~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

We are still in March and the majority of my family, including myself, have been fully vaccinated already. We were all thinking June or July would likely be our timeframe. Not sure who we should specifically thank for these efforts, but kudos to whoever deserves it. 

38 minutes ago, Comet said:

We are still in March and the majority of my family, including myself, have been fully vaccinated already. We were all thinking June or July would likely be our timeframe. Not sure who we should specifically thank for these efforts, but kudos to whoever deserves it. 

Donald Trump GIF

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Comet said:

Animated GIF

Um

Workers at a Baltimore plant manufacturing two coronavirus vaccines accidentally conflated the vaccines’ ingredients several weeks ago, ruining about 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine and forcing regulators to delay authorization of the plant’s production lines.

The plant is run by Emergent BioSolutions, a manufacturing partner to both Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca. Federal officials attributed the mistake to human error.

The mixup has halted future shipments of Johnson & Johnson doses in the United States while the Food and Drug Administration investigates. Johnson & Johnson has moved to strengthen its control over Emergent BioSolutions’ work to avoid further quality lapses.

The mistake is a major embarrassment for Johnson & Johnson, whose one-dose vaccine has been credited with speeding up the national immunization program.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My city is the worst-hit spot in North America for B.1.1.7, with near-full lockdowns and still-rising cases, and I take possession of my house in two weeks and will need to have movers inside, people to hook up utilities, etc.

ross-im-fine-gif-6.gif

Is it warm enough to have open windows?

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Is it warm enough to have open windows?

Yeah it will probably be between 5 and 15C at that time (41 and 59F), so we can keep the windows open while anyone else is inside, and we can wait outside or in the car. We take possession on the 16th, and that day we'll have a locksmith, internet tech, and blinds guy over (staggered). Then, 3 days later, the movers will move all our stuff. We won't be present except to open the door to both places. Same thing, windows open, etc, and we'll be outside and away from them. 

I know that we're learning more and more that it's hard to catch COVID-19 from surfaces (though we're going to do a cleaning anyway, since it's a new place), but how long is it thought to stay circulating in the air? Like, if we leave the house alone (with open windows) for an hour or two, I assume we'd be fine to go back inside without masks? We have an air exchange as well which we'll keep running.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah it will probably be between 5 and 15C at that time (41 and 59F), so we can keep the windows open while anyone else is inside, and we can wait outside or in the car. We take possession on the 16th, and that day we'll have a locksmith, internet tech, and blinds guy over (staggered). Then, 3 days later, the movers will move all our stuff. We won't be present except to open the door to both places. Same thing, windows open, etc, and we'll be outside and away from them. 

I know that we're learning more and more that it's hard to catch COVID-19 from surfaces (though we're going to do a cleaning anyway, since it's a new place), but how long is it thought to stay circulating in the air? Like, if we leave the house alone (with open windows) for an hour or two, I assume we'd be fine to go back inside without masks? We have an air exchange as well which we'll keep running.

Having a good exchange of air is key. Recirculating air even with open windows isn't as effective but might be ok, I don't know for certain. Forced air movement might be the safest bet, and let's me do some math.

Start with the assumption that home air is a closed system. No windows open and the particulates will slowly dissipate or land on surfaces. Open the windows and dissipation will probably occur faster, and if you have a cross breeze maybe even faster still. Add in forced air into the closed system (with common and inexpensive box fans) and it is significantly faster still.

Now say you have a 2000 sqft home with 10ft ceilings (20,000ft^3 home volume). A standard box fan can conservatively move 2000 ft^3/minute (usually more, but the math is easier with this assumption). Assuming perfect air mixing inside the home due to recirculating air, it would take 4 fans 5 minutes to fully exchange the volume of air inside. An hour with this setup could fully exchange the volume of air 12 times. Now this doesn't mean that it would or would not remove all/enough virus particles due to a multitude of factors and several other assumptions but it just gives you an idea of what is possible with forced air. For all I know 1 air volume exchange could eliminate 99% of all airborne particles, and waiting for 3-4 cycles (15-20 minutes) to compensate for assumptions and other losses or inefficiencies or other things could be enough! I just don't know.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Consider buying an ozone generator.  You wouldn't want to be in the house while it is running, but it should help reduce the likelihood of viruses sticking around in the air or on surfaces.  

Ozone was effective at killing SARS (a coronavirus variant), so it's likely effective against COVID19.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

This is the first data I’ve seen on how long the vaccine protects for

1 hour ago, Pikachu said:

6 mos. huh? I guess we need to start planning for shots in the fall.

The title they should have gone with is "So far, 90% of everyone who received the shot is still immune." At least, in this case, means from the first doses were given until now. So this is great news.

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Having a good exchange of air is key. Recirculating air even with open windows isn't as effective but might be ok, I don't know for certain. Forced air movement might be the safest bet, and let's me do some math.

Start with the assumption that home air is a closed system. No windows open and the particulates will slowly dissipate or land on surfaces. Open the windows and dissipation will probably occur faster, and if you have a cross breeze maybe even faster still. Add in forced air into the closed system (with common and inexpensive box fans) and it is significantly faster still.

Now say you have a 2000 sqft home with 10ft ceilings (20,000ft^3 home volume). A standard box fan can conservatively move 2000 ft^3/minute (usually more, but the math is easier with this assumption). Assuming perfect air mixing inside the home due to recirculating air, it would take 4 fans 5 minutes to fully exchange the volume of air inside. An hour with this setup could fully exchange the volume of air 12 times. Now this doesn't mean that it would or would not remove all/enough virus particles due to a multitude of factors and several other assumptions but it just gives you an idea of what is possible with forced air. For all I know 1 air volume exchange could eliminate 99% of all airborne particles, and waiting for 3-4 cycles (15-20 minutes) to compensate for assumptions and other losses or inefficiencies or other things could be enough! I just don't know.

I'll have to see about getting a box fan or two. The main floor (one-storey w/basement home) is about 1,060 sqft, and has windows on all sides that can open. There are a bunch of ceiling fans, too, but I don't think those would make a difference. I'll keep the windows open and the air exchange in the furnace running the whole time people are inside, and then we'll likely give it an hour or two afterward before we go back in without masks.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
image?q=85&c=sc&rect=16%2C27%2C1488%2C76
PEOPLE.COM

Sarah Palin has tested positive for COVID-19, and she's urging others to continue taking the pandemic seriously

This clown has had the opportunity to get the vaccine for some time now and she still contracted the virus.