Keep cars out of cities

Really incredible turn of events. A couple of weeks ago Matt created a map overlaying the draft inventory for the housing element update with a historical redlining map for Santa Monica:

He then submitted it to the Planning Commission as public comment on their housing element update meeting. This led to one of the planning commissioners running with the idea and doing a lot more research about our historically racist zoning practices. This leads to

Both the planning commissioner who ran with what Matt submitted and McKeown are major NIMBYs. But the context on the redlining history seems like it really created a breakthrough by pushing the white guilt buttons hard.

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Fact is our streets were already jam packed with horse-carriage and buggies even before the automobile. And even then it wasn’t really a problem until everyone was driving. At the end of the day, goods gotta get moved just like people.

Even NYC massively reduced the size of its sidewalks in response to cars.

LexCropped.jpg

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2016/07/01/the-new-york-of-2016-needs-the-wide-generous-sidewalks-of-1906/

On 4/2/2021 at 12:38 PM, Jason said:
210330-houston-i-45-ap-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

The department’s use of civil rights laws has buoyed activists on the ground and surprised even seasoned regulators in Washington.

This stretch of 45 that they want to work on widening is really close to one of our drive ins and would indeed destroy a lot of minority owned business and residential for absolutely no gain. 

6 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I don’t understand why they keep widening freeways in Texas. All the research says it’s bad for the communities it cuts through AND actually results in MORE traffic.

Because it is easily policy for people to understand ("more lanes = less congestion" regardless of whether it is true) and it's super easy to line the pockets of cronies with these ridiculous contracts and next to no oversight on how the funds are actually spent. It's a wonderful grift!

31 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I don’t understand why they keep widening freeways in Texas. All the research says it’s bad for the communities it cuts through AND actually results in MORE traffic.

What @sblfilms said is right. Also the only thing that makes American dicks harder / pussies wetter than thinking about guns is thinking about big, aggressive automobiles dominating the landscape.

One thing to consider when upsizing housing is water infrastructure. I used to live in a low density neighborhood with 100 year old pipes and there was legit concern about putting up a 10 story apartment building and the effects it would have on plumbing. It didn't end up being a problem as far as I know, but you can't assume you can put hundreds of households over water infrastructure that was built to service 4 or 5.

18 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

One thing to consider when upsizing housing is water infrastructure. I used to live in a low density neighborhood with 100 year old pipes and there was legit concern about putting up a 10 story apartment building and the effects it would have on plumbing. It didn't end up being a problem as far as I know, but you can't assume you can put hundreds of households over water infrastructure that was built to service 4 or 5.

Okay? You're talking like beefing up the pipes is an impossible task. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Okay? You're talking like beefing up the pipes is an impossible task. 

I'm not saying that, it's just refitting sewer pipes adds about 350x complications to adding density. And that's before you add in corruption from government contracts.

Big congrats to Elon Musk for inventing a taxi cab stand, but with the lighting from a gaming PC case fan for some reason.

The final product is honestly way worse than I thought it was going to be. I thought they'd at least be able to automate the cars going through the tunnel, but apparently it's just human drivers now?? Going 35 MPH??