More than 3 billion people could be living in conditions of "extreme heat" by 2070

More than three billion people will be living in places with "near un-liveable" temperatures by 2070, according to a new study

Unless greenhouse gas emissions fall, large numbers of people will experience average temperatures hotter than 29C.

This is considered outside the climate "niche" in which humans have thrived for the past 6,000 years.

Co-author of the study Tim Lenton told the BBC: "The study hopefully puts climate change in a more human terms".

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Those are some rookie numbers.  You're going to have to pump them up!  110 in Vegas! 115 in Phoenix!

I don't mind the heat, as long as the humidity is low. 

It's going to be 106 tomorrow in Phoenix, I live about 40ish miles from Phoenix. I've been here for the 115 days, I came in summer in 2018 like an idiot. So this is going to my third summer. Hottest it's been since I've been here is 117 a couple times, 116 a few times, and a few 115 days as well. So no 120 yet.

17 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

I don’t understand you people. I’ve experienced 100 Fahrenheit probably a handful of times in my life and its miserable.

When it’s dry I could sit in it all day. Add a bit of moisture and that’s when it unbearable.

48 here outside of Cleveland. It had been warmer, near 70 in the past weeks. People are complaining about the cold; I remind them we only saw more than 5” of snow maybe three times this winter, and probably had less than 15 days of snow on the ground, it was wonderful. 

Weather should be wonderful here in 2070. Great grand kids will be in a better place with all the northern land acquired since the migration than my generation is with our southern land (not that it treats us poorly).