~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

How communist.

Smart and Final, Lowes, and Home Depot all had self imposed rationing in place for toilet paper, water, and sanitizer.  Now they were all out of toilet paper and sanitizer at 6 am this morning, but at least they are responding as best they can.  

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

FWIW, I went to 4 different stores this morning looking for toilet paper.  Everyone was completely sold out.  I was able to pick up water and paper towels however.  And at Walmart, I bout 8 boxes (2 cases of 4 each) kleenex for $14 out the door - which is overpriced under normal circumstances, but completely fair.

Honestly, businesses need to really increase the prices of these items that are becoming scarce, and institute reasonable rationing.  Doing neither will lead to violence eventually.

When you go to the store, go to use their bathroom and walk out with free toilet paper.

You did it wrong man!

9 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Smart and Final, Lowes, and Home Depot all had self imposed rationing in place for toilet paper, water, and sanitizer.  Now they were all out of toilet paper and sanitizer at 6 am this morning, but at least they are responding as best they can.  

Rationing is fine and correct. But raising prices is fucked up.

Just now, Jose said:

Rationing is fine and correct. But raising prices is fucked up.

Disagree.  Both are appropriate measures during a shortage.  I'm not arguing that there should be price gouging going on, but a doubline of the price of toilet paper is appropriate to dissuade hoarding. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

They're going to do a second test.

It’s not conspiracy or conjecture at this point to have real concerns whether or not our president is infected.

On the flip, he’s burned all public trust. I have zero doubt that if he was positive, his entire administration would lie about it.

Hell, this presidency has taught me that whatever the worst possible outcome, that will happen.

That said, Trump has COVID-19. In the coming days, outlets like NYT and WaPo will discover this and report. Then the Trump admin will decry the fake news media.

Just now, osxmatt said:

It’s not conspiracy or conjecture at this point to have real concerns whether or not our president is infected.

On the flip, he’s burned all public trust. I have zero doubt that if he was positive, his entire administration would lie about it.

Hell, this presidency has taught me that whatever the worst possible outcome, that will happen.

That said, Trump has COVID-19. In the coming days, outlets like NYT and WaPo will discover this and report. Then the Trump admin will decry the fake news media.

Can't wait for the weekend at Bernie's efforts they will go to to hide it.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Disagree.  Both are appropriate measures during a shortage.  I'm not arguing that there should be price gouging going on, but a doubline of the price of toilet paper is appropriate to dissuade hoarding. 

Price increases won’t dissuade hoarding, they will just cause poorer people to have less access.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I wonder how he will abuse emergency powers. Let me guess, it allows for sole-source contracts to be issued?

EDIT - I am not saying the declaration will be a bad thing, only that I expect his admin to also abuse it somehow.

The CDC and NIH budgets will be moved to wall construction.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If I recall, you’re also a resident of Oregon, correct?

Oregon AG has been all over Twitter the past few days talking about price gouging and it’s illegality. Posting links and phone numbers to report any cases.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Well that makes sense because COVID-19 is heavy and does not stay airborne, so a 20-foot wall along the entire US border will be effective at keeping it out.

Also everyone knows COVID-19 is larger than the spacing between the steel slats.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

If I recall, you’re also a resident of Oregon, correct?

Oregon AG has been all over Twitter the past few days talking about price gouging and it’s illegality. Posting links and phone numbers to report any cases.

I live in Nevada now.

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Stores should be required to set limits on how much you can buy.  

My wife's school district here in Nevada currently has a couple of staff on doctor-directed quarantine. They are saying no positive tests, but one has to wonder if they have been tested at all. Being a rural area and whatnot, and considering that my local hospital is requiring anyone with flu-like symptoms to phone in and be checked out in a external building about a 1/4 mile from the hospital (not bad until you realize the town is only 1 sq. mile in size. 

Also NAS Fallon has 8 sailors in quarantine as of this morning. 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

@SaysWho?, was it you that booked a cruise to Alaska and BC? Government just announced that cruise ships containing over 500 people will not be allowed to dock in Canada until July 1, with possible extension of the date depending on how the pandemic goes.

Over 500 people on the ship?  That's what lifeboats are for. 

Canadian Parliament suspended, budget delayed over COVID-19.

This morning, all parties agreed to a motion adjourning the House of Commons until at least April 20. That suspension can be extended as needed. The measure effectively wipes two sitting weeks from the calendar, since MPs already had planned to be away next week and for another two weeks in April.

Parliament has passed Bill C-12, which legislates "Governor General Special Warrants." The warrants make it possible for the core operations of government to continue even though Parliament is not sitting and the normal supply process has been interrupted.

The opposition demanded, and the government accepted, that the auditor general "immediately conduct an audit of the special warrants" issued under the powers contained in Bill C-12 and report his findings to the Commons no later than June 1, 2021.

So the government has been given permission by all parties to continue core operations without a budget, but in exchange will be audited over the expenditures to make sure they are reasonable and necessary. Good all-party unity in this matter.

"What we're doing today shows how serious we're taking this and how we can collaborate," he said today in the foyer of the House, flanked by Conservative, Bloc and NDP MPs.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

At the grocery store now. Pasta, pasta sauce, beans and crackers are gone. 

You can buy all of the fresh fruits and vegetables you want though. Line looks like it is about 1.5 hours. The rush started yesterday 

A lot of fresh fruits and veggies you can freeze so that's good.