What are you playing today?

I started playing Crown Trick on Switch. I completely missed it when it came out a couple years ago, but it caught my eye when I was looking for something… well pretty much exactly this. It’s a dungeon crawling rouge-like that’s turn-based, but turns are really fast/simple. So things move quickly - if you keep moving/attacking it almost feels like an action game, but you can stop and plan out your moves whenever things get hectic (which is often). I’m not super deep into it yet, but it’s made a great first impression. And speaking of sales, it’s $6 on Switch now. 

I’ve been playing Ashen, and enjoying it. It’s kind of like Dark Souls Lite. It’s similar to Dark Souls in a lot of ways and obviously inspired by it, but it’s a little more accessible and not as punishing. It’s still challenging, but not frustratingly difficult. It’s open world but on a small scale, and has dungeons. Its graphics are a little cartoonish and stylized featuring wooden figurine looking characters without faces. There’s charm to its visuals, but they’re not quite as appealing as the darker more realistic ones in games like Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Elden Ring IMO. However, if you like Soulsborne games then I would recommend checking it out if you haven’t already.

Waiting for Xenoblade 3 has done wonders for reducing the backlog.  I'm tearing through a lot of games knowing that it's going to suck up my spare time soon.

Dicey Dungeons is still a lot of fun.  Playing through more of it now that I heard there's an update.  I'm currently working my way through all the characters.  It's comes pretty close to Slay the Spire for me, which says a lot considering how much I enjoyed that game.

Also tried 20XX a bit today.  It's addictive and a decent homage to Megaman, but doesn't control quite as well as the X games thanks to the shorter dash.  There's too many bottomless pits in the randomly generated levels, but they only takes away one health point thankfully.  I'll continue with it for a bit, it's still one of the better Rogue-likes I've tried.

Luigi's Mansion 2 on the side as well on the 3DS.  I'm fine with it being a slow burn.

FX6aHY8WIAEKYII?format=jpg&name=small

The Game Gear port of Mortal Kombat II looks *GREAT* on the Analogue Pocket. The game itself plays a little janky, but passable for a handheld in 1994. Not the best portable fighter I've ever played, but definitely not the worst. For those curious, I would say it's worth checking out. 

8 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

FX6aHY8WIAEKYII?format=jpg&name=small

The Game Gear port of Mortal Kombat II looks *GREAT* on xthe Analogue Pocket. The game itself plays a little janky, but passable for a handheld in 1994. Not the best portable fighter I've ever played, but definitely not the worst. For those curious, I would say it's worth checking out. 

The logo not being centered because of the "TM" absolutely drives my OCD wild. 

Today I'll be playing GT7 (I finally set up my racing seat and wheel yesterday. I really hope we get a VR mode when psvr2 launches.

Also still playing Trails of Cold Steel, which I love.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Speaking of OCD, I see that your screen protector (the original one?) is just coming up on the left side. This would cause me to peel the whole thing off! :p

It's weird, because actually it's NOT coming up. The glass is flush against the screen. It just has that weird, small pocket of...air? Or something that when the light hits it...makes it look like that. It is strange but thankfully I'm not that concerned about it. Heck, I didn't even realize it until it was pointed out to me! :p 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

It's weird, because actually it's NOT coming up. The glass is flush against the screen. It just has that weird, small pocket of...air? Or something that when the light hits it...makes it look like that. It is strange but thankfully I'm not that concerned about it. Heck, I didn't even realize it until it was pointed out to me! :p 

Sorry for having done so! 

• Haha 1

Made it to the 'Wily Stage' in 20XX after a run with a lucky powerup.  That's where I'll stop, considering how ridiculous it would have been otherwise.  20XX falls pretty hard into the genre's pitfalls of throwing too much at you.

I watched a video of the last boss after deciding I was done.  He forces unavoidable damage on you during his stance transitions.  Fuck that.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I started playing Hob, and I’m liking it. It’s an isometric view action adventure game with platforming and environment puzzles. It has a cute and colorful art style, and plays really well.

I enjoyed that game too, beat it two years back.  Wish the combat was a little better, but I still have good memories of it on the whole.

