Keep cars out of cities

https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

The vehicles themselves are even more in your face about the capabilities of the system. 

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you have the money to buy a Tesla and you're not reading the fine print on the autopilot and letting the machine take over, by all means kill yourself

Consumers are definitely known for meticulously reading EULAs before proceeding. 

It’s not even fine print! It’s more conspicuous while driving than how to change the radio station or use the navigation search. It also automatically turns itself off after 10-15 seconds of not having your hands on the wheel and then the functionality is disabled for the rest of the drive as punishment

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s not even fine print! It’s more conspicuous while driving than how to change the radio station or use the navigation search. It also automatically turns itself off after 10-15 seconds of not having your hands on the wheel and then the functionality is disabled for the rest of the drive as punishment

Lol what's the point then

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Lol what's the point then

Marketing? I mean, I am glad lots of new cars are adding adaptive cruise control and lane maintain. It’s a more comfortable way to drive.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:
tesla_model_y_3605.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Autopilot can be tricked into thinking there’s someone in the driver’s seat.

Ahh yes, shifting the goal posts! Now it’s not

that people are confused by the capabilities and will do dangerous things because of it, they actually understand the limitations and will defeat the safety measures to make it do what it’s not designed to.

1 hour ago, Jason said:
GettyImages-1283145878-scaled.jpg
WWW.THEAMERICANCONSERVATIVE.COM

A move to electric vehicles doubles down on suburbanization and misses an opportunity.

The shift to electric cars not benefiting a lot of people who live in apartments is not something I've thought about before. I'm still not sure I buy the overall point, though - that electronic cars increase suburbanization, so we shouldn't do it. 1) people who don't drive already aren't going to start because of electronic cars. 2) If we can compound a shift to electronic cars with things like increased ride share opportunities and better mass transit, that's still a good thing. "Por que no los dos" essentially. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

The shift to electric cars not benefiting a lot of people who live in apartments is not something I've thought about before. I'm still not sure I buy the overall point, though - that electronic cars increase suburbanization, so we shouldn't do it. 1) people who don't drive already aren't going to start because of electronic cars. 2) If we can compound a shift to electronic cars with things like increased ride share opportunities and better mass transit, that's still a good thing. "Por que no los dos" essentially. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

There's a whole bunch of people who want to use electric cars + "fully self driving cars are coming any day now!" as an excuse to not change anything else.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

There's a whole bunch of people who want to use electric cars + "fully self driving cars are coming any day now!" as an excuse to not change anything else.

yeah, but if it weren’t electric cars it’d be something else. the only thing that’s going to rein in car dependent suburbia is the fast-approaching mass municipal bankruptcy crisis

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not saying we shouldn't change anything else. And maybe you're right that people will go "self driving electric cars = job done!" I just don't think that makes it a road not worth taking.

We can have all of the above, and we should strive for that

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

yeah, but if it weren’t electric cars it’d be something else. the only thing that’s going to rein in car dependent suburbia is the fast-approaching mass municipal bankruptcy crisis

It won't be with a bang but a whimper. Crumbling infrastructure, and using proffers to growth ponzi and kick the can down the road

• Guillotine 1

Three women from the Oxford Pedestrians Association staged their protest at Oriel Square on Saturday to stop cars illegally passing through the road to avoid the functional traffic cameras on the High Street.

Bollards there are meant to rise between 7.30am and 6.30pm, only being lowered for emergency vehicles and other vehicles with permitted access, but have been broken for ‘about four years’.

7 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The entire premise of why Uber and Lyft were supposed to be valued the way they were when their IPOs happened even though they both lose money was that they were both going to develop self-driving cars in like a year.

From September 2016:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-17%20at%208.33.2

508246192.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

Expect to see semi-autonomous vehicles driving on fixed routes by 2017 in a subscription model.

• Guillotine 1

The fact that Lyft has trouble being profitable is baffling to me. 90% of their business is literally just processing transactions. It's like telling me that paypal or gofundme isn't making money. Or maybe they don't either, I don't know.

That said, it does make sense to offload the direct cost of their driverless program to someone else and have them fold it back into their service if/when it comes to fruition is smart.