Disney announces reorganization - streaming becoming its primary focus.

106410802-1582723392778bob.jpg?v=1582723
WWW.CNBC.COM

Disney is restructuring its media and entertainment divisions, as streaming becomes the most important facet of the company's business.

Disney is restructuring its media and entertainment divisions, as streaming becomes the most important facet of the company’s business.

On Monday, the company revealed that in order to further accelerate it’s direct-to-consumer strategy, it would be centralizing its media businesses into a single organization that will be responsible for content distribution, ad sales and Disney+.

The move by Disney comes as the global coronavirus pandemic has crippled its theatrical business and ushered more customers towards its streaming options. As of August, Disney has 100 million paid subscribers across its streaming offerings, more than half of which are subscribers to Disney+.

The timing of Disney+ was very fortunate for them.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Disney announces reorganization - streaming becoming it's primary focus.
16 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

RIP movie theaters

Perhaps, but I actually take this is as moderately good news for theatres, as mentioned elsewhere here. If Disney saw a future in PPV movies then it would be much worse for theatres. At least in this future (as Disney sees it), people will still want to see movies in theatres, but many will be happy to just pay a monthly fee and see them at home. And for many, they will pay the monthly fee and see certain movies in theatres. 

Personally, I only go to theatres 3-5 times per year for the big event movies, and I probably still will once the pandemic is over. But I'll also be subscribing to Disney+ and have access to watch those movies at home, should I prefer. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Disney announces reorganization - streaming becoming its primary focus.
4 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Hope they still release Blu rays and 4k Blurays. 

I hope so too. Not that their 4ks are amazing quality or anything, but they already said they weren’t going to do anymore physical 4K for their back titles as well as the ones for Fox... which is awful 

6 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Hope they still release Blu rays and 4k Blurays. 

I'm certain they will... those still make money for them. Shit in some areas I wouldn't be surprised if they put out VHS tapes still :p 

In all seriousness this was coming sooner or later. My understanding was that Disney had BEEN wanting to shorten the theatrical to home window... the pandemic just accelerated that. I'd really hate to see movie theaters disappear and I don't think they will entirely. Multiplexes might, though.

I mean, exhibition is collapsing. There won’t be enough locations remaining when the dust settles. Will be years before screen counts bounce back in any meaningful way.

As a drive in guy, this is *great* news. Still makes me sad for all my friends in the business who have lost all value in their business.

Theaters won’t die. They’ll just need to continue evolving the way they already were. Theaters will have to continue to cater even more to the “experience” vs the default way to see new movies. Upping the service level and the quality of the actual

theaters themselves I think will go a long way.  But unlike renting movies I think there will always be a large enough segment of the population that enjoys the experience of going to the the movies that it will always be around in some form. The shut in, introverted nerds won’t ruin everything for everyone. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Theaters won’t die. They’ll just need to continue evolving the way they already were. Theaters will have to continue to cater even more to the “experience” vs the default way to see new movies. Upping the service level and the quality of the actual

theaters themselves I think will go a long way.  But unlike renting movies I think there will always be a large enough segment of the population that enjoys the experience of going to the the movies that it will always be around in some form. The shut in, introverted nerds won’t ruin everything for everyone. 

The problem right now is that basically every theater chain big and small is about to go out of business or massively contract in a restructuring. That’s why Disney is making these moves now. So the question is how does the theatrical business comeback over the next 5 years.

Personally and professionally, I’m VERY excited for the sea change that is about to occur in the industry. The business has been dominated by dinosaurs who have been slow to react and mostly just fought to keep the status quo. But that is all out the window. It’s going to take some fresh ideas to create a new and sustainable model for theaters.

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The problem right now is that basically every theater chain big and small is about to go out of business or massively contract in a restructuring. That’s why Disney is making these moves now. So the question is how does the theatrical business comeback over the next 5 years.

Personally and professionally, I’m VERY excited for the sea change that is about to occur in the industry. The business has been dominated by dinosaurs who have been slow to react and mostly just fought to keep the status quo. But that is all out the window. It’s going to take some fresh ideas to create a new and sustainable model for theaters.

Fresh ideas like Disney owning their own theaters that sell tickets for 50% off with free popcorn if you buy them through your Disney+ subscription.

