What are you playing today?

Finished Skyward Sword HD. Not sure what my next main game is going to be. I bought The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles on Switch, but I think that’s something I’ll end up playing slowly over the course of like a year. :p

Since I had rare success in picking up and finishing a game I stopped playing almost a year ago, I might try that again. I’ve been meaning to get back to YS VIII for a while. 

11 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, the first two games have been on sale for $20 at the PS Store a few times, but I want to buy all four at the same time because I plan on marathoning them.

Unless they create a bundle, its rare to see them all on sale at once.  I don't think I ever have. Maybe on PC? I don't actually know if they are on pc tho. 

I'm slowly making my way through the Live A Live demo. I hope everybody else is giving this a shot. I wasn't a huge fan of the gfx effect in other games (excessive use of extreme normal mapping and POM give me a headache) but it's done really well in this one. Looking forward to picking up a physical copy this month.

9 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve been meaning to get back to YS VIII for a while. 

Great game, one of my favorite JRPGs last gen. My only real complaint with it is that you don’t get the true ending unless you do every single individual character side quest in it, I didn’t know that so I got the bad incomplete ending. I watched the true ending on YouTube, and it’s a much better and more satisfying conclusion to the game. It shouldn’t be locked away by having to do every single character side quest in the game, but I wanted to let you know before you played it so that you could decide if that’s something that you want to do or not. Otherwise you can just watch the true ending on YouTube like I did.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Unless they create a bundle, its rare to see them all on sale at once.  I don't think I ever have.

They’ve all been on sale a couple of times at the PS Store during their Big in Japan sales, but only the first two games were on sale for $20 while the third and fourth games were on sale for like $30 and $40. When they’re all on sale at the same time for $20 or less each, then that’s when I will buy them.

I’ve been playing one of my favorite beat ‘em ups, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It’s hard to believe that it’s 20 years old, because it still holds up fairly well. I go back to it every so often because it’s just pure fun from a gameplay standpoint, and there haven’t been many 3D beat ‘em ups like it since. Sure we’ve gotten a lot of classic 2D arcade style beat ‘em ups over the years, but BtVS is the evolution of the genre incorporating some adventure and platforming elements into it so that it’s not strictly fighting groups of enemies over and over again down a straight and narrow path. I’m not sure if I’ll finish it since I’ve played and finished it several times before, but I’m enjoying it again for now.

Hat in Time Nyakuza Metro DLC - The best level they've built from what I've played.  Booting it up after Psyconauts 2 reminded me how poor the camera controls are though.

The Last Campfire - Puzzle game with some brief overworld roaming between challenge levels.  So far it's nothing special, but it's chill.

On 7/8/2022 at 7:13 AM, best3444 said:

I totally forgot about Kena: Bridge of Spirits.  I want to play that sometime this year. It's only 10-12 hours long but from what I'm reading it's a very solid title.

I’ve been wanting Kena: Bridge of Spirits since it came out, but I want a physical copy which has been a bit pricey. When I can get it for $30 or less, I’ll buy it.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I totally forgot about Kena: Bridge of Spirits.  I want to play that sometime this year. It's only 10-12 hours long but from what I'm reading it's a very solid title.

Yes, it’s so good and pretty!

• Thanks 1

Still playing random stuff. Last night played the first part of Batman Origins and Terminator Resistance. Batman I’ll get to later on just too many other things but Terminator I might just run through more immediately. Seems like a good 360 era throwback mini fallout style with tons of fan service.

Then played some Robocop arcade for some reason and then finished up the night with some Rastan arcade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stepee said:

Still playing random stuff. Last night played the first part of Batman Origins and Terminator Resistance. Batman I’ll get to later on just too many other things but Terminator I might just run through more immediately. Seems like a good 360 era throwback mini fallout style with tons of fan service.

Then played some Robocop arcade for some reason and then finished up the night with some Rastan arcade.

I have Terminator: Resistance in my backlog, and I plan on playing it when when I’m in the mood for an FPS. I’m glad to hear that it’s good. Rastan was one of my favorite arcade games back in the day, I played it a lot in the arcade and had it for Commodore 64 and Master System.

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I have Terminator: Resistance in my backlog, and I plan on playing it when when I’m in the mood for an FPS. I’m glad to hear that it’s good. Rastan was one of my favorite arcade games back in the day, I played it a lot in the arcade and had it for Commodore 64 and Master System.

Rastan was one of my first video games! My parents got us a SMS because they read it was more powerful than NES (which is true!) and while I would have probably enjoyed more games on NES looking back, I still of course loved it back then. 

I think actually not counting Safari Hunt/Hang-On it was my first video game that wasn’t a pack in. I think it’s actually best on SMS, Arcade seems to span more enemy’s at you, though is easier with unlimited continues.

