AMD is Ryzen. It is Ryzen indeed.

AMD CEO: Ryzen CPUs Now Account To More Than 50% Premium Processor Sales Globally, Strong Demand For Ryzen 3000 & Ryzen 2000 CPUs

In its recent earnings call, AMD's CEO, Dr.Lisa Su, stated that Ryzen CPUs now accounts for 50% of the premium processors sales globally. The figure is based on statistics from various top etailers around the globe and for months now, we have been seeing Ryzen CPUs dominating the top sales charts due to stellar performance, efficiency, and value.

It's hard to beat the value of Ryzen, but if I had to do my build all over again I would pay the $200 more for the i7 9900k over the Ryzen 3700x because I do a lot of high frame rate gaming and clockspeed really matters here.  Ryzen effectively can't be overclocked, or at the very least you cannot achieve clockspeeds faster than their boost modes under normal cooling methods.  At the very least I could have broken 5 GHz with an Intel CPU.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

Well deserved! Its exciting to see AMD take the lead after all these years! IT feels like the Athlon 64 days all over again! Now do the same for GPUs AMD! :daydream:

The only way I see this happening is if AMD is somehow able to make it so that Windows and other OS see multiple GPUs as one. This would allow AMD to build modular GPU cards with smaller chips, increasing their yields and scaling up performance. However, from my extremely limited understanding of GPU tech, this technology may not be possible. 

Nvidia isn't going to sit around like Intel and assume AMD will screw up, so I can't see AMD dominating Nvidia like they are Intel right now.

37 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

The only way I see this happening is if AMD is somehow able to make it so that Windows and other OS see multiple GPUs as one. This would allow AMD to build modular GPU cards with smaller chips, increasing their yields and scaling up performance. However, from my extremely limited understanding of GPU tech, this technology may not be possible. 

Nvidia isn't going to sit around like Intel and assume AMD will screw up, so I can't see AMD dominating Nvidia like they are Intel right now.

That's a fair analysis, and also the most likely outcome. That said, we really need AMD to at least try and get hungry again on the GPU side of things. I selfishly just want them to push RT so that it finally gains wide adoption!

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That's a fair analysis, and also the most likely outcome. That said, we really need AMD to at least try and get hungry again on the GPU side of things. I selfishly just want them to push RT so that it finally gains wide adoption!

RDNA 3 is when we will finally see Zen funding channeled into their GPU side. I expect RDNA 2 will compete, but nvidia will still be ahead. 

I've been one of the fortunate people lucky enough to always upgrade to what eventually turns out to be the best CPU of the gen (bang for buck). Q6600, i2500k, and now i7700k. I will stick with the 7700k for at least another year or two, but unless intel changes something fast, I can't see myself going with them the next time. Even this last time, the thing that kept me with intel was the fact that PC games still tend to value single-core performance more than the number of cores, but that is changing, and will continue to change when the next-gen consoles really push it.

17 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Starting to feel bad now, my 4790k @ 4.6GHz is pretty much getting destroyed by a $100 cpu. Time for an upgrade lol, although I have no performance issues to speak of.

Nah it's close.  The 3100 would be about equal, the 3300X would be faster.

For gaming, looks like the 3300X is worth it by being a good 15% faster even at the same clockspeed as the 3100.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, Massdriver said:

I could potentially see a chiplet design in the GPU space, provided they can get Infinity Fabric to run insanely fast. A dual-GPU design would need to be at least three chips on a substrate, with the third being a draw call accelerator, and/or warp scheduler. A hardware-based draw call accelerator was already implemented in Xbox One X, so the technology exists, and such a thing could act as a liaison to the OS and game engine appearing as a single GPU.

The reason such a design hasn't been done in the past is the insanely low latency needed and complex cache coherency problems that would need to be solved.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So I just came to the PC board to ask about new processors. I'm thinking about building my first PC if over a decade, and a lot of shit's changed since then. So AMD is the way to go now, I'm assuming.

Yup , intels lead is so small there is no real reason to not go AMD

8 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So I just came to the PC board to ask about new processors. I'm thinking about building my first PC if over a decade, and a lot of shit's changed since then. So AMD is the way to go now, I'm assuming.

Yes, AMD is very competitive.  They now match Intel in performance per clockspeed, they offer more cores/threads at the same or lower price, and have lower power consumption.   Intel's advantage is only in gaming, and that's because of two reasons:  Their CPUs can reach a higher clockspeed and they have better memory latency.  

