Playing through the "Sixth Generation" Grand Theft Auto games.

gamer.tv

This was something mentioned in a different thread, but I decided to bring my Playstation 2 from my parents house, back to mine. Along with MGS2, Onimusha 2 and Final Fantasy X, I also decided that I would bring back GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. 

Now, during that era of gaming, I predominantly played on my Gamecube and really only used my PS2 to watch DVD's. Due to that, I haven't ever finished the GTA games available on the console (I was on the last mission of Vice City at a point, but then my save was deleted) and I thought it might be worth trying to remedy that. Back in the Bad Cartridge days, I did a very similar thing with the MGS games and so I thought I would post a few thoughts and feelings whilst playing a very influential set of games, 15 - 20 years after their release. 

So far, I've had a crack at the first few missions of GTA3 and it's pleasantly confined, compared with the large (and mostly boring) open worlds of more modern games. It plays reasonably well, doesn't look awful and will apparently take me about 17 hours to complete.

5 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

GTA5 was the only one that held my interest long enough to finish.

agreed..

GTA3 had the best setting and “systems” but actual missions were still too dull or simplistic over the course of the game.. the missions in GTA V were all actually well devised (except Michaels family needed to die)

I never beat the PS2 ones; I just played until I either got stuck or I had played enough. And I used cheats the entire time, so my skills were lacking (and the worse gameplay didn't help). :p 

I beat 4 and 5, though, without any cheats (if there were any).

That's not to say I didn't love 3 and SA (never played VC for whatever reason); I just never felt like playing until the end.

I've really never been able to get into any of them. I always have a little fun messing around for a few hours, typically ending with me turning on cheats before I quit playing. I just find the stories to be tedious and generic, so to me it has never been a series about "finishing" the game so much as open-world shenanigans... of which there's surprisingly little to do most of the time. Like, they can make really big, really detailed worlds, but there's just so little you can actually do to make it feel fun. I remember prior to GTA V's launch, we got a trailer showing side activities like tennis, and one hopeful poster here talked about how this would basically be the ultimate GTA you could "live in forever." And while I guess some folks got that out of GTA Online and pouring endless money into shark cards, it was basically just another pretty open world game that I couldn't find anything to care about. And I've been trying to like these since the top-down ones.

At some point I should've figured out they're just not for me, but people freak the fuck out over them for so long pre and post launch I just keep hoping this is the one where I'll get that experience.

4 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I just hope that GTA6 is not set in Liberty City or San Andreas.  Really hope for a new location.  If they do Vice City, I suppose that would be OK since it's been a while.

I was able to obtain considerably more fun from Saints Row games, tbh.

Saints Row to me was what GTA always seemed like it was trying to be. Funny, over-the-top, and actually fun to play. I don't know how well they've aged, but I had a blast with 3 and 4, and am looking forward to the fixed PC port of 2 now that they found the source code.

The beginning of 3 when you break into a fucking bank for some reason despite the fact that you're using a helicopter to take the vault itself, and in the end it was your own bank. Wearing giant heads of your own faces. :lol:

9 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The beginning of 3 when you break into a fucking bank for some reason despite the fact that you're using a helicopter to take the vault itself, and in the end it was your own bank. Wearing giant heads of your own faces. :lol:

They were all Johnny Gat faces not heads with your own faces on them. Jeez!

So far I've completed about 13 missions and have only been pissed off maybe the 8 times playing them. Most missions are very straight forward (in GTA3) which does make the game easy to play through and the AI can work in your favour, however the one aspect of modern gaming that I miss continually is auto saving.