~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Which is not actually part of the constitution, but something the judicial branch made up whole hog to allow the government to function in times and in matters of crisis

Very on brand for America to just make the rules up mid-game

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If the actual Democrats had been in charge of the country for the movie Independence Day, Bill Pullman, in his dying breath as the aliens won, would have said "Ugggh. At least. We didn't. Eliminate. The... filibuster. XX"

And if the GOP was in charge, his last words would have been "Take that...liberals."

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If the actual Democrats had been in charge of the country for the movie Independence Day, Bill Pullman, in his dying breath as the aliens won, would have said "Ugggh. At least. We didn't. Eliminate. The... filibuster. XX"

I think it might be smarter politically to revisit the filibuster while making the GOP take a clean vote on a standalone bill for a higher minimum wage.

I think it could hurt the Dems high approval right now to hold a bill with 75% approval hostage over one aspect of the bill that they don't even have enough votes to pass through reconciliation.

Seems pretty clear $15 isn't going to happen. If we are going to have a fight on the spot about killing the filibuster and negotiating with Manchin and Sinema about 11, 12, 13 or whatever it might be, it doesn't need to happen right when people are waiting for Covid relief. Didn't we just criticize the GOP for turning every budget resolution into an apocalyptic, hostage situation, must pass bill?

Some of this seems to be a hangover from the Trump years where Dems had to pull out every trick to maybe get something into a must pass bill because it was the only way anything might happen.

Mitch doesn't control the gavel anymore. He can't get his members out of difficult votes just by sitting on hundreds of House passed bills. 

Filibuster reform is still there. Minimum wage is still there. Schumer can call a vote on it whenever he wants, and everytime the GOP votes straight down party lines on 60 and 70% approval bills it just makes the argument for getting rid of the filibuster stronger.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

They can take our lives, but they'll never take... our norms!

13 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not sure, but it makes sense if true. Can't have a family making $300k getting a $1000 check :silly:

I think that's right. 

It's so dumb. They're calling it stimulus not COVID relief. Well, like, give me $100 and I'm more inclined to just save it than if you give me an amount I could actually spend on something nice. 

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Even upper income folks have had added expenses this year. My microwave and washing machine are both dead and I know I'm not alone to say nothing of the extra stuff for teleworking and utilities. 

I know my electricity bill is higher just from being home all day. Thankfully my ISP has no caps but even just running my work laptop all day at home isn't free. 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I know my electricity bill is higher just from being home all day. Thankfully my ISP has no caps but even just running my work laptop all day at home isn't free. 

My electric bill has been higher this winter due to having to stay at home the entire time.  Not to an unmanageable degree, but still.

Of the 9 people who live in my house, only 4 of us leave the house for work right now. I can't remember what our last electric bill was, but it was absurdly high. Thankfully only the 3rd floor uses electric heat, the rest of the house is heated by oil (though we're trying to cut back on that and use space heaters more - getting the oil tank filled costs about $3000)

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

"Blue state bailout" in the new covid bill, says the wise republican

I like this map because there's really no correlation between blue/red states. If you listened to Texas/Florida leadership, you'd think they were doing the best.

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I like this map because there's really no correlation between blue/red states. If you listened to Texas/Florida leadership, you'd think they were doing the best.

It really seems that the states with a major reliance on tourism do particularly bad, which makes sense, but that isn't the only issue.

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It really seems that the states with a major reliance on tourism do particularly bad, which makes sense, but that isn't the only issue.

Oil is another for Alaska, plus tourism. 

Seems that if you're a state that doesn't have other ways outside of tourism to generate revenue, you had nothing to fall back on.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Oil is another for Alaska, plus tourism. 

Seems that if you're a state that doesn't have other ways outside of tourism to generate revenue, you had nothing to fall back on.

Oh yeah, oil and gas extraction too. You see it also in TX, OK, LA, ND, WV, PA, and MT (probably the states with the most dependence of extraction revenues if I had to guess anyway) the only surprise is that NM wouldn't be on this list

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I'd be curious to know the different tax policies of Oregon, Alaska, Montana, Delaware, and New Hampshire, as those are the only states with no state sales tax. Obviously Alaska took a massive hit. Also Oregon and Texas basically took the same hit, despite one state having no sales tax and one having no income tax.

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'd be curious to know the different tax policies of Oregon, Alaska, Montana, Delaware, and New Hampshire, as those are the only states with no state sales tax. Obviously Alaska took a massive hit. Also Oregon and Texas basically took the same hit, despite one state having no sales tax and one having no income tax.

Tourism is pretty big here in MT.