What are you playing today?

1 hour ago, stepee said:

The weapons are kinda weird cuz you gotta craft out the levels to improve them which is how you get big gains but then you hit a point  where the requirements for crafting upgrades are outrageous so you don’t bother anymore. I think you’ll get some stuff eventually better than the original but it’s mostly about upgrading from what I recall.

I guess I haven't paid much attention to crafting. Thanks.

I just got done playing 2 more hours just now. This is becoming my GOTY right now. I'm about 17 hours in and I've been doing all the side missions. I'm just loving how this game was designed. It's so organized and detailed. I'm still stopping at moments just to take in the incredible environments. 

18 hours ago, best3444 said:

I woke up at 7am and played Forbidden West until 12pm. This game is so fucking well done. It's always fun during combat and I love the different ways you can take the robots down. The voice acting and motion captures are fantastic. It also may be the best looking game I've played. This is my opinion on the PS4 Pro so you guys that played on the PS5 were lucky sons to birches.

Seriously though, it looks stunning so that satisfies my graphic whore mentality.

I discovered two more "cities" today again I'm not finding any weapons at vendors that are better than my original bow maxed out. 

@BloodyHell @stepee Am I missing something here?

Weapons get better by text color, but you need to upgrade them. The base weapons may be weaker, but they have a much higher upgrade ceiling.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Weapons get better by text color, but you need to upgrade them. The base weapons may be weaker, but they have a much higher upgrade ceiling.

So you're saying at a vendor I should buy the best bow they have. Which at it's base stats are weaker than my original bow maxed out but the new bow can be upgraded and eventually surpass my original bow. Correct?

Same go with outfits/armor?

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So you're saying at a vendor I should buy the best bow they have. Which at it's base stats are weaker than my original bow maxed out but the new bow can be upgraded and eventually surpass my original bow. Correct?

Same go with outfits/armor?

Yes.

But not everything, just buy weapons, upgrade enough to get you by, and save materials until you get purple or orange gear.

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Yes.

But not everything, just buy weapons, upgrade enough to get you by, and save materials until you get purple or orange gear.

Purple and orange gear? I'm level 17 with about 17 hours played to give you a reference where I'm at and when I'll see these purple and orange gear.

Back into Skyward Sword, and man, it’s really doing everything it can to get me to stop playing. I need a certain song, but it’s split into pieces! Surprise surprise, I need to go collect three things, let me guess: are they in the three main locations this game has? Will I need to fight the same dumb boss I fought an hour ago? Oh cool, I’m back to the same place I’ve been multiple times already, but now it’s underwater! Just what I wanted: an water level collect-athon. Fuck off!:lol:

• Haha 1

4 freakin hours straight this morning with Forbidden West. 21 hours in and I barely touched the main story. I finally got better weapons and it's just a blast to fight in this game. I love the diverse environments too.

IDK, maybe it's a new game high but this is one of the better games I've played in a long time. 

6 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Back into Skyward Sword, and man, it’s really doing everything it can to get me to stop playing. I need a certain song, but it’s split into pieces! Surprise surprise, I need to go collect three things, let me guess: are they in the three main locations this game has? Will I need to fight the same dumb boss I fought an hour ago? Oh cool, I’m back to the same place I’ve been multiple times already, but now it’s underwater! Just what I wanted: an water level collect-athon. Fuck off!:lol:

It’s not as redundant as the setup suggests.  Some of the ideas they introduce are the genesis for what they later tried in Eventide Island, in BoTW.  You’ll get to visit some new areas in the desert as well.

Skyward Sword definitely has issues with boss repetition.  And I can’t remember if you got to it yet, but the Water Basin part is way worse padding than where you are now.

Tadtone section was fairly innocuous to me.  The larger issue was the awkward motion swimming controls IMO.

I’m on the last world in Kirby and I’m ready for it to be finished. It’s been fun, but the levels feel like a quick run through (I tend to try and get most waddle dee’s, some of the extras) and now I have the fire thing and the bomb thing maxed out, I’ve dropped off on getting the Crystals. It’s been fun, but I think I’m ready for a bit more of a seamless game now. 

Couldn't resist and played more Horizon. I have done all side missions offered so far and just now cleared all ruins. Ruins are kinda fun because you have to solve "puzzles" in order to obtain the ornaments. 

Maybe this is a spoiler but when you get these ornaments Aloy says something like these will come in handy later on. So I have no idea what they are. Anyone tackle the ruins?

I started playing ANNO: Mutationem, and I’m digging it. I was expecting it to primarily be a side scrolling action platformer, but it’s also a story driven adventure game with NPC interaction and slight exploration. The graphics are an appealing mix of 2D pixel art characters, and 3D polygon environments. The music and voice acting are really good, too. The story and characters are interesting, the graphics have a colorful anime style cyberpunk aesthetic and the hack ‘n slash/shooting combat is fun.

8 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I started playing ANNO: Mutationem, and I’m digging it. I was expecting it to primarily be a side scrolling action platformer, but it’s also a story driven adventure game with NPC interaction and slight exploration. The graphics are an appealing mix of 2D pixel art characters, and 3D polygon environments. The music and voice acting are really good, too. The story and characters are interesting, the graphics have a colorful anime style cyberpunk aesthetic and the hack ‘n slash/shooting combat is fun.

Why aren't you playing Forbidden West?

Played a little over 3 hours this morning of HFW. I turned my focus onto the main story because I've read you get necessary items later in the game. For instance:

Spoiler

I am level 21 and have a side quest that must utilize a breathing tool because I have to dive and explore ruins underground. I barely make it down half way in the water and I can't do it. So I'm going to unlock more stuff through the story.

