~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

37 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

Tourism is pretty big here in MT. 

I can attest to that. I visited two years ago and loved it. That’s part of this big trip to the north west I took. I was able to see Seattle, Portland, the entire state of Washington west to east and a little bit of Idaho, and whitefish Montana and glacier national Park.

The entire western third of the US should be big on tourism completely because it’s so fucking beautiful.

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I can attest to that. I visited two years ago and loved it. That’s part of this big trip to the north west I took. I was able to see Seattle, Portland, the entire state of Washington west to east and a little bit of Idaho, and whitefish Montana and glacier national Park.

The entire western third of the US should be big on tourism completely because it’s so fucking beautiful.

What'd you see in eastern Washington?

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

The GOP/conservative argument comes down to "real Americans don't make 80k, so we can cut if off at that amount." But real Americans aren't just coal miners in Buttfuck, Kentucky, they are also programmers in high-cost of living cities, or HR supervisors, etc.

Let's not get carried away.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The GOP/conservative argument comes down to "real Americans don't make 80k, so we can cut if off at that amount." But real Americans aren't just coal miners in Buttfuck, Kentucky, they are also programmers in high-cost of living cities, or HR supervisors, etc.

80k household income is the 57th percentile

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

80k household income is the 57th percentile

Yeah but they aren’t phasing it out at 80k per household.  Not saying I agree with their approach (it sucks), only pointing out that what you said isn’t what they are doing. 

13 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Yeah but they aren’t phasing it out at 80k per household.  Not saying I agree with their approach (it sucks), only pointing out that what you said isn’t what they are doing. 

If you're a single parent with one kid and you make $80k your stimulus just went from ~$2500 to $0. It's much worse if you have more kids!

I know it's based on filling status but there's still a significant number of households with one earner who is actually able to bring in that kind of money (and they also happen to be the swing-y voters in the suburbs that you're going to need to win)

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you're a single parent with one kid and you make $80k your stimulus just went from ~$2500 to $0. It's much worse if you have more kids!

I know it's based on filling status but there's still a significant number of households with one earner who is actually able to bring in that kind of money (and they also happen to be the swing-y voters in the suburbs that you're going to win)

I'm having an aneurysm arguing with people about this on reddit, they're all trying to justify to me about how "$80k is rich in most of the country actually so it's fine."

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I know it's based on filling status but there's still a significant number of households with one earner who is actually able to bring in that kind of money (and they also happen to be the swing-y voters in the suburbs that you're going to need to win)

Wouldn't a single parent file under a head of household status?

20 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I have done VITA work for 8 years and I’ve never seen a tax payer with a dependent file single. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but it would be exceptionally rare (and likely not even kosher, since most of the tax prep software out there won’t even let you do that). 

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

I have done VITA work for 8 years and I’ve never seen a tax payer with a dependent file single. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but it would be exceptionally rare (and likely not even kosher, since most of the tax prep software out there won’t even let you do that). 

There are situations where they may not be able to claim head of household, such as not being considered unmarried for the tax year

36 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There are situations where they may not be able to claim head of household, such as not being considered unmarried for the tax year

Those cases are exceptionally rare, and I’d be shocked if they weren’t an extreme minority of the people who are actually affected by this.

Just now, Chris- said:

Those cases are exceptionally rare, and I’d be shocked if they weren’t an extreme minority of the people who are actually affected by this.

It's very possible it's a fairly rare situation. But it still happens, and their votes matter. That said, if Dems are leaning into more formally educated, higher income "moderate" suburbanites as a voting bloc to win elections it seems dumb to change eligibility on who gets checks to the detriment of this group.