~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

16 minutes ago, chakoo said:

The focus is on trying to keep people from standing around in groups outside socializing. If it was just called physical distancing then idiots would say it's fine to still hold gatherings as long as some space is kept between people.

I guess, but with the term social distancing there's an implication like cutting oneself off from all social relationships is encouraged as well, which sounds weirder to me.  There might be a reason for it having that implication I suppose, but not completely sure.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

3zyiuu.jpg

Y'know, ridicule aside, when all of this hopefully blows over we might have a social dilemma going on with all the salt-of-the-earth folks who felt an urge to rise up in these times. What society should do with them and to what extent they're responsible for their poor life choices and backwardness I might not be qualified to judge, but honestly they are in my thoughts and prayers, and as unethical as it may or may not sound I'm rooting for them if noone else to obtain jobs including the ones they're worried about losing  :sun:

13 minutes ago, Eggman76 said:

I guess, but with the term social distancing there's an implication like cutting oneself off from all social relationships is encouraged as well, which sounds weirder to me.  There might be a reason for it having that implication I suppose, but not completely sure.

I dunno about where you live but here on the radio they are constantly running ads of reassurance that say something along the lines of social distancing doesn't mean isolation, and you should still talk to your friends and family.

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno about where you live but here on the radio they are constantly running ads of reassurance that say something along the lines of social distancing doesn't mean isolation, and you should still talk to your friends and family.

Well shucks, I guess it does make sense when you put it that way.  Socializing from a distance is right there in the phrase. It still sounds a bit weird due to the context it's been used sometimes, but maybe that's just a local issue here.

18 minutes ago, Eggman76 said:

Y'know, ridicule aside, when all of this hopefully blows over we might have a social dilemma going on with all the salt-of-the-earth folks who felt an urge to rise up in these times. What society should do with them and to what extent they're responsible for their poor life choices and backwardness I might not be qualified to judge, but honestly they are in my thoughts and prayers, and as unethical as it may or may not sound I'm rooting for them to obtain jobs including the ones they're worried about losing  :sun:

These dumbasses aren't worried about losing their jobs, and if they were honestly worried about being short on their mortgage they should perhaps sell their 3k worth of tacticool bullshit instead of marching it into city hall.  They want other people to work so they can get ice cream or a haircut or some shit.

These are people with weapons who, when given the opportunity to flex them, choose to demand that others get sick and die so they can resume a more normal life instead of perhaps demanding the government assist them more so they can weather the pause.

14 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

These dumbasses aren't worried about losing their jobs, and if they were honestly worried about being short on their mortgage they should perhaps sell their 3k worth of tacticool bullshit instead of marching it into city hall.  They want other people to work so they can get ice cream or a haircut or some shit.

These are people with weapons who, when given the opportunity to flex them, choose to demand that others get sick and die so they can resume a more normal life instead of perhaps demanding the government assist them more so they can weather the pause.

To be fair, they probably spent the first couple days of stay at home orders trying to choke down the contents of their Bakker buckets and decided, "Fuck it, anything's better than that".

It's easy to judge others harshly when you've never tasted what Jim Bakker thinks spicy Mexican food that is sold by the pound tastes like.

2 hours ago, Eggman76 said:

Is there a legit reason why everyone keeps saying social distancing instead of physical distancing when talking about the Covid pandemic?  

I don't have an answer, but my beef with social distancing is the 6ft rule. The few stores I go to the lines are fucking ridiculously long because people are standing 12-15ft apart. People can't measure for shit. At the grocery store, they stand there with their cart extended out from their body plus another 6ft of empty space in front of that. 

On 5/3/2020 at 8:45 PM, LazyPiranha said:

Most of these folks are literally protesting for everyone to keep their jobs right now. While requests that everyone go to work might be a tad much, who are you to deny them work if they want it? If they want to have jobs before, after, or even during the pandemic, why shouldn't they be allowed to at least vent about it?

Now maybe for whatever reason not everyone's qualified for every job out there, I get that, whatever, but critiquing them for having an unearned bossy mentality? I dunno, not sure if that's true about all of them or not.  Maybe it's a bit classist and reductive towards them to assume bad faith idk, I will take responsibility for that insensitive misrepresentation if so.  

But to say they should be denied respect for wanting to work under any circumstance?  That IS going too far.   I've had the privilege of growing up around multiple friends and family with health conditions that made doing manual labor, not even as a career, but as a lifestyle and fun way to pass the time, extremely harmful to their physical health.  One person had a condition where it felt like they were walking on knives after standing for a certain amount of time.  But you know what?  They didn't give up and learn another trade or get some sissy desk job.  They busted their ass day after fucking day.  Not because they had to, but because they wanted to. And there's honor in that.  Always.

