What are you playing today?

I started playing .hack//G.U. Last Recode, and I’ve been liking it. The story and characters are what have been pulling me in the most, the game itself is kind of a repetitive dungeon crawler. But the combat is decent, and the pacing is good with story moments constantly happening. Of course originally being a PS2 game the graphics are somewhat dated looking, but this remaster is displayed in high definition widescreen running at 60fps which makes it feel a little more current.

Well actually I technically did beat Valhalla last night actually lol, I didn’t realize that was the end? Then finished off the rest of the epilogue today. The ending sort of just happens and fizzles out. Like you sorta mission accomplished and there is a to be continued but it’s all very anti climatic.

I didn’t beat the entire post game because what was involved (killing every one of order) was too grindy for me and not interested so I read what happened. Which is kind of disappointing to not play that last bit of content after putting in 110 hours and doing both dlc, too much gating there.

If it was made more clear that was to be needed to get the final ending I would have been doing those here and there throughout this entire time, but now it’s too much content I don’t want to play stacked together before a small ending update. Meh.

The entire ending soured my opinion a little (narratively it’s a little better with the true ending) but it was the small side stories of each saga that carried the game anyway. 

Id give it a critically looking at it 8.8/10 with a personal rating of 9.0/10 as it really hit the spot for me right now.

36 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well actually I technically did beat Valhalla last night actually lol, I didn’t realize that was the end? Then finished off the rest of the epilogue today. The ending sort of just happens and fizzles out. Like you sorta mission accomplished and there is a to be continued but it’s all very anti climatic.

I didn’t beat the entire post game because what was involved (killing every one of order) was too grindy for me and not interested so I read what happened. Which is kind of disappointing to not play that last bit of content after putting in 110 hours and doing both dlc, too much gating there.

I quit playing Assassin’s Creed Valhalla after completing the final story mission as well, and felt that the ending was fairly anticlimactic considering everything that I went through to reach it. But I had a feeling that the game wasn’t really complete since I didn’t kill all of the Order of the Ancients members, because Assassin’s Creed Odyssey also isn’t really complete until you kill all of the Cult of Kosmos members.  However, I really enjoyed hunting down and killing all of them in it because I actually liked having some more to do in the game after I finished the main story. When I finished the last story mission in Valhalla I had my fill of the game and didn’t want to play it any longer, but I’m going to play it again at some point so that I can experience the Siege of Paris and Kassandra DLC that I didn’t the first time that I played it as well as kill all of the Order of the Ancients members.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I quit playing Assassin’s Creed Valhalla after completing the final story mission as well, and felt that the ending was fairly anticlimactic considering everything that I went through to reach it. But I had a feeling that the game wasn’t really complete since I didn’t kill all of the Order of the Ancients members, because Assassin’s Creed Odyssey also isn’t really complete until you kill all of the Cult of Kosmos members.  However, I really enjoyed hunting down and killing all of them in it because I actually liked having some more to do in the game after I finished the main story. When I finished the last story mission in Valhalla I had my fill of the game and didn’t want to play it any longer, but I’m going to play it again at some point so that I can experience the Siege of Paris and Kassandra DLC that I didn’t the first time that I played it as well as kill all of the Order of the Ancients members.

It was such a weird ending in that it’s very hard to tell that it..ended. A lot of the main story you have characters keeping secrets from you about what is going on making you think there is this larger narrative at play but the secret is there is actually nothing and the writers were just making shit up as they went along until the end where it goes off the rails. 

I had actually forgotten about the modern day part for the most part since I started this up until right when I got to England about a year and a half ago originally, and then picked it up again last month. And it just never really guided me to where I felt like steeping out of the animus, so during this whole 100 hour play session I wasn’t interacting with that beyond the glitches in the world. So it really felt jarring lol.

Played through Toree 3D and Toree 2, they were 50 cents each on the steam sale and have a crispy low res polygon style I like. Simple Mario 3D world type indie platformers,  about 90 min to beat them both collecting all the stars. Definitely would like to see a more full release from this dev, the controls are very very tight. Give me like 100 levels and a budget for more polish/variety/assets but in the same style and I would give them some real money.

