Keep cars out of cities

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Land value is generally determined by proximity to the central business district. Per the city, the value of the land that my home is built is worth about $96k, 3.2miles from CBD. There's another property I found in a much higher density neighborhood approximately 3.2 miles from the CBD and the city has that value of land at $95k. Property value of the other place is much higher than mine because it is limited by zoning as to how dense the neighborhood can get

That's interesting. While there aren't any density restrictions in my neighborhood (there's a ~12 story condo building across the street), the house I live in is historically protected, so it makes sense why the value shot up even though you can effectively never build anything on the lot ever again.

I suppose increasing density helps everyone. On lots that can be developed into higher density buildings, the land value increases because of it. On lots that can't, the house value increases for the same reason?

16 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That's interesting. While there aren't any density restrictions in my neighborhood (there's a ~12 story condo building across the street), the house I live in is historically protected, so it makes sense why the value shot up even though you can effectively never build anything on the lot ever again.

I suppose increasing density helps everyone. On lots that can be developed into higher density buildings, the land value increases because of it. On lots that can't, the house value increases for the same reason?

Well the land value is basically static on a per square foot basis all else being equal. The improvements are those that are more subject to supply and demand and can fluctuate due to regional trends and preferences and other things. For a given property you can't make the land closer to the cbd, but you can put another housing unit there if allowed in other words. And when you reach the legal supply limit on housing units for a given area, all else being equal, demand will dictate that price on the improvements increase in the market.

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

@Bacon have you been on the choo choo

Yeah. It is pretty cool when it isn't down. My brother and I use to ride it for fun. But it is also very limited as it is mainly for getting around various campuses. I am also not sure if the AC is always broken or there is no AC. Shit can get hot, yo. Unless you're a student it is nearly useless. Even then, there is no direct stop at WVU. It is still a 10-20 minute walk with a small but constant incline from the nearest station. It has no destination even close to a major shopping hub. Again, basically useless.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Well the land value is basically static on a per square foot basis all else being equal. The improvements are those that are more subject to supply and demand and can fluctuate due to regional trends and preferences and other things. For a given property you can't make the land closer to the cbd, but you can put another housing unit there if allowed in other words. And when you reach the legal supply limit on housing units for a given area, all else being equal, demand will dictate that price on the improvements increase in the market.

But also, if you can guarantee a SFH like mine that is within walking distance of the CBD, that also increases the value in an artificial way. Like imagine owning the one single family home that borders central park

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

But also, if you can guarantee a SFH like mine that is within walking distance of the CBD, that also increases the value in an artificial way. Like imagine owning the one single family home that borders central park

Oh yeah, absolutely. The value of the regional housing market overall is a factor, but for a particular property you have to look at similarly positioned and types of properties with similar features. If there's truly nothing like it plus high demand for living near, say, central park, then yeah the value of the improvements to that lot can be very high (but so would the value of the land itself being next to a major landmark). Housing valuation is very complex and involves a lot of guesswork.

Mowing a lawn is easier than manicuring a garden, and people generally want at least something green. I think having grass in a desert is dumb, but I can understand why people would go that route.

Last time I was in Phoenix, I don't remember seeing too many lawns.

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:
210419101209-tesla-autopilot-crash-tx-04
WWW.CNN.COM

Two passengers were killed in a crash of a Tesla Model S on Saturday in which there was no one sitting in the driver's seat, according to police.

Self driving cars are a mistake, just like cars were a mistake 👍

In the case of Tesla, I think the biggest problem is calling this feature "Autopilot", which has a very specific established meaning in people's minds which is, "the thing pilots itself." Call it literally anything else besides Autopilot.

Also, there was that time Elon Musk went on 60 Minutes and took his hands off the wheel--the exact thing that you're not actually supposed to do.

5c0e83e40fefb34c4e3b4a78?width=1136&form

• Guillotine 1

36 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I notice that the "woke corporations" who had the GOP so riled up after the Georgia law don't really have all that much to say about these Intentionally Hit BLM Protestors with Your Car laws.