Also, I'm torn if these are the best visuals I've seen. It really fucking blows I'm not playing this on a PS5. I'm missing a lot of detail.  😕 

Someone at Double Fine must have played Skyward Sword.  The inspirations in Bob’s brain are pretty obvious.  Psychonauts 2 doesn’t take the concept as far, but it’s also a 3D platformer, not a puzzle adventure game.

It’s nice seeing someone steal something from it, not gonna lie.

Still bouncing around a bunch of games on deck. Playing a few missions or Killer is Dead, I think I’m going to keep playing this one here and finish it. It’s style over substance but man what style. The combat feels satisfying in the same way NMH does.

The plot makes zero sense but that’s fine. The mini games where you trying to view woman’s privates without them catching you is less fine, and definitely would not make it in 2022. Apparently the publisher insisted on this? Insane world. But anyway besides that it’s violent nonsense and has an atmosphere that is just thick as fuck. 

Also bought and started Yakuza Kiwami 2. This one uses the 6/7 engine and it looks stunning on the deck at 40fps/high/800p. The level of detail and clarity on a handheld is rad af exploring the city in bed.

Also sigh bought MK11 Ultimate for $12.50 so now I have all the modern fighters handheld basically, will play through the story modes of that one here. Looks insane on deck, runs maxed at 800p/60. Really good comparison vs the switch version to see that generational leap. 

Fucking steam sale came at a bad time with me just getting the deck, I’m like prey.

Also played some Spelunky 2, Crackdown 3, and THPS1-2 HD

I tried to get all of Gau's Rages in FFVI Pixel Remaster. There are 2 that you can't get without hacks in any version of the game, 1 that you can only get in the GBA version of the game and I missed the Ninja because I only fought it in the Sealed Cave encounter and not on the Floating Continent where it's a random encounter. I plan to beat the final boss again before moving on to another game.

I'm already 2 hours in HFB this morning. The main story missions are epic compared to any side quests I've seen. 

This is just a remarkable game. Although, I hit a section in the story where so much shit was happening at once that things weren't fully loading. The PS4 Pro can barely handle this game. It still looks really impressive but I saw what I'm missing out on with the PS5. :(

Edit: I'd like to also comment on the awful loading times on the Pro. You might as well not even fast travel because it takes forever to load up. XSX spoiled me with loading that's for sure.

• Sad 1

On 7/2/2022 at 2:32 PM, crispy4000 said:

It’s not as redundant as the setup suggests.  Some of the ideas they introduce are the genesis for what they later tried in Eventide Island, in BoTW.  You’ll get to visit some new areas in the desert as well.

Skyward Sword definitely has issues with boss repetition.  And I can’t remember if you got to it yet, but the Water Basin part is way worse padding than where you are now.

Tadtone section was fairly innocuous to me.  The larger issue was the awkward motion swimming controls IMO.

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit. Collecting the pieces of that song wasn’t too bad. I’m ultimately glad I gave this game a second chance after giving up on the Wii version pretty quickly. I had gotten to maybe the halfway point on Switch last fall and put it down to play something and again, I’m glad I got back into it. I’ll probably finish on my next day off. 

On 6/27/2022 at 12:44 AM, crispy4000 said:

More Psyconauts 2.  I still feel like it's too linear and closed for an open-range 3D platformer, but the conceptual creativity keeps it exciting.  Just finished the 70's inspired bits.

Oh thank you for the reminder, I still need to get that game! (It's digital-only, right?) You're enjoying it so far?

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Oh thank you for the reminder, I still need to get that game! (It's digital-only, right?) You're enjoying it so far?

I just beat it today.  Best 3D platformer since Mario Odyssey, one of the genre’s all time greats, even moreso than it’s predecessor.

It has some flaws.  Combat isn’t great and can feel forced.  Too often you’re jumping through things just to let the game tell it’s story.  But my issues with it seeming too rail guided got a little better by the end.

It’s very Double Fine adventure game in spirit, which is a good thing on the whole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Scott Pilgrim on PC, co-op

I see that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge has gotten you in a co-op beat ‘em up mood. :p Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a really good one. Another really good one is River City Girls, and I would recommend checking it out if you haven’t already.

5 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I see that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge has gotten you in a co-op beat ‘em up mood. :p Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a really good one. Another really good one is River City Girls, and I would recommend checking it out if you haven’t already.

Husband has already played all the River City games. I haven’t, but I figure we’ll give it a go at some point. 

We’ve always enjoyed beat-em-ups, we just go through phases with them. We have a collection of PCBs that we play from time to time. 

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Husband has already played all the River City games. I haven’t, but I figure we’ll give it a go at some point.

River City Girls is a good single player beat ‘em up as it has some adventure elements to it, it’s not just a straight-up left to right arcade brawler. So that’s one that you could enjoy by yourself if you wanted to.

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We’ve always enjoyed beat-em-ups, we just go through phases with them. We have a collection of PCBs that we play from time to time. 

Beat ‘em ups have been one of my favorite genres since I was a kid, I’m glad that there’s been a resurgence of them in recent years.

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I've been playing Trails of Cold Steel, and I can't believe I never got into this before. Its so damn good so far.

I’ve been wanting to play the Trails of Cold Steel series for a while now, but physical copies of the games remain pricey and they haven’t been as cheap digitally as I would like yet either. When I can get each of them for $20 or less, then that’s when I will buy them. I don’t expect the physical copies to ever be that cheap, but I’m sure that the digital versions will be at some point.

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I’ve been wanting to play the Trails of Cold Steel series for a while now, but physical copies of the games remain pricey and they haven’t been as cheap digitally as I would like yet either. When I can get each of them for $20 or less, then that’s when I will buy them. I don’t expect the physical copies to ever be that cheap, but I’m sure that the digital versions will be at some point.

The first is 20$ on psn until the 7th.