I don’t think Disney is very interested in getting into the theater ownership game beyond vanity locations like they already have with El Capitan. I actually see Amazon as the much more likely brick and mortar theater operator of the major content studios and they certainly would offer Prime discounts.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think Disney is very interested in getting into the theater ownership game beyond vanity locations like they already have with El Capitan. I actually see Amazon as the much more likely brick and mortar theater operator of the major content studios and they certainly would offer Prime discounts.

I could totally see Amazon pick up Regal, but they'd make it so you could only buy tickets through their app or in person at a kiosk...so basically the same way I've been buying movie tickets for the last few non-COVID years.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I find it to be a real shame because my personal experiences in theaters had gotten so much better over the last few years. The theaters around me were refurbished with nice seats and bars. Then the subscription model came in and my theater trips shot up. I was going more often and having better experiences, and felt better about the pricing even if I might have been paying more overall.

It'll be interesting to see what models end up surviving. I won't dare predict that the thing that I enjoy and want is the same thing that is profitable or generally desirable, but it would be nice to to get that back. 

I've read a few little articles about this re-org, and I don't think it's necessarily the death of theatrical movies, but mostly signals the greater flexibility that we have all been calling for.

The goal is to empower individual studio and network chiefs to decide where their programming should go “as opposed to somehow having it pre-determined that a movie is destined for theaters or a TV show is destined for ABC,” Disney CEO Bob Chapek told CNBC.

I think that makes a ton of sense. Movies get made and have all sorts of deals behind them, such that I imagine it's nearly impossible to change distribution strategies. Just think of all the deals that must go into a Marvel movie: backend deals for stars and producers, marketing deals both surrounding the films' release and product placement inside them, distribution deals for the theatrical run and then PVOD/disc/streaming. I'm sure I don't even know the scope of it all.

If they can get better at using their IP and putting each project, be it a film or show, on the platform that suits it best, without deciding from the outset what should go where, I think it could really help them. I have no idea if this re-org helps that situation, but it makes sense for that to be the goal.

Speaking for myself, I REALLY don't want every surviving theater to evolve into a high-end "experience" because that's absolutely not something that I'm interested in at all.

I don't want bars.  I don't want full-service menus.  I don't want super-duper reclining massaging seats or what have you.  And I ESPECIALLY don't want to have to pay the inflated ticket prices that such unnecessary amenities will inevitably justify.

I want to buy a ticket, maybe buy a popcorn and a soda, watch a movie, and then go home.  That's it.  I'm actively turned off by the attempts to turn movie-going into "experiences" and I can honestly say that my desire to actually go to a movie theater will drop to zero if that is the way of the future.

One thing I have been wondering is will this all have an effect on the actual movies getting made? If things don't bounce back quickly we may not see another billion dollar movie for a while. So will the studios start to cut costs on the other end? Will actor salaries come down? Feels like something will have to give. 

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Speaking for myself, I REALLY don't want every surviving theater to evolve into a high-end "experience" because that's absolutely not something that I'm interested in at all.

I don't want bars.  I don't want full-service menus.  I don't want super-duper reclining massaging seats or what have you.  And I ESPECIALLY don't want to have to pay the inflated ticket prices that such unnecessary amenities will inevitably justify.

I want to buy a ticket, maybe buy a popcorn and a soda, watch a movie, and then go home.  That's it.  I'm actively turned off by the attempts to turn movie-going into "experiences" and I can honestly say that my desire to actually go to a movie theater will drop to zero if that is the way of the future.

I dunno, those reclining seats are pretty nice. They seem to be standard for new theaters.

12 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

What about happy endings?

But I agree, I go to a movie a few times a year and don't care about anything but the movie itself. Usually we'll get a drink, sometimes a popcorn. I won't even go to 3D movies anymore, which my local theatres are still pushing for 50%+ of screenings.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno, those reclining seats are pretty nice. They seem to be standard for new theaters.

Unfortunately the "reclining" seats in my city only go back a few degrees, and the leg-rest comes up 90 degrees. So you end up sitting awkwardly unless you cross your legs. Why can't my city get a good theatre?!

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unfortunately the "reclining" seats in my city only go back a few degrees, and the leg-rest comes up 90 degrees. So you end up sitting awkwardly unless you cross your legs. Why can't my city get a good theatre?!

Too busy giving people important things like healthcare and shit.