Game still has great atmosphere and level design imo. I was always so disappointed with how Rastan 2 looks and 3 being a beat ‘em up.

• Halal 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:47 PM, crispy4000 said:

The Last Campfire - Puzzle game with some brief overworld roaming between challenge levels.  So far it's nothing special, but it's chill.

Just unlocked the game's central (?) power-up, now I've got a better idea where it's going.  It's kind of a mash up of Captain Toad and BoTW shrine puzzles now.

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

Rastan was one of my first video games! My parents got us a SMS because they read it was more powerful than NES (which is true!) and while I would have probably enjoyed more games on NES looking back, I still of course loved it back then.

I had NES, SMS and C64 at the time, and NES was my favorite of them due to its game library. But SMS did have slightly better graphics and some great games, some of my favorites of that generation. Although I liked NES more, I couldn’t imagine not having SMS as well. C64 was my least favorite of the three, but it definitely had a varied library of games a lot of stuff that would never be on a game console like NES or SMS.

I think actually not counting Safari Hunt/Hang-On it was my first video game that wasn’t a pack in. I think it’s actually best on SMS, Arcade seems to span more enemy’s at you, though is easier with unlimited continues.

The SMS version is probably my favorite as well, although the C64 version was pretty good too.

Game still has great atmosphere and level design imo. I was always so disappointed with how Rastan 2 looks and 3 being a beat ‘em up.

I didn’t really care for the sequels, either.

• Halal 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:13 AM, best3444 said:

I totally forgot about Kena: Bridge of Spirits.  I want to play that sometime this year. It's only 10-12 hours long but from what I'm reading it's a very solid title.

I decided to play this today to get back into a gaming rhythm. It's very short and looks fun. Then I'll go back to finish Forbidden West. 

24 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I didn’t know that you had Kena: Bridge of Spirits, when did you get it?

I'll buy it at lunch today to download. Then when I get home from work I'm going to play. Costs $40 which is a bit steep for a 10 hour game. It's a game I know I'll enjoy.

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'll buy it at lunch today to download. Then when I get home from work I'm going to play. Costs $40 which is a bit steep for a 10 hour game. It's a game I know I'll enjoy.

It was just on sale for around $25 at the PS Store, I’m sure that it will go on sale again fairly soon if you wanted to wait to get it cheaper. I want a physical copy, but they only released the deluxe edition physically which is $10 more ($50). It’s $35 now, but that’s still a little more than I want to pay. I’m sure that it will be $30 or less fairly soon.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

It was just on sale for around $25 at the PS Store, I’m sure that it will go on sale again fairly soon if you wanted to wait to get it cheaper. I want a physical copy, but they only released the deluxe edition physically which is $10 more ($50). It’s $35 now, but that’s still a little more than I want to pay. I’m sure that it will be $30 or less fairly soon.

It's already downloaded for me. It's only 8GB and downloaded quickly. So now I just come home from work and fire it up.

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Cool, I look forward to your impressions.

It's very cool. I only played a little over 2 hours but it's extremely charming and cute. The "rot" and the two children I met are absolutely adorable. It definitely gets inspiration from Zelda but that's great to me. Funny enough, I died maybe 6 times fighting a "boss". The difficulty is actually pretty solid and I was getting Elden Ring vibes trying to kill the boss.  😆 

It's great so far so I look forward to playing more. 

I think you will really like it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's very cool. I only played a little over 2 hours but it's extremely charming and cute. The "rot" and the two children I met are absolutely adorable. It definitely gets inspiration from Zelda but that's great to me. Funny enough, I died maybe 6 times fighting a "boss". The difficulty is actually pretty solid and I was getting Elden Ring vibes trying to kill the boss.  😆 

@stepee you were correct, this is a beautiful looking game. Even on the PS4 Pro it looks fantastic. Thanks for keeping me on this games radar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Thanks for the early impressions, it sounds good except for the bosses being difficult. I’m not a fan of difficult bosses in games, that’s why I’ve given up on FromSoftware games. I like bosses to be a moderate challenge, not frustratingly difficult to where they impede my progress and make me stop having fun.

16 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Thanks for the early impressions, it sounds good except for the bosses being difficult. I’m not a fan of difficult bosses in games, that’s why I’ve given up on FromSoftware games. I like bosses to be a moderate challenge, not frustratingly difficult to where they impede my progress and make me stop having fun.

The fight never got frustrating and it's not THAT difficult. There are a few difficulty options to toggle with. You will be fine.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Base PS4 version runs and looks great. So you will be good to go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Graphics are the least important part anyway. Ill take 1080p60 over 4k30 every time.

Well we are talking about ps4 only. It only runs at 1440p/30 on my pro. The base will have lower resolution than that. But, the video shows that the base sticks to 30fps consistently.