Upholding something resembling democratic processes is far more important to a business (who want a check on "populism") than hitting protestors with 2ton trucks

On 4/19/2021 at 7:38 PM, Uaarkson said:
210419101209-tesla-autopilot-crash-tx-04
WWW.CNN.COM

Two passengers were killed in a crash of a Tesla Model S on Saturday in which there was no one sitting in the driver's seat, according to police.

Self driving cars are a mistake, just like cars were a mistake 👍

It wasn’t a self driving model though 

My wild ass guess on that collision is that the front door wouldn’t open because of structural damage due to the collision so the driver crawled into the back seat to open that door, which also wouldn’t open. Though I have seen videos of people setting the autopilot and then crawling into the back seat, it doesn’t seem likely it happened in that scenario based on where they were — the videos i’ve seen are always people on the highway. 

I hate how every time a tesla gets into a crash people go "SEE?! We can't have self driving cars yet!" While ignoring that nearly 40,000 people die in car accidents in america every year.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

In this case, musk said the semi-autopilot this model had wasn't even on.

16 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The problem is these mid-level self-driving kits are inherently dangerous because they rely on the human being being able to not need to be involved 99% of the time but then be able to take over at a moment's notice and human beings are simply not wired to do that. We're physiologically incapable of maintaining that level of attention without needing to be actively engaged the entire time. Everything in-between the basic lane keeping assist/smart cruise control and full-on self-driving is unsafe as a result, 50% actually is in fact worse than 0% in this case.

Also Tesla keeps intentionally misrepresenting the extent to which their cars can drive themselves.

13 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I hate how every time a tesla gets into a crash people go "SEE?! We can't have self driving cars yet!" While ignoring that nearly 40,000 people die in car accidents in america every year.

I have a feeling this discussion was had when cars first hit the road, and with trains and any other new tech. At some point there will be a swing and manual driving will be a thing of the past.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

The problem is these mid-level self-driving kits are inherently dangerous because they rely on the human being being able to not need to be involved 99% of the time but then be able to take over at a moment's notice and human beings are simply not wired to do that. We're physiologically incapable of maintaining that level of attention without needing to be actively engaged the entire time. Everything in-between the basic lane keeping assist/smart cruise control and full-on self-driving is unsafe as a result, 50% actually is in fact worse than 0% in this case.

I think this wouldnt be an issue if all cars relied on the same tech to drive but as of now it simply cant handle human drivers. An all AI driven world this would work.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Also Tesla is intentionally misrepresenting the extent to which their cars can drive themselves.

It should never have been called auto pilot but I think they have always maintained what "it" is and no more.

8 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

It should never have been called auto pilot but I think they have always maintained what "it" is and no more.

1. It doesn't matter what the fine print says, they know perfectly damn well what people are going to take "Autopilot" as meaning and that's been born out by the stories about people abusing it.

2. They did it again with the full self-driving beta. Tesla: “Full self-driving beta” isn’t designed for full self-driving. Tesla told California regulators the FSD beta lacks "true autonomous features." It wasn't just one fuckup with the naming of Autopilot, it's a clear pattern of intentionally deceiving people about what their cars can do.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Also Tesla keeps intentionally misrepresenting the extent to which their cars can drive themselves.

The last time you made this claim it was explicitly refuted by both direct quotations from Tesla’s website and first hand usage. You are factually wrong.

The cars themselves blare at you what they can and can’t do when you engage the features. That’s why there are incredibly few accidents as a result of people misusing the features.

Just now, Jason said:

1. It doesn't matter what the fine print says, they know perfectly damn well what people are going to take "Autopilot" as meaning and that's been born out by the stories about people abusing it.

yea thats why I said

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

It should never have been called auto pilot

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

2. They did it again with the full self-driving beta. Tesla: “Full self-driving beta” isn’t designed for full self-driving. Tesla told California regulators the FSD beta lacks "true autonomous features." It wasn't just one fuckup with the naming of Autopilot, it's a clear pattern of intentionally deceiving people about what their cars can do.

fair enough , I wasnt aware of this one

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The last time you made this claim it was explicitly refuted by both direct quotations from Tesla’s website and first hand usage. You are factually wrong.

lol

tesla_jeeesus-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Tesla told California regulators the FSD beta lacks "true autonomous features."