~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

2 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

uh this is stupid and shitty but it's hardly the end of the world.

I think it is more illustrative of the boundaries of big tent party control. They will chip away at the edges for no good reason. Minor overall here, but easy to see this same thing play out in more meaningful ways down the line.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

It's totally needless and stupid, but it's very minor.

It's needlessly proving the Republicans right on "so nothing Democrats". People who have had this as their direct personal experience with Democrats won't need to be convinced of that. 

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

You really think this will hurt their re-election prospects?

Maybe? There's a lot going on in the next year but they both won their elections by fewer than 100k votes, and in an environment of increased voter suppression in these two states plus the historical likelihood of voters turning against the incumbent president's party in midterm elections makes their jobs hard enough. And that's without making their reelections harder by potentially alienating moderate, relatively higher income urban and suburban voters who vote at higher rates than lower income voters of all stripes who will remember, rightly or wrongly, the they got a check from Republicans/Trump and didn't get one from Democrats/Biden

Do the popular thing and legally bribe the electorate

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Maybe? There's a lot going on in the next year but they both won their elections by fewer than 100k votes, and in an environment of increased voter suppression in these two states plus the historical likelihood of voters turning against the incumbent president's party in midterm elections makes their jobs hard enough. And that's without making their reelections harder by potentially alienating moderate, relatively higher income urban and suburban voters who vote at higher rates than lower income voters of all stripes who will remember, rightly or wrongly, the they got a check from Republicans/Trump and didn't get one from Democrats/Biden

Assuming they actually get the minimum wage bill based before midterms, this will be quickly forgotten.

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Assuming they actually get the minimum wage bill based before midterms, this will be quickly forgotten.

I seriously doubt they will. If minimum wage is incidental to the budget and can't be included in reconciliation (the tax break nonsense is a joke) then it is the same for a lower minimum wage which manchin allegedly supports. And I'm writing this in stone: the filibuster isn't going anywhere and isn't going to change.

The monthly child tax credit might be good, but right now it's only a one year thing and would run out before 2022 elections.

Just now, Uaarkson said:

Thing is, people like us are the only ones aware of these kinds of shenanigans. The average voter is not following these developments and won’t have a significant change of opinion anyway until the money is in their accounts.

Leftists on Twitter are going to do their best to make sure this is a big deal as best they can, but not that many people read Twitter.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Leftists on Twitter are going to do their best to make sure this is a big deal as best they can, but not that many people read Twitter.

It's an unforced error of the dumbest kind and is effectively a tax increase on middle class households (since it is claimed for whatever reason that below 250k annual is middle class)

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's an unforced error of the dumbest kind and is effectively a tax increase on middle class households (since it is claimed for whatever reason that below 250k annual is middle class)

I'm not happy about it. It's a stupid concession.

7 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Thing is, people like us are the only ones aware of these kinds of shenanigans. The average voter is not following these developments and won’t have a significant change of opinion anyway until the money is in their accounts.

The people who don't follow things closely are going to be wondering where the fuck their check is and why the Democrats lied about it to them. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

People who saw ads like this who qualified for at least some of the $600 are going to be wondering where the fuck their check is when they hear about their friends getting their checks. All they're going to care about is feeling misled. 

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Reddit should be destroyed.

I'm pretty sure the person accusing me of that is some big brained centrist Democrat type too who's trying to defend this, not a rightwing shitlord.

Just now, Jason said:

I'm pretty sure the person accusing me of that is some big brained centrist Democrat type too who's trying to defend this, not a rightwing shitlord.

Tell them they hate frontline nurses who risked their lives and the best you can do is a bait and switch

Just go full troll