Keep cars out of cities

6 hours ago, Jason said:

A number of years back my city installed bike lanes all over the downtown area.  I actually believe it was a firm in San Francisco who mapped them out when the city was exploring such an idea.  The conservatives who don't even live downtown to begin with bitch endlessly about them because they cannot handle having to drive in a narrower lane claiming they never see anybody using them.

Given how widespread and available parking is, it's an absolute no brainer that parking minimums, in fact a parking maximum, should be required in new developments in places with reasonable bus service like downtowns.

I'll keep shouting this at my council member but God damn she's so fucking stupid. 

Also whining Trader Joe's having small parking lots is apparently a meme but the entire point is that they couldn't keep their prices as low as they do if they were dumping money into gigantic parking lots. In Los Angeles even a surface parking spot is at least $30k a spot to construct. 

Absolutely stupid. These fucking people. I wish my city had 1/10th the investment in transit that LA is getting now. We're at least upzoning (some) areas near our BRT, though not to the extent that we should. (Upzoning industrial to TOD, which limits to 12 stories instead of central business district which limits to 20 stories)

37 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Ah yes, trees are another blessed gift that the American development pattern loves to obliterate.

Because we design our streets to freeway standards. You remove trees so motorists don't wrap themselves around a tree if they mess up...which is appropriate for a freeway but not a city street. 

22 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

I play a lot of cities skylines, and through that have kind of started to nerd out on city planning. The prevailing thought now is that freeway hurts development more than it helps. Ideally you want dispersal of traffic, not concentrated, outside of very specific connections (like an arterial road that disperses traffic from the airport to the rest of the city).

It's honestly really fun to get into. If I went back to school again, it would probably be for that.