Stop using Zoom

I've been using a few different apps, and the more I use them, the more each strength and weakness shows.

We use Teams for work most of the time, and it's nice because it's integrated into Office 365, but the video chat part is just ok. The biggest issue is that you can't manipulate the video at all. You can't select one persons video to see, change to a gallery view, or anything else. An update is coming at the end of this month that is supposed to make some of this better.

My wife was hosting Ru-Paul watch parties on Discord. We bought the most recent season on Amazon, and before the lockdown friends would come over and watch. Most video chat apps do allow you to share your screen, but if you're streaming video, it's a choppy mess. Discord does pretty well with that, but we've been fighting issues with echo and discord is weird and complicated for people that have never used it before. One of our friends still struggles to join the video every time.

Whatever security issues there may be, Zoom is popular for a reason, and it's what I've been using most to hang out with family and friends. I have a paid account, and no one else needs an account. My grandmother can operate it easily enough, the gallery view is good, and I can highlight or pin a particular video stream if my Grandma wants to show off her art or my siblings are trying to get their kids to do something. The video stream is easily good enough for Jackbox games, but more important than anything is that it just works.

Also, I've started using RTX voice, which is nVidia's AI powered background noise suppression system. It works very well. It pretty much eliminates all keyboard and mouse sounds, as well as any simple background noise like fans or what not. I supposedly uses the tensor cores in RTX GPUs, but I saw some hack that made it work on older cards just as well, so I don't think it's actually doing anything too fancy. You can also kill off background noise in the output, which is nice if someone on a call has a lot of static or is typing on their laptop using a built in mic or something. It's far from perfect, but it's well worth a try if you have an nVidia GPU and you're spending a bunch of time on video chats.

21 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

All these "Do this and you will be fine" replies are funny since they actually took action to improve the security of the program.

21 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They still responded to the issues.

That they made some changes doesn't mean that you wouldn't have been fine following my suggestion of adding a password to your room.

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I could have been fine but if I waited till now I would be great.

Why would you be more fine if you waited until now? What about password protecting your room would have been insufficient? Maybe you know of some other security hole, but I haven't heard of any issues that wouldn't have been solved with that.

What are people doing on Zoom that they are super worried about? I can understand with sensitive business info, but I see people saying not to use Zoom for their boring white people hangouts too.

22 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What are people doing on Zoom that they are super worried about? I can understand with sensitive business info, but I see people saying not to use Zoom for their boring white people hangouts too.

Getting naked. Who needs webcam sites when we have our Zoom friends? :p

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Looks like Google Meet is now officially out, and is free for everyone. Same features as Zoom but more secure, Google claims.

I haven't tried it out, but I the differentiator that matters to me is that it requires a Google login. It won't matter to a lot of people, but it's enough that I won't be trying it with Grandma.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Why do we need Google meet? Isn't Google hangouts enough?

Because Duo. Also because Google decided that Hangouts should be GSuite only. That's why

Duo was even introduced; to replace Hangouts since the free version is going away later this year. That is, after rolling Google+ Messenger and Google Talk into Hangouts. Then they pulled SMS out into Google Messages since you know, Hangouts is going away.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Because Duo. Also because Google decided that Hangouts should be GSuite only. That's why

Duo was even introduced; to replace Hangouts since the free version is going away later this year. That is, after rolling Google+ Messenger and Google Talk into Hangouts. Then they pulled SMS out into Google Messages since you know, Hangouts is going away.

They won't support it in two years

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Looks like Google Meet is now officially out, and is free for everyone. Same features as Zoom but more secure, Google claims.

So people will be able to cyber sex in peace knowing that only Google's AI is watching them, and learning new algorithms in order to target ads to them based on the shapes of their naked bodies?

• 1 month later...

One more reason not to use Zoom

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/12/876351501/zoom-acknowledges-it-suspended-activists-accounts-at-china-s-request

None of the three accounts — two belonging to U.S.-based activists and the third to a Hong Kong activist — were based in mainland China. The company said it would no longer block accounts outside of mainland China at Beijing's request, but did not say outright how it would handle such requests that affect users within mainland China. Instead, Zoom said, it would develop technology to block users based on geography.