12 hours ago, stepee said:

It was such a weird ending in that it’s very hard to tell that it..ended. A lot of the main story you have characters keeping secrets from you about what is going on making you think there is this larger narrative at play but the secret is there is actually nothing and the writers were just making shit up as they went along until the end where it goes off the rails.

I agree, the game continues going after the final story mission without there being any real conclusion or finality to it. I still had my save from a year ago, so I’m playing it again now. I wasn’t really interested in starting it over from the very beginning, so now I can play the Siege of Paris and Kassandra storylines without having to go through the entire game again.

I just don't have any urge to finish Cyberpunk. I'm so fuckin weird I know. I want to try another game but I don't know what now. Forbidden West is an option but I am just confused lol.

I was even contemplating playing RE2 again with the upgrades. 

:/

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just don't have any urge to finish Cyberpunk. I'm so fuckin weird I know. I want to try another game but I don't know what now. Forbidden West is an option but I am just confused lol.

I think you just don't want to finish games despite your "gaming drought"

Don't want to finish Elden Ring, don't want to finish Cyberpunk, the list goes on

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think you just don't want to finish games despite your "gaming drought"

Don't want to finish Elden Ring, don't want to finish Cyberpunk, the list goes on

I usually finish every game I start. It's been a strange year. What list of games have I listed that I didn't finish? 

This is coming from a guy who rather watch others game online rather than play games yourself. 

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

PGA 2K21

I have this in my backlog waiting to be played when I get in the mood for some golf, how is it?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

You’re not weird, I think that you just go through different moods of what you feel like playing. You might be in the mood for a certain game at one time and play and enjoy it for a while, but then you get in the mood for something else and don’t really want to continue playing the game that you were playing. That happens to me sometimes, what I’m in the mood to play can change from one day to the next. Or I’m just not in the mood to play anything, so I do something else and come back to the game that I was playing when I’m in the mood to play it again. It can depend on the game as well because some games suck me in more than others, but that can also be based on my mood at the time too. The bottom line is that you know when you’re enjoying a game or not, and you shouldn’t keep playing something that isn’t interesting you unless maybe you’re at the end of it and just want to finish it at that point.

54 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I watch people play games WHILE I play my own games.

spacer.png

• Halal 1

Its a good golf game for sure. I have to play on amateur because professional is extremely difficult for me with the timing and pulling the analog stick front to back to swing. I slice or hook everything without some assistance. The single player career mode is great. Lots of customization for your character looks and real life equipment, clothing, hats, clubs. etc to earn. It has challenges that will earn you XP during golf tournaments and it sort of plays like a golf sim RPG.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have you ever played a game with the TV on in the background? It's a lot like that. It's not a totally abnormal thing to do.

Never had a TV on or any other distractions while gaming. Again, like I asked, what games don't I finish? You can't say something so fuckin stupid and then not back it up. 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have you ever played a game with the TV on in the background? It's a lot like that. It's not a totally abnormal thing to do.

No, because I game on my TV. :p But in all seriousness, when I play a game it gets my full undivided attention and I don’t want anything else outside of it distracting me in any way. But that’s me, and I know that everyone is different.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve never been too concerned with finishing games. When I’m no longer enjoying a game for whatever reason, or if I stop playing one to play something else, that’s fine. Maybe I’ll get back to it, maybe I won’t. Who gives a shit? 

I pretty much have the same attitude especially since I have so many games that I don’t want to waste my time playing something that I’m not really enjoying, but I also dislike the feeling of having wasted money on a game that I don’t want to play or finish. Of course that comes with the territory, because I usually don’t know for sure how much that I’m going to like a game or not until I actually play it. A lot of the time I’m taking a chance on what I buy, that’s why I almost always wait for games to drop in price or go on sale before I buy them because it takes away the sting a little if I end up not liking them or don’t want to finish them.

33 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

No, because I game on my TV. :p But in all seriousness, when I play a game it gets my full undivided attention and I don’t want anything else outside of it distracting me in any way. But that’s me, and I know that everyone is different.