What the fuck have you done?  You're saying someone like that hasn't earned respect and dignity?  That work ethic alone isn't reason enough to look up to someone?  Not to out you or anything, but are you a fucking pedophile? Is your existence inherently a social problem that makes employment difficult and unethical (not that that's any excuse. It's a proven fact that it's much easier for pedophiles to live fulfilling lives then they or their sympathizers would suggest)?  Why are you so against having a job and being a part of society?  

• Guillotine 1

Ugh, sorry if I'm coming off as stern, this topic gets me really worked up is all.  To finish my point, yeah, forcing everyone to go to work, especially during a national pandemic is a bit messed up or whatever, but acting like it's not almost as unjust to make someone with the brass to get out there and get shit done, whether there's a reason to or not...to disallow them of relishing in the freedom to do that and always being respected for it...!?  I'm sorry, but that's just unamerican, sir, and you better believe you'll be taken to task for such a backwards take. 

I for one hope these folks can find the jobs they seek.  I get that not everyone has their parents pay for their college to show up to a few classes and get handed a degree in four years, and the amount of misinformation causing a lot of these rights to jobs protesters to make poor life decisions is tragic and unavoidable to some extent.  Whether it's working construction, sewer treatment, plumbing, food industry, appliance installation, waste management, whatever...if these folks want to do labor that badly, they deserve those jobs.  Who are you or anyone else to judge or critique them for that?  

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

To be fair, they probably spent the first couple days of stay at home orders trying to choke down the contents of their Bakker buckets and decided, "Fuck it, anything's better than that".

It's easy to judge others harshly when you've never tasted what Jim Bakker thinks spicy Mexican food that is sold by the pound tastes like.

I consider myself fortunate because I don't know what that is

• Haha 1

I cant form a strong opinion either way for protesters. I understand both sides and I don't have a good answer. There are hundreds of small business owners in my area that might not have received any income since the middle of March(other than the stimulus that went out). Unemployment wasn't set up for small businesses owners in PA until April 17th.  You have to submit digital copies of your tax return or 1099 forms during the application process. A lot of people don't have these off hand. When you do get through the application it said it may take 20 days to determine your eligibility. While I would never go protest with these people, it's not hard to understand why some of them are losing their minds. 

20 minutes ago, Eggman76 said:

Most of these folks are literally protesting for everyone to keep their jobs right now. While requests that everyone go to work might be a tad overdoing it, who are you to deny them work if they want it? If they want to have jobs during the pandemic, why shouldn't they be allowed to at least vent about it?

Now maybe for whatever reason not everyone's qualified for every job out there, I get that, whatever, but critiquing them for having an unearned bossy mentality? I dunno, not sure if that's true about all of them or not.  Maybe it's a bit classist and reductive towards them to assume bad faith idk, I will take responsibility for that insensitive misrepresentation if so.  

But to say they should be denied respect for wanting to work under any circumstance?  That IS going too far.   I once had the privilege of knowing multiple people with health conditions that made doing manual labor, not even as a career, but as a lifestyle and fun way to pass the time, extremely harmful to their physical health.  One person had a condition where it felt like they were walking on knives after standing for a certain amount of time.  But you know what?  They didn't cave in and learn another trade, they didn't get some sissy desk job.  They busted their ass day after fucking day.  Not because they had to, but because they wanted to. And there's honor in that.  Always.

What the fuck have you done?  You're saying someone like that hasn't earned respect and dignity?  That work ethic alone isn't reason enough to look up to someone?  Not to out you or anything, but are you a fucking pedophile? Is your existence inherently a social problem that makes employment difficult and unethical?  Why are you so against having a job and being a part of society?  

Why would you jump to calling someone a pedophile?

Also, no one is saying that wanting to work is bad...we all want to work. But wanting to work during a pandemic when it will risk (and kill) other people, and not even acknowledging or believe it is a risk...that doesn't deserve respect.

17 minutes ago, Eggman76 said:

Ugh, sorry if I'm coming off as stern, this topic gets me really worked up is all.  I'll concede again that forcing everyone to go to work, especially during a national pandemic is a bit messed up or whatever, but acting like it's not almost as unjust to make someone with the brass to get out there and get shit done, whether there's a reason to or not...to disallow them of relishing in the freedom to do that and gain respect for it...!?  I'm sorry, but that's just unamerican, sir, and you better believe you'll be taken to task for such a backwards take. 

I for one hope these folks can find the jobs they seek.  I get that not everyone has their parents pay for their college to show up to a few classes and get handed a degree in four years, and the amount of misinformation causing a lot of these rights to jobs protesters to make poor life decisions is tragic and unavoidable to some extent.  But whether it's working construction, sewer treatment, plumbing, food industry, appliance installation, waste management, whatever...if these folks want to do labor that badly I say they deserve their jobs.  Who are you or anyone else to judge or critique them for that?  

