"Shoot them in the hops," Scotch suggested for beer crossing Whiskey-Tequila border.

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, scotch hasn't been an art form or anything for those who are fans of it for decades, meaning there must be nothing to it. :p 

Oh I believe there's something and as you say that thing is transporting you to the dusky inner thigh of a 19th century Scottish bar wench. No thanks.

• Haha 1

I'm sensitive to alcohol as well and over the years I've been able to tolerate it more but the appeal of liquor is in the effect it has on your body. Anything else is just finding which alcohol you dislike the least or can hide the best. If you're averse to alcohol and don't care for the feeling then just don't bother and don't let anyone shit talk you over it. If they're super obnoxious about it just tell them you're allergic.

• Thanks 1

That explains it some. I don't just love beer, but on occasion, it hits the spot and I do like the feeling once in a while. I just couldn't ever force myself to consume something that literally makes my stomach spew out it's contents to get there. I never understood people who go on and on about how smooth this particular liquor is. It could be a $1000 bottle of fine scotch or Wild turkey from the corner store, it's all the same to me. I'm gonna gag either way. I just wondered if it's some acquired taste or people just have really strong willpower to make themselves drink the stuff. 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I wish I at least understood the appeal of liquor. It doesn't matter what it is, any time I've ever tried a sip, it literally makes me gag. A colleague once got me to try this expensive rum from the store her son manages and I nearly puked right there in the store. It's about on par with taking liquid clindamycin. 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That explains it some. I don't just love beer, but on occasion, it hits the spot and I do like the feeling once in a while. I just couldn't ever force myself to consume something that literally makes my stomach spew out it's contents to get there. I never understood people who go on and on about how smooth this particular liquor is. It could be a $1000 bottle of fine scotch or Wild turkey from the corner store, it's all the same to me. I'm gonna gag either way. I just wondered if it's some acquired taste or people just have really strong willpower to make themselves drink the stuff. 

In no way am I saying you need or should drink! Simply by way of explanation, alcohol objectively tastes disgusting, so you are absolutely right there. When I first had alcohol, it was shots and then beer at a fraternity party. I enjoyed the feeling it gave me but it felt like drinking gasoline.

It's like any acquired taste. It takes a lot of time and drinking for it to become "smooth". That doesn't mean you should force it and get there, but I did and found it worth it. Everyone's different though. But there's no question that objectively all alcohol is not naturally good tasting - we do it for how it makes us feel, like with a lot of things. :)

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

In no way am I saying you need or should drink! Simply by way of explanation, alcohol objectively tastes disgusting, so you are absolutely right there. When I first had alcohol, it was shots and then beer at a fraternity party. I enjoyed the feeling it gave me but it felt like drinking gasoline.

It's like any acquired taste. It takes a lot of time and drinking for it to become "smooth". That doesn't mean you should force it and get there, but I did and found it worth it. Everyone's different though. But there's no question that objectively all alcohol is not naturally good tasting - we do it for how it makes us feel, like with a lot of things. :)

Fair enough. I just dislike puking, so it's an easy pass for me. That is definitely not a good feeling for me. 

I just wondered if I've been missing something, like I lack a certain genetic trait that make the shit taste good, lol. 

There's a big difference between a mouthful of mixer grade spirit and a sip of something made for sipping. I don't like beer regardless of how I drink it but I can sip a good cask strength scotch (~60%) so evidently it's not the alcohol that's the problem :p

If you ever want to get fat for some reason, make milkshakes with cream liqueur :p 

14 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I'm sensitive to alcohol as well and over the years I've been able to tolerate it more but the appeal of liquor is in the effect it has on your body. Anything else is just finding which alcohol you dislike the least or can hide the best. If you're averse to alcohol and don't care for the feeling then just don't bother and don't let anyone shit talk you over it. If they're super obnoxious about it just tell them you're allergic.

Was at a pub crawl last night in Roppongi (solo), got picked for one of the games, was asked to bong a beer followed by two shots of Jack. Declined, picked a dude (shout out to Black Mike) just met to do it for me.

Through out the night a bunch of people came up to me for not succumbing to the crowd. Most of them were Aussie. Definitely different than normal. 

Also learned that men from England might be the most annoying drunks on the planet. Never have I been around “straight” guys that want to kiss or show there body off to other men. A few of us (all brown) came close to hitting this one guy in particular on multiple occasions for trying to cross the line.

12 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Fair enough. I just dislike puking, so it's an easy pass for me. That is definitely not a good feeling for me. 

I just wondered if I've been missing something, like I lack a certain genetic trait that make the shit taste good, lol. 

Genetics definitely plays a part. Even without though it can still take a while to really acquire the taste. You can actually take the observation that some drinks are "smooth" as a tacit admission that even to an experienced drinker, alcohol can still be harsh (especially cheaper stuff).

A good mixed drink can bring out the flavor of the alcohol while suppressing the bad stuff. It definitely can taste good but still I'm not ordering a drink because of the taste, I might choose my drink based on taste (I lean toward gin and tequila drinks) but taste isn't what's on my mind when I want a drink.

15 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It could be genetic as everyone has a variably negative response to when they are first drinking alcohol for awhile, so no worries, you are not weird! Alcohol can be a lot of fun (so can weed, which is what seems kids have moved on to, but alcohol still has its worth even though I love weed too) but it definitely takes practice, etc. as others have said here. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not saying I can’t be friends with you if you don’t like gin, but it will be hard for our relationship to go very deep if you don’t.

Random fun fact: Spain consumes more gin per capita than any other country in the world. G And T's are basically mandatory at any of my family's party before dinner.

Negronis are da bomb as well.

14 hours ago, Jose said:

Random fun fact: Spain consumes more gin per capita than any other country in the world. G And T's are basically mandatory at any of my family's party before dinner.

Negronis are da bomb as well.

Negronis are amazing. If gin is that popular in Spain then I need to go back there!