Well with a PC, a switch, an ipad and a steam deck I can have the TV on while I play other things. Now I don't play EVERYTHING like this. Like when I play Elden Ring I'm kind of locked in I don't have anything on in the background. Story driven games with a lot of dialogue I'll concentrate on. And other games I might not have the TV on but I'll play my own music while I play. I did this a lot when I played Assassin's Creed and it works for a lot of open world games too.

36 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve never been too concerned with finishing games. When I’m no longer enjoying a game for whatever reason, or if I stop playing one to play something else, that’s fine. Maybe I’ll get back to it, maybe I won’t. Who gives a shit? 

Yeah I don't really care if anyone finishes games, which makes this blow up kind of silly to me. It's as if I personally insulted him or something.

Hey best, sorry, you complete games. I was wrong. 🤝

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I named two games you didn't finish. Now take @Biggie's advice and take a big deep breath and relax.

I put 80 hours into Elden Ring. I consider that "finished" imo. I may go back much later on and start the game over and see if I can fully beat it. 

Cyberpunk will be beat it's just a matter of when I'll do it.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

You forgot Valhalla.

No need to jump in and be an ass. 

Overall, when I spend money on games I prefer to beat them to not only see an ending but to get my money's worth.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I don't really care if anyone finishes games, which makes this blow up kind of silly to me. It's as if I personally insulted him or something.

Hey best, sorry, you complete games. I was wrong. 🤝

"Blow up"? You're fucking strange, dude. Post 100k post on a message board at all hours of the night and think you know everything. You're fucking annoying.

I finished A Fated Encounter in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, it was a nice little side story featuring Kassandra from Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. While it was really good free content, I would have preferred that it was longer paid DLC because it was too brief IMO. But I still enjoyed it, and the ending was bittersweet. Now I’m going to play Siege of Paris.

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

More Psyconauts 2.  I still feel like it's too linear and closed for an open-range 3D platformer, but the conceptual creativity keeps it exciting.  Just finished the 70's inspired bits.

I kind of disagree and agree with this. I’m not sure if I wanted the stages themselves to be more open ended than they are, I think they are pretty good as is. There’s a lot of different stages here and a plot that needs to kick at a decent pace so i’d think too much extra exploring in each stage might slow it down.

I did think the hub world could have been larger and offered more in the way of side quests/exploration/npc interaction there. I would have expanded that part but kept the rest the same.

-

I picked up Tekken 7 for $6 to add to my deck fighting game collection, runs great on the deck despite saying it’s not supported. I did set it to proton experimental though. Anyway I had a good time with it, haven’t played a new Tekken in awhile, and the base game gives me all the characters I cared about and there’s a lot of single player content here which is great. Really wish Strive and especially KOF15 had that level of sp content.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

I kind of disagree and agree with this. I’m not sure if I wanted the stages themselves to be more open ended than they are, I think they are pretty good as is. There’s a lot of different stages here and a plot that needs to kick at a decent pace so i’d think too much extra exploring in each stage might slow it down.

I did think the hub world could have been larger and offered more in the way of side quests/exploration/npc interaction there. I would have expanded that part but kept the rest the same.

Obviously not done with the game yet, so I'll reserve some judgement. 

It's not that the levels are bad, but too often they feel like palette swaps to the same underlying approach.  It's gone through at least 4 or 5 different visual ways to represent bottomless pits now.  And in the level I just beat, I clipped through the ground several times for checking out nooks and crannies.  It really wants to guide you on a critical path.

I'd just like some levels that let me explore a bit more.  Not everything needs to feel like a riff on a Mario Sunshine challenge level.  Especially in a platformer that doesn't take away your camera control.  A game like Hat in Time strikes a much better balance so far.

Played 3 hours of Cyberpunk and just focused on the story. I'm thinking I'm nearing the conclusion but who knows.

Overall, atm, I'd give this game an 7.5/10. 

Oddly enough I've been using a shotgun basically throughout my time with the game and there is no upgrade tree for shotguns.... Odd but whatever.