gone so far - the actor playing Harrison is doing a really good job. It's been highly entertaining so far, and seeing old school Miami Dexter in the Mr. Wiggles flashback scene was a treat. I didn't think the show would try to go where it did in an honest way, but for Dexter I think they're pulling it off so far.

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

That was pretty intense at times. Not sure how I fully feel about it. Certainly better than the original ending. I'll have to ruminate on it. 

What did everyone else think of it? 

I enjoyed this, and wouldn't have been mad for it to be more than one season.

Lurking Reddit just to see what other people thought even though I don't post there, and people are not pleased. They also can't get over the "plot hole" of Dexter using ketamine, and Angela Googling "Miami Metro ketamine", and it bringing up an article on the Bay Harbor Butcher when in the original series Dexter used M99. Like OK yeah that's a slight inconsistency, but whatever.

I was fine with the ending even if UT felt a little rushed and unearned. I hope to God they don't keep this series going with Harrison... even though it sounds like they might want to.

clyde-phillips-dexter.jpg
COLLIDER.COM

He also discusses the Easter egg in the show's opening titles and how the finale script was kept secret from cast and crew.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:07 PM, Brick said:

That was pretty intense at times. Not sure how I fully feel about it. Certainly better than the original ending. I'll have to ruminate on it. 

What did everyone else think of it? 

I really liked it! It was great to finally see the noose tighten around Dexter, revealing that he really is an animal when he's backed into a corner, he really will do anything to survive. I don't think any ending would make everyone happy, but I felt they threaded the needle well. Jack Alcott, the actor playing Harrison, helped a lot - I felt he was really good. And Michael C. Hall acted the shit out of this season.

AV Club reviewer really liked the episode, but the comments were much more divisive. I think this felt like a real show, I think people just wanted more Dexter having fun and killing people in a Miami-type setting (dangling LA in this episode was definitely a comment on that I thought). I do think the show should end now though, a sequel series with Harrison would be dumb.

• Like 1

The finale is now the lowest rated episode in all of Dexter, even lower than the season 8 finale. Really? Just seems like overreactionary people on the Internet, yet again. Even if you didn't like the episode, like really it's a 1/10, or worse than that original finale? Seems people are just pissed because they thought it was a bad ending again. I've been reading some of the complaints, and quite honestly I don't think some of them are very fair. 

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

The finale is now the lowest rated episode in all of Dexter, even lower than the season 8 finale. Really? Just seems like overreactionary people on the Internet, yet again. Even if you didn't like the episode, like really it's a 1/10, or worse than that original finale? Seems people are just pissed because they thought it was a bad ending again. I've been reading some of the complaints, and quite honestly I don't think some of them are very fair. 

This was definitely a better ending than the original one... no idea how folks think it isn't. I have some suspicions though.

• True 1

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This was definitely a better ending than the original one... no idea how folks think it isn't. I have some suspicions though.

Like I said previously I browsed the Dexter subreddit out of curiosity, and it reminded me why I don't post on that cesspool of a site. First of all there are too many members; reddit has millions of people on there, so I don't really know how you can form a sense of community, even if just on a subreddit level. At least here because we're a smaller forum we get to know each other better, and can actually have discussions on things, which leads me to my second point; reddit just becomes an echo chamber. Everyone there seems to just be hating on and making memes about the ending now. It's the same phenomenon I saw with The Last Jedi where people who are perpetually online get too influenced by the popular opinion, and let it sway their own, and start going with the grain. 

Add to that that everyone thinks they're a critic now, but really are just nitpicking everything because the school of Cinema Sins YouTube told them to be overly critical of everything in order to sound smart. 

Again if someone didn't like the ending, and can explain their thoughts well I'd love to hear it, but so many complaints, which I'll address later when I have more time, don't really seem that big to me. I thought the ending was fine. Not great, and I certainly would have loved an ending to rival season one's finale, or season four's, or hell even Ozymandias from Breaking Bad (OK tall order), and there are some missed opportunities (really would have loved a Dexter and Angel reunion), but overall pretty good. 

Cool little detail I thought of today. Back when Dexter first premiered the first kill we saw him commit was against a pedophile/child murderer, and he even tells the guy that he could never do what he does, "...children I could never do that, not like you. Never, ever kids." This is a clever writing technique to get us on Dexter's side because the idea of a show about a serial killer as the protagonist is kind of risky, and dark, even if he's killing other killers, but letting us know that he would never harm a child shows that he does have some sort of moral code and standards, and he's not THAT evil; he's not an absolute monster who would kill the most innocent of us all in children. 

Who does Dexter decide to choose as his example when telling Harrison about his Dark Passenger? Wiggles the Clown; a child raping murderer, and therefore an undeniably awful piece of human garbage. Out of all the examples Dexter could have chosen to tell Harrison about, Harrison would most likely see the necessity of stopping someone like Wiggles. 

I feel that there was one thing that SHOULD have happened

Spoiler

Angel should have had a face to face w/ Dexter once more to tie things together

Aside from that, the show did nearly everything right. Made me genuinely CARE about Dexter, everything that was happening, Clancy killed it in his role, the kid playing Harrison was spectacular, and the Sheriff girlfriend was genuinely smart & not blinded by the truth of who & what Dexter truly was, which was thrilling in its own right as well. I had a feeling some sort of finality was inevitable here but I think it's more "Welp, he's gone." that hurts more than anything.