Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

27 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Finance a console? Get out of here with that nonsense. 

If you don’t have months/years of Game Pass stacked and are paying monthly for it, it’s actually cheaper to do the monthly payment for the XSX as opposed to buying it outright. If you have no interest in Game Pass or have a ton of months stacked already, it makes no sense to finance, of course.

5 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I'd rather just own something. God damn everything wants to be a subscription.

You do own it after the contract length, I assume. If it’s an eternal payment like a lease, it’s a bad deal.

5 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Fucking millennials. 

If you were born after 1981, I’m afraid I have some bad news...

• Haha 1

$299 is an aggressive price, but it’s an odd combination of A) there’s not a significant next gen game releasing this year and B) it seems to me early adopters are going to purchase the expensive one. 

I’m sure it’ll do fine, but it feels like a missed opportunity to really stick it to Sony at launch. 

I don’t think Sony is going to have the library at launch to appeal to the mainstream either, but that is kind of what I mean - MS could have really gotten off to a fast start, and sometimes that’s all it takes to become the it machine. 

54 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

$299 is an aggressive price, but it’s an odd combination of A) there’s not a significant next gen game releasing this year and B) it seems to me early adopters are going to purchase the expensive one. 

I’m sure it’ll do fine, but it feels like a missed opportunity to really stick it to Sony at launch. 

I don’t think Sony is going to have the library at launch to appeal to the mainstream either, but that is kind of what I mean - MS could have really gotten off to a fast start, and sometimes that’s all it takes to become the it machine. 

Spider Man isn’t main stream? What Main Stream title is MS launching with?

59 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Spider Man isn’t main stream? What Main Stream title is MS launching with?

It’s not that it’s not mainstream, it’s just not going to drive sales of the mainstream. A great halo title has that power. A Spider-Man spinoff game that they’ve already botched the messaging on absolutely does not. 

29 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s not that it’s not mainstream, it’s just not going to drive sales of the mainstream. A great halo title has that power. A Spider-Man spinoff game that they’ve already botched the messaging on absolutely does not. 

A great Spider-Man game should have that power as well.  Spider-Man 2018 outsold every Halo but 3.  And it's only a million behind its LTD by the last official count.

With Miles Morales, I don't think it will be nearly as big as the first game, by virtue of what it is and being released at launch.  But it's also not trying to resuscitate the brand back into relevance.  It should be a driver for early PS5 sales, and generate mainstream interest at the very least.

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

$299 seems awful high for a 4TF console.

It's using modern architecture, meaning by One X's standards its upwards of 6/7TF.  Has a more capable CPU than the PS5.  Storage is obviously smaller, but if you plug an external into it and transfer game's quickly to and from, that isn't that big of an issue. 

A One X and PS4 Pro today still MSRP for $400ish, so yeah, $300 is too expensive?

49 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

A great Spider-Man game should have that power as well.  Spider-Man 2018 outsold every Halo but 3.  And it's only a million behind its LTD by the last official count.

With Miles Morales, I don't think it will be nearly as big as the first game, by virtue of what it is and being released at launch.  But it's also not trying to resuscitate the brand back into relevance.  It should be a driver for early PS5 sales, and generate mainstream interest at the very least.

I disagree completely. I don’t think you can look at total sales like that - it also outsold Mario 64, but nobody is going to argue it would be anywhere close to the system seller that Mario 64 is.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I'm not sure what definition of mainstream wouldn't include Spider-Man. I think this one not being a "full game" might hinder its ability to be a system seller, but it's still a game based on one of the biggest multi-media IPs in the world, that's a sequel to what I believe is the 10th highest selling console game of this generation (or it's at least somewhere there-about).

I'd also argue that the messaging was only botched to the already plugged in crowd. Most people will just see a new Spider-man game sitting next to the PS5 and be excited.

Besides, most launch games are bad. I think it's safe to expect Spider-Man to be pretty good.

15 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I disagree completely. I don’t think you can look at total sales like that - it also outsold Mario 64, but nobody is going to argue it would be anywhere close to the system seller that Mario 64 is.

The bar for 'good launch game' has been spectacularly low for generations now.  A system seller launch title for either Sony and Microsoft's platforms don't have to be anything close to a Mario 64.  It just has to convince people to purchase sooner rather than later.  Spider-Man could be one of the best cases Sony makes in generations for the reasons that @TwinIon said above.

I was saying the same sort of things about Halo Infinite before it was delayed.  It had the potential to be an even bigger deal for Microsoft, until the demo happened.