~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Good shit:

ilGILlz.png

Everyone in my province can get their first shot by May 20. All second shots will be done by mid-July. 

1IPYeA7.jpg

As a whole, Canada is now doing very well, and should match the US for one-dose administration in mid-summer, and then second doses by late summer (if not earlier). Hopefully our low hesitancy will keep up, and we'll get to 80%+.

I can’t find it now, but I read an article that said more or less that opening the vaccine patents is a half measure that will do nearly nothing because no other countries are set up to manufacture these mRNA vaccines and it would likely take a year+ to get any product to market.

The actual solution in their mind is for wealthy nations to continue ordering more vaccine and then selling at cost or maybe even subsidized to the developing world while waiting for countries (India specifically) to bring up facilities that can manufacture these things.

Thought it was interesting

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

ilGILlz.png

I'm not really sure what the point is on not just opening it up immediately to 12+? Or something like 22+ May 8, 12+ May 20. Just seems goofy to just have only a couple of days between these three-year increments. I know the point of staggering is to let people get their shots before the next group becomes eligible but the pace of this staggering seems weird.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The actual solution in their mind is for wealthy nations to continue ordering more vaccine and then selling at cost or maybe even subsidized to the developing world while waiting for countries (India specifically) to bring up facilities that can manufacture these things.

If wishes were ponies…

• Haha 1

Excess deaths study puts U.S. death count at over 900,000.

Entirely predictable.

The end result of the study is that essentially all the excess deaths over the pandemic period are attributed to COVID-19. That’s because increases in some areas, like patients reluctant to seek treatment, were more than offset by decreases in deaths from things like travel and flu.

The study suggests that far from attributing too many deaths to COVID-19, almost every nation has badly underreported the truth. For the most part, this hasn’t been intentional. COVID-19 patients display a large number of symptoms, and deaths from pulmonary symptoms are only a segment of a much larger span of loss. It doesn’t take skullduggery to account for the massive undercount—though the U.S. is far from alone in having reasons why local medical examiners or state officials might be encouraged to write anything other than “COVID-19” when filling in the critical block on a death certificate.

More than a century later, researchers are still arguing about the actual number of people who died from the 1918-1919 flu epidemic. A hundred years from now, they’ll likely be having the same arguments about COVID-19.

You would think we would perform better in the modern era, but it's interesting to note that the range for Spanish Flu numbers are similar to ours. About a 350,000 difference between the low end and high end estimations. 500k-850k.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not really sure what the point is on not just opening it up immediately to 12+? Or something like 22+ May 8, 12+ May 20. Just seems goofy to just have only a couple of days between these three-year increments. I know the point of staggering is to let people get their shots before the next group becomes eligible but the pace of this staggering seems weird.

To allow people in those age ranges to book times. It's still going to take until mid-June to get everyone their first dose.

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I can’t find it now, but I read an article that said more or less that opening the vaccine patents is a half measure that will do nearly nothing because no other countries are set up to manufacture these mRNA vaccines and it would likely take a year+ to get any product to market.

Thought it was interesting

This is true. And it will take time for technology and information transfer. Which is why this should have been done months ago so we could do an all of the above strategy

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Good shit:

ilGILlz.png

Everyone in my province can get their first shot by May 20. All second shots will be done by mid-July. 

1IPYeA7.jpg

As a whole, Canada is now doing very well, and should match the US for one-dose administration in mid-summer, and then second doses by late summer (if not earlier). Hopefully our low hesitancy will keep up, and we'll get to 80%+.

I assume you are calling September late summer?  When Fortin was asked yesterday, he was cagey on whether he thought "every adult who wants one" would be able to get their second shot by the end of September.

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I assume you are calling September late summer?  When Fortin was asked yesterday, he was cagey on whether he thought "every adult who wants one" would be able to get their second shot by the end of September.

Canada's supply is enough to get all 18+ a second dose by the end of July:

Saskatchewan's schedule further cements this. Anyone who wants one will have their second dose by the end of July. Hopefully that's 80%+ of the pop:

cp-vaccine-e1616420682147.jpeg
WWW.CJME.COM

Saskatchewan is preparing for Round 2 of its vaccination fight against COVID-19. On Thursday, the provincial g...