Again, most people aren't saying they don't deserve jobs, only that they shouldn't be respected for risking everyone's lives due to their own ignorance and brainwashing.

If anyone is to blame, it is the US government for not passing a program to pay everyone who is out of work so that you don't have people having to choose between money and possible death.

4 minutes ago, mrbiggsly said:

I consider myself fortunate because I don't know what that is

Jim Bakker is a famed televangelist scam artist with a career going back to at least the 80's. You may know him from his wife, Tammy Fae Bakker who was known for looking like she applied her make-up with a butter knife.

Anyway, ol Jimmy was so crooked that he managed to get himself arrested for fraud of some kind and would have spent many years in prison if not for a technicality.

After avoiding prison, Bakker never really regained the fame he once had, so has long subsisted on the ignorance of the internet masses  Lucky for him, the intersection of fundamentalist Christians and crazy survivalist preppers has only grown in recent years. So, among other quality products, he sells Bakker buckets. Food by the pound that works for the modern survivalist on the go. Whether you're hiding from the scorpion locusts of the apocalypse or waiting out Barrack's presidency.

I believe he proudly advertises that said buckets can also double as feces storage when you are finished with it(or just want to restock, I doubt it would effect the taste).

36 minutes ago, Eggman76 said:

Most of these folks are literally protesting for everyone to keep their jobs right now. While requests that everyone go to work might be a tad much, who are you to deny them work if they want it? If they want to have jobs before, after, or even during the pandemic, why shouldn't they be allowed to at least vent about it?

But to say they should be denied respect for wanting to work under any circumstance?  That IS going too far.   I've had the privilege of growing up around multiple friends and family with health conditions that made doing manual labor, not even as a career, but as a lifestyle and fun way to pass the time, extremely harmful to their physical health.  One person had a condition where it felt like they were walking on knives after standing for a certain amount of time.  But you know what?  They didn't cave in and learn another trade, they didn't get some sissy desk job.  They busted their ass day after fucking day.  Not because they had to, but because they wanted to. And there's honor in that.  Always.

What the fuck have you done?  You're saying someone like that hasn't earned respect and dignity?  That work ethic alone isn't reason enough to look up to someone?  Not to out you or anything, but are you a fucking pedophile? Is your existence inherently a social problem that makes employment difficult and unethical?  Why are you so against having a job and being a part of society?  

They want a job? Lots of essential places are hiring.

Many of these people are just astroturfed in there by the same rich fucks who say that opening the economy is worth risking lives....as long as it's not theirs.

And others are just eternally aggrieved partisans that are the habitual rightwing malcontents that are the libertarian equivilent of the one guy at every rally holding up a " legalize pot" sign.

If you want proof of that, look no further than the AR-15s and Confederate flags. What the fuck do those things have to do with wanting jobs or wanting to open back up? You know what they have to do with? Professionally Aggrieved rightwingers who are pissed that a Democrat who is a woman is running their state.

Just now, Chairslinger said:

Many of these people are just astroturfed in there by the same rich fucks who say that opening the economy is worth risking lives....as long as it's not theirs.

And others are just eternally aggrieved partisans that are the habitual rightwing malcontents that are the libertarian equivilent of the one guy at every rally holding up a " legalize pot" sign.

If you want proof of that, look no further than the AR-15s and Confederate flags. What the fuck do those things have to do with wanting jobs or wanting to open back up? You know what they have to do with? Professionally Aggrieved rightwingers who are pissed that a Democrat who is a woman is running their state.

Like I said, fat losers with tiny dicks who never pleasured a woman.

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I don't have an answer, but my beef with social distancing is the 6ft rule. The few stores I go to the lines are fucking ridiculously long because people are standing 12-15ft apart. People can't measure for shit. At the grocery store, they stand there with their cart extended out from their body plus another 6ft of empty space in front of that. 

Better to be longer than shorter.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:26 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Why would you jump to calling someone a pedophile?

Also, no one is saying that wanting to work is bad...we all want to work. But wanting to work during a pandemic when it will risk (and kill) other people, and not even acknowledging or believe it is a risk...that doesn't deserve respect.

Again, most people aren't saying they don't deserve jobs, only that they shouldn't be respected for risking everyone's lives due to their own ignorance and brainwashing.

If anyone is to blame, it is the US government for not passing a program to pay everyone who is out of work so that you don't have people having to choose between money and possible death.

Maybe nobody I quoted ITT is as bad as a pedophile. Then again, who is?  Apologies if it was a mischaracterization. 

And at risk of sounding a bit culturally insensitive to some protesters, maybe those are fair points.  There's lots of talk going on rn in this country about lack of education which unfairly leads to hardships for workers, so maybe there's some truth to that, but I guess it's also true that nobody has an excuse to be willfully ignorant or avoid paying consequences for unjust behavior in the age of information and stuff.  So putting innocent lives in danger for no reason, even w/ relatable motives like wanting respect jusr for working hard....I guess it makes sense that shouldn't be accepted by everyone. I realize that now, and apologize for any prejudices towards them and you.