• Halal 1

FYHfYoAWIAUfDRV?format=jpg&name=small

I played through the Game Gear version, so I decided I would also play the Game Boy version of this game. It's not bad! It's also not good. And the fatalities are gruesome, despite no blood. (I suspect this is more hardware limitations, not censorship) But fun to play. It's a decent portable version of the game...for the time it came out. 

Maybe Street Fighter will be next? No Game Gear version of that, but I do have Street Fighter II on Game Boy and Street Fighter Alpha on Game Boy Color, so....we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

Someone listened to me and put the TM above the T so that the name could be centered.

Probe made 3 of the 4 ports of MKII. SNES version, considered the best version, was made by someone else. So maybe there were 3 different teams at Probe all doing their own thing. :p

• Shocked 1

Tried out Star Fox Zero a bit.  I forgot how fun having speakers on a controller is, it’s really neat in this game and fits with the cockpit theme.

Controls are a mixed bag, no surprise there.  But I’m digging the vibe of the game so far, it’s bringing me back.  Having just got off of Panzer Dragoon Remake, I think the on rails sections here are better too.

Strange how they made it more of a retelling of 64 though.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Tried out Star Fox Zero a bit.  I forgot how fun having speakers on a controller is, it’s really neat in this game and fits with the cockpit theme.

Controls are a mixed bag, no surprise there.  But I’m digging the vibe of the game so far, it’s bringing me back.  Having just got off of Panzer Dragoon Remake, I think the on rails sections here are better too.

Ghostwire Tokyo uses the speaker on the DS in a cool way too. The voice in the character’s head comes from controller instead of the TV. Due to the proximity of the controller to my tv, it becomes a cool touch. 

• True 1

17 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Maybe you should switch to this game

Just played a bunch of fighters last night, trying to save Stray for the weekend so only played a tiny bit.

I’m surprised how few fighters switch got, really lacking there. It got the one kinda decent MK11 port and USF2T and thats about it besides a few old ports. Capcom should have at least done a good USF4 port on it. But ya that genre is really lacking on switch.

Which makes getting a deck crazy when you start getting the fighters loaded up because it can play essentially all of them. I do think KOF15 is my current favorite playing one, but SF5CE is pretty good now too, and has a lot more content. MK11 and Injustice 2 look amazing on the deck.

I’m not sure if Strive really lands with me, though the initial loading is improved it now just strikes me as kind of mediocre idk. I feel like the backgrounds distract from the “looks like a cartoon” thing too. They need more style applied to them or something they just look low polly and not blended with the characters to me. This is a little less noticeable  on the smaller deck screen but still, idk, it didn’t impress me like I thought it would and the sp content is week with all the story just being a movie.

Also while SF5CE has good content and a large roster now, going back to USF4, I think I like the roster there better. It’s like 6 characters smaller but it has more classic ones like all the Super characters and Guy > Cody.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m not sure if Strive really lands with me, though the initial loading is improved it now just strikes me as kind of mediocre idk. I feel like the backgrounds distract from the “looks like a cartoon” thing too. They need more style applied to them or something they just look low polly and not blended with the characters to me. This is a little less noticeable  on the smaller deck screen but still, idk, it didn’t impress me like I thought it would and the sp content is week with all the story just being a movie.

When you getting DNF Duel?

It's official. To help get myself out of this deep depression, I'm going to play Spiderman tomorrow. It's been a minute and I just watched easy allies review for the PS4 Pro when it launched and they gave it a 9.5!

I just remember having an absolute blast swinging through the city and the combat was fucking great. 

• True 1

37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's official. To help get myself out of this deep depression, I'm going to play Spiderman tomorrow. It's been a minute and I just watched easy allies review for the PS4 Pro when it launched and they gave it a 9.5!

I just remember having an absolute blast swinging through the city and the combat was fucking great. 

Wait have you played Miles already?

47 minutes ago, stepee said:

Wait have you played Miles already?

No. I was wondering if that was available for ps4. I can look obviously but I thought that was for ps5 only.

Edit: I looked it up. Hmm, the campaign is only 8 hours long but it got good reviews overall. I might try this after I beat the original. Thanks for the heads up.