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

access would seem to me to be the biggest issue that would keep us from herd immunity

Access is a huge issue. I think this is an area where FEMA could do some great work. 

In this poll, 34% have not had a shot yet and 20% with one dose only and 46% with two doses. Seems like the number of those with at least one shot is high based on what we know from cdc data on the number of adults with at least one shot (~57%) but if this number is anywhere close to being right on those who haven't had a shot, it could be good news for reaching herd immunity

01VIRUS-HERDIMMUNITY1-videoSixteenByNine
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Widely circulating coronavirus variants and persistent hesitancy about vaccines will keep the goal out of reach. The virus is here to stay, but vaccinating the most vulnerable may be enough to restore normalcy.

map-1050.png

The text is in the article. This is the estimated share of adults who would “definitely” or “probably” get the vaccine or who already report being vaccinated (darker purple = more).

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canada's supply is enough to get all 18+ a second dose by the end of July:

Saskatchewan's schedule further cements this. Anyone who wants one will have their second dose by the end of July. Hopefully that's 80%+ of the pop:

cp-vaccine-e1616420682147.jpeg
WWW.CJME.COM

Saskatchewan is preparing for Round 2 of its vaccination fight against COVID-19. On Thursday, the provincial g...

That's not what I see in Ontario.

With deliveries expanding, Canada on track to offer doses to all, even those newly eligible: Fortin

The military general leading the logistics of Canada’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout says that even with the number of Canadians who are now eligible to be immunized expanding, the country is expecting to have enough doses arriving to offer vaccines to everyone who wants them in the months ahead.

The federal government’s target before Canadians ages 12 to 15 were given the green light from Health Canada to receive Pfizer-BioNTech shots, was to have all willing and eligible Canadians fully vaccinated by the end of September.

While Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin indicated on Thursday that there shouldn’t be any issue in giving all eligible Canadians their first shots by the summer, he didn’t outright confirm that everyone will have the second shot by the end of September, though the long-term delivery outlook indicates it’s doable.

I had my first dose about 3 weeks ago, and my second dose has been scheduled for August 18th.  Not sure what is happening in Saskatchewan, but Ontarians are not getting their second dose that quick.

It's amazing that in Canada we have moved to comparing ourselves to how many citizens we have "partially" vaccinated to other countries.  We have decided to delay the second dose by four months -- the appropriate comparison is how many people we have fully vaccinated.  And we are woefully behind.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's amazing that in Canada we have moved to comparing ourselves to how many citizens we have "partially" vaccinated to other countries.  We have decided to delay the second dose by four months -- the appropriate comparison is how many people we have fully vaccinated.  And we are woefully behind.

True, it's a different comparison, but having 80% with one dose is far better than 40 or 50% with two doses.

7 hours ago, Nokra said:

Had my 2nd dose of Pfizer on Monday and had no side effects. :sun:

Moderna here but no effects except a mild fever (99.2) and a bit of a sore arm that day. I'm honestly stunned because I had a slightly longer fever the first dose and thought the second was gonna kick my ass.

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

True, it's a different comparison, but having 80% with one dose is far better than 40 or 50% with two doses.

Maybe. 

5 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'm all for it....assuming there is a reliable way to check. Right now the card in the US can be faked easily. 

The vaccine passports that are being proposed are not the same thing as a vaccine card, and should be much harder to fake.

You guys are pants on head crazy if you think a vaccine passport would work in America.  Even if you were successful in implementing such a system, the backlash would be big enough to cause the Democrats to lose bigger (they are already going to big) in 2022.  

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

You guys are pants on head crazy if you think a vaccine passport would work in America.  Even if you were successful in implementing such a system, the backlash would be big enough to cause the Democrats to lose bigger (they are already going to big) in 2022.  

It wouldn't work here but not for the reasons you listed.

Come midterms the US probably won't be concerned about covid anymore anyway

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It wouldn't work here but not for the reasons you listed.

Come midterms the US probably won't be concerned about covid anymore anyway

The US will be largely unconcerned with Covid by mid-summer :p