Still, regardless how much anyone disagrees with those sillywilly ideals and behaviors, almost anyone protesting to work in the time of coronavirus pr whenever still deserves thoughts and prayers if they want them, from anyone offering them, and I think they should be allowed their jobs as well once it's ok for them to start working again <3.  

On 5/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, MarSolo said:

And if they don’t want jobs? Sell those fucking guns that compensate for the fact that they have tiny dicks and never gave a woman an orgasm.

An understandable point as well, depending on your perspective.  It might be possible you/them/whoever can get to connect with like minds that also sympathize w/ the notion that being straight and whatever else, endowed or not,fat or fit,  is inherently a measure of good character.  I agree that you should get to shoot the breeze with and work with them whenever you want.  :sun:

59 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

They already did that. $600/week plus whatever your state pays out.

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

The grocery stores out here have guides on the ground indicating where to stand to maintain the 6ft apart distance. It's been pretty orderly in fact.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The grocery stores out here have guides on the ground indicating where to stand to maintain the 6ft apart distance. It's been pretty orderly in fact.

Yep the have guides but when I go there's never any line. :p

Ah here, I got an Email that said they are going to do free drive thru covid-19 tests

https://www.ralphs.com/i/coronavirus-update

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200414/cdc-covid-19-can-spread-13-feet-travel-on-shoes

The novel coronavirus can travel 13 feet through the air and be carried around on people’s shoes, according to a new report from the CDC.

The airborne distance is more than twice the recommended social distancing guidelines to stay 6 feet away from others. The new research, published in the agency’s Emerging Infectious Diseases journal, may help to explain how the virus is being spread.

https://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/rheinland/corona-ergebnis-studie-heinsberg-100.html

Study of German epicentre of infections has released their data.

• Tested 900 people from 400 households
  • Used antibody test which they claim is 99% accurate
  • 15% were infected
  • Mortality rate was 0.37%
  • Loss of smell and taste was most common symptom
  • 20% of infected were completely asymptomatic
  • Infection rate was same throughout age groups (including children)

If true, then it shows that children are equally capable of being carriers as adults, and the mortality rate is on the fairly low end of predictions (but still higher than flu)

EDIT - English link: https://www.ukbonn.de/C12582D3002FD21D/vwLookupDownloads/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf/%24FILE/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf

And note on the high infection rate, and why it shouldn't be applied to everywhere:

"It is important to note that the infection rate in Gangelt is not representative for other regions in Germany or other countries. However, with the limitations discussed above, the IFR calculated here remains a useful metric for other regions with higher or lower infection rates. If in a theoretical model the here calculated IFR is applied to Germany with currently approximately 6,575 SARS-CoV-2 associated deaths (May 2nd, 2020, RKI), the estimated number of infected in Germany would be higher than 1.8 Mio (i.e. 2.2% of the German population). It will be very important to determine the true average IFR for Germany. "

So this area studied has been hit incredibly hard, but based on the mortality rate there, other areas' case counts can be extrapolated from the death counts. They anticipate around 2.2% of Germany is infected based on this.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/rheinland/corona-ergebnis-studie-heinsberg-100.html

Study of German epicentre of infections has released their data.

• Tested 900 people from 400 households
  • Used antibody test which they claim is 99% accurate
  • 15% were infected
  • Mortality rate was 0.37%
  • Loss of smell and taste was most common symptom
  • 20% of infected were completely asymptomatic
  • Infection rate was same throughout age groups (including children)

If true, then it shows that children are equally capable of being carriers as adults, and the mortality rate is on the fairly low end of predictions (but still higher than flu)

I follow a facebook page from the little town I moved from last year, and there are quite a few people now parroting the rumor that children cannot spread COVID.  One of my wife's good friends thinks this, and that they should reopen the schools because of this. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I follow a facebook page from the little town I moved from last year, and there are quite a few people now parroting the rumor that children cannot spread COVID.  One of my wife's good friends thinks this, and that they should reopen the schools because of this. 

I think this is the second random antibody study that shows that children are capable of carrying the virus and being infected (the other was in the UK, I think). If someone can be infected, there is no good reason to suspect that cannot spread it, since spreading the virus only requires coughing and shedding it from your throat/lungs.

4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Gun owners are a blight on our society. 

I think it's fine when gun owners protest with their guns when their protest is related to guns - for instance the recent protests in Virginia against new gun laws.

I think they look ridiculous and hurt their position when they protest with guns because Chilis is closed.  

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I didn’t think there was ever a doubt children were carriers. I thought the assumption/early data was that children were less likely to die from it. 

• Thanks 1