~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

It's really actually very surprising that the "good policy will encourage people to vote for dems in the face of the revanchist right moral crusade" crowd thinks that personally getting less relief means it's curtains for the dems. Good policy doesn't always directly benefit you! If it has to then maybe it's not actually about policy? 

11 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

"Wow I can't believe they're phasing checks out for individuals making over 80k instead of 100k!" -said nobody on unemployment

The 11.8 million adults getting shafted by this probably say that though. 

24 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

"Wow I can't believe they're phasing checks out for individuals making over 80k instead of 100k!" -said nobody on unemployment

Pitting one group of economically affected people against another is GOP nonsense. The government has no reason not to provide the assistance to all who need it in the midst of this massive financial catastrophe.

8 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

TIL 80k a year is 'high income'

I know people like to get cute with big city numbers but let's not pretend that $80k of income in 2019 isn't a lot of money. For me that would be the difference between living in a two bedroom apartment and a three bedroom house. 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. It's just right now one of the biggest changes from the house version

I get that it's one of the few things to talk about but let's not allow that to make things out to be something they're not. At some point defeatism is self-fulfilling. 

6 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I know people like to get cute with big city numbers but let's not pretend that $80k of income in 2019 isn't a lot of money. For me that would be the difference between living in a two bedroom apartment and a three bedroom house. 

80k is squarely middle of road in San Diego. Lets not pretend cost of living isn't a thing.

Rent for a 3 bedroom house will run you 3k+ a month here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

80k is squarely middle of road in San Diego. Lets not pretend cost of living isn't a thing.

The purpose of this bill isn’t to address housing problems. I don’t even believe that they shouldn’t just give out a flat $2k to everybody. But it’s not “their fault” that poor planning in certain parts of the country led to catastrophic housing costs.

We need an entirely separate, major bill to address all that fucked up shit. I’d argue that it’s the #2 most important piece of legislation after fixing healthcare 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

The purpose of this bill isn’t to address housing problems. I don’t even believe that they shouldn’t just give out a flat $2k to everybody. But it’s not “their fault” that poor planning in certain parts of the country led to catastrophic housing costs.

We need an entirely separate, major bill to address all that fucked up shit. I’d argue that it’s the #2 most important piece of legislation after fixing healthcare 

My point is 80k is not high income for millions of people. Furthermore this is based on prepandemic income, you know, when people still had jobs. If anything 'high income' people who lost their jobs will need it more as they will have more obligations.

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

But for a bill that targets everyone it's unfair to base that everyone around this constituency. It's more unfair to everyone else to subsidize terrible NIMBY policies by pretending that it's normal. 

I mean Christ Almighty I live in northern Virginia. It's not the worst but I'm not unfamiliar with a high cost of living; and yes, 80k is a very generous salary .. especially using 2020 taxes (which they will, if you've filed already).

Not sure how NIMBY policies create the high cost of living. More like foreign investors and wealthy people buying housing as an investment and creating mini AirBnb empires, the tech industry and people moving here from elsewhere.

And I can't emphasize enough how big a problem AirBnB is to housing in any city people vacation in.

11 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Not sure how NIMBY policies create the high cost of living.

Demand goes up. Supply is not allowed to increase to match. Prices go up. Basic economics.

12 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

More like foreign investors

People always bring this up but I never see any real evidence presented it's some kind of enormous issue.

12 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

wealthy people buying housing as an investment

First off, NIMBY policies create the market conditions that make housing an enticing investment target. Second off, why do you think NIMBYs don't want anything built?

13 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

creating mini AirBnb empires

Would not matter if we let enough housing be built. Nobody suggests car rental companies are making it more expensive for everyone else to buy cars.

14 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

the tech industry and people moving here from elsewhere.

Again, supply is not allowed to keep up with demand.

42 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

But for a bill that targets everyone it's unfair to base that everyone around this constituency. It's more unfair to everyone else to subsidize terrible NIMBY policies by pretending that it's normal. 

I mean Christ Almighty I live in northern Virginia. It's not the worst but I'm not unfamiliar with a high cost of living; and yes, 80k is a very generous salary .. especially using 2020 taxes (which they will, if you've filed already).

LOL this is "no bailouts for blue states" level of nonsense. The high COL areas are the ones subsidizing everyone else and the majority of Americans live in higher-COL areas.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Demand goes up. Supply is not allowed to increase to match. Prices go up. Basic economics.

People always bring this up but I never see any real evidence presented it's some kind of enormous issue.

First off, NIMBY policies create the market conditions that make housing an enticing investment target. Second off, why do you think NIMBYs don't want anything built?

Would not matter if we let enough housing be built. Nobody suggests car rental companies are making it more expensive for everyone else to buy cars.

More housing can't be built if there is no room. The only places significant new housing is being built is east county where there is room and that has 0 effect on the areas closer to the coast.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I also live in San Diego and I think the AirBnB of it all plays a role in our housing problems.

Regulations fuck us as well. I am active in the local Chamber of Commerce and am on the Small Business Committee. We had a developer come in during election season back in 2018 to talk to the committee about some ballot initiative. He mentioned he had to pay 10x in permits in fees what he does in Texas because of State and local regulations. Something like 27k per unit in California vs 2.7k per unit in Texas. As a result, almost any apartment development around here is labeled a luxury apartment. Rents start at like 2k for a 1 bedroom and those are for the less expensive developments.

My parents live in a suburb that some of the people from the richer neighborhoods consider unsafe/gang infested and their 4 bedroom, 2 bath house on a modest lot is probably worth about 750k right now. It's fucking insane here.

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

More housing can't be built if there is no room. The only places new housing is being built is east county where there is room and that has 0 effect on the areas closer to the coast.

There's plenty of room, you just need to fix the zoning that makes it so that the vast majority of land in our cities can only legally contain single family homes.

There's also a FUCKTON of surface parking in this country's cities that cut be repurposed and replaced with a ton of housing.

Just now, Chollowa said:

I also live in San Diego and I think the AirBnB of it all plays a role in our housing problems.

Airbnb exacerbates the problems of NIMBY policies but if you could actually build enough housing then you wouldn't need to care about Airbnb.

2 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

More housing can't be built if there is no room. The only places significant new housing is being built is east county where there is room and that has 0 effect on the areas closer to the coast.

I agree and would add Escondido, Fallbrook and Otay Ranch to the list of places where new builds are currently happening. 

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Airbnb exacerbates the problems of NIMBY policies but if you could actually build enough housing then you wouldn't need to care about Airbnb.

Except the fact that there isn't some magic land you can conjure up to build more houses in areas where AirBnBs are a problem.  PB and places like them are having the problem not Escondido. It is absolutely wrecking those communities turning them into giant mini hotel towns and shooting up the rent on the rare house thats actually renting out for long term. Why would someone long term rent when you can double your money with Airbnb?