But considering gaming performance, at 4k or 1440p, is mainly dictated by how powerful your GPU is, there is parity when comparing any $200+ CPU.

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Yes, AMD is very competitive.  They now match Intel in performance per clockspeed, they offer more cores/threads at the same or lower price, and have lower power consumption.   Intel's advantage is only in gaming, and that's because of two reasons:  Their CPUs can reach a higher clockspeed and they have better memory latency.  

But considering gaming performance, at 4k or 1440p, is mainly dictated by how powerful your GPU is, there is parity when comparing any $200+ CPU.

Ok cool. To be honest, gaming wouldn't be the computer's primary use. I would mainly use it for photo and video editing and some web development. But if I'm gonna build a PC, might as well do it right!

On 5/21/2020 at 11:20 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Ok cool. To be honest, gaming wouldn't be the computer's primary use. I would mainly use it for photo and video editing and some web development. But if I'm gonna build a PC, might as well do it right!

Right now you'll be looking at 3 options

~$400-450 Ryzen 9 3900X 12 cores 

~>$500 Core i9 10900k 10 cores

~$700 Ryzen 9 3950X 16 cores

The i9 10900k will be faster in Photoshop and games, and pretty close but typically slower than the 3900x in video encoding.  The Ryzen processors should be faster in most video editing situations (although slower in some), definitely faster in any kind of 3D rendering, and mostly faster in compiling.

Of course if your budget is even higher, you can get 18, 24, 28, 32, and 64 core processors.  

AMD Zen 2 refresh incoming before Zen 3 later this year:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-to-announce-ryzen-9-3900xt-3800xt-and-3600xt-on-june-16th

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-9-3900xt-to-boost-up-to-4-8-ghz

AMD Ryzen 3000 Processors
VideoCardz.com Cores / Threads Base Clock Turbo Clock TDP MSRP
Ryzen 9 3950X

16C/32T

3.5 GHz

4.7 GHz

105W

$749
Ryzen 9 3900XT

12C/24T (?)

4.1 GHz

4.8 GHz
TBC TBC
Ryzen 9 3900X

12C/24T

3.8 GHz

4.6 GHz

105W

$499
Ryzen 7 3800XT

8C/16T (?)

4.2 GHz

4.7 GHz
TBC TBC
Ryzen 7 3800X

8C/16T

3.9 GHz

4.5 GHz

105W

$399
Ryzen 7 3700X

8C/16T

3.6 GHz

4.4 GHz

65W

$329
Ryzen 5 3600XT

6C/12T (?)

4.0 GHz

4.7 GHz
TBC TBC
Ryzen 5 3600X

6C/12T

3.8 GHz

4.4 GHz

95W

$249
Ryzen 5 3600

6C/12T

3.6 GHz

4.2 GHz

65W

$199
Ryzen 5 3500X

6C/6T

3.6 GHz

4.1 GHz

65W
limited avaibility
Ryzen 5 3500

6C/6T

3.6 GHz

4.1 GHz

65W
limited avaibility
Ryzen 5 3400G*

4C/8T

3.7 GHz

4.2 GHz

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Boyle5150 said:

where the hell are all the motherboards for this damn chip?

Sold out, I guess because of people working from home and being bored? And maybe some supply issues? I've been looking all over for them too. Even the basic models were going for $500+ on Amazon Marketplace. :silly: 

On 5/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Oh yeah, maybe go threadripper instead :o 

15 hours ago, Nokra said:

Sold out, I guess because of people working from home and being bored? And maybe some supply issues? I've been looking all over for them too. Even the basic models were going for $500+ on Amazon Marketplace. :silly: 

The ROG X570 I got my son last year is $200 more right now on Amazon. Fuck that Butthole!! Most places should be receiving more inventory mid June. I think I’ll wait and see, although it’s going to be hard with this proc sitting here. 

I need @Emperor Diocletian II to hold me. 

I don't want to create a new thread but this is my 3900X system I put together this week.

ztloJjE.jpg

More in the gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/LdCTnl6

(Don't mind all the toys. My nerd room is full of many curiosities.)

The RX 480 8GB and Crucial MX500 are due for an upgrade at some point, and especially that Hyper 212X. It does a surprisingly well though, once I tuned the fan speed profile a bit.

I believe the X formation is one of the best for more guaranteed coverage.

content_image_5eb2ae5c98acd.gif

And definitely when dealing with a chiplet CPU you want coverage over the whole IHS, not just the center (as was the case in the past, and how I used to do things).