The 2019-20 Mock Gambling Thread - WEEK 1 - Better late than never!

Slug

So there I was.  Watching the Bears derp away a season opener at home against a hated division rival.  The game was awful, but it didn't matter: football was back and all was right in the world...mostly.  Something was missing.  The air was cool, my beverage was cooler.  Fans were booing crap play.  Colinsworth's commentary was garbage as usual.  This was football season.  Everything seemed like it was as it should be, but there was still this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that something was just..off.  A thought, dancing on the edges of my mind, just outside recollection.

As the game ended with...what's the opposite of a "bang"?  I shook the feeling off and went to bed.  Fast forward to this morning.  As I lay in that hazy, half in and half out of sleep state the precedes waking it hits me.  I sit bolt upright and loudly exclaim, "Holy shit I forgot to post the Mock Gambling Thread!"

My wife, startled awake, glares at me through angry, sleep-interrupted eyes and growls, "What the fuck is the Mock Gambling Thread?!"

"Well, honey, let me explain..."

The Mock Gambling Thread is a competition that is a part gambling, part predicting, and part forecasting contest. The competition lasts for the entirety of the NFL season and is open to all regular board members.  Each player starts with fictitious $1,000 that you can gamble as much or as little as you like on the week's Feature Game. There are two ways to increase your cash:

• Bet on the outcome of the Featured Game each week (with the spread). The featured game will be chosen each week from among the nationally televised games with the line set from when I post the thread.
  • There will be a number of questions that will ask you to make predictions or to forecast certain outcomes across the NFL during the week. Correct answers earn you cash. You do not lose cash for wrong answers. The types of questions will vary each week, as will the amount of cash they can earn you.
  • The competition continues through NFL season and post-season. At the conclusion of the Super Bowl the user with the most "cash" left will be the winner.

THE RULES
1. You make your bet and answer the questions simply by posting on the thread each week with your pick for the featured game along with your bet, followed by your answers to the prediction questions.

2. Everyone starts with $1,000. If a user doesn't start until week 3, they still start with $1,000. Your best bet it to get in early and play every week.

3. If you somehow reach $0 you are not out of the competition. You can't bet on the feature game during weeks that you are broke, but you can answer the prediction questions and hope to earn cash to gamble the following week.

4. IMPORTANT: I will set a deadline for getting your entries for the week in (usually before kick-off of that week's first game). It is imperative that you make your post before the deadline. The entry thread will be locked at the deadline so if you don't get your entry in by then you lose out on the chance to make money that week.

5. I work full time AND am 24/7 on-call AND frequently travel for games AND have a near crippling gaming addiction AND probably drink too much! Responsibilities and personality flaws allowing, I will attempt to post the results and the next week's game/questions each Tuesday, as early as possible. Keep in mind though that there may be some wackiness here and there based on my schedule and hangovers. Pay attention.

6. For the official recording of stats/yardage NFL.com will be used. Whatever their site says on Tuesday morning is what counts.  No whining.

7. Accounts created within the current calendar month are not eligible to play and any entries from such accounts will not be considered.

If you have any questions, ASK!

Prize(s): The winner will be declared the Champion of the 2nd D1P Edition of the Mock Gambling Thread and also take home a $50 Fanatics.com gift card so you can get some swag from your team! 

Can @BasemntDweller2 defend their title?  Let's find out as the 2019-20 MGT season commences!

WEEK 1 FEATURE GAME AND QUESTIONS FOLLOWS THIS POST

@thewhyteboar

@johnny

@Keyser_Soze

@Alpha1Cowboy

@Biggie

@SFLUFAN

@Jose

@Greatoneshere

@Rbk_3

@RedSoxFan9

@Kal-El814

@ Any other potential contenders!

• Like 1

WEEK 1 MOCK GAMBLING - SPREAD AND QUESTIONS

DEADLINE FOR WEEK 1 ENTRIES - 9/8/2019 (Sunday) 12:59pm EASTERN
THREAD WILL BE LOCKED AT THE DEADLINE SO GET YOUR ENTRIES IN!

Week 1 Feature Game
Pittsburgh Steelers (+5.5) at New England Patriots
(Remember you are betting against the spread, not just the outright winner)

QUESTIONS
1) What will be the first scoring play of the Feature Game? Steelers TD, Steelers FG, Steelers safety, Patriots TD, Patriots FG, Patriots safety, or other? ($300 for the correct call)

2) Which QB will be sacked the most in the Feature Game; Brady, Roethlisberger, or will it be a tie? ($200 for the correct call)

3) How many penalties will be thrown and accepted in the feature game? ($500 for the correct call)

4) Which team will have more turnovers in the Week 1 match-up between the Bills and the Jets?  ($300 for the correct call)

5) Call the winners:
LA Rams at Carolina
Detroit at Arizona
San Francisco at Tampa Bay
($300 for EACH correct named game winner, $800 bonus if you call all 3 correctly)

6) How many total points will be scored in the late Monday Night game (Denver at Oakland)? 0-10, 11-24, 25-36, 37-45, or 46-55 or 55+ ($500 for the correct guess)

7) Name the player who will score the first touchdown of the Washington @ Philadlephia game (by "score" we mean "the player holding the ball in the end-zone; don't name a QB unless you are guessing a rushing TD by them) ($400 for the correct answer)

8) Excluding players who played Thursday night (Bears and Packers' rosters): Name the player who will rush for the most yards AND the player that will have the most receiving yards in week one. ($1,000 for each player named correctly, $3,000 bonus if both names are called)

Good luck!

### Example Answer Post and MY ENTRY ###
Steelers for $500
1. Patriots FG
2. Brady
3. 7
4. Jets
5. Panthers, Lions, Bucs
6. 37-45
7. Guice
8. McCaffery, Smith-Schuster
#####################

Steelers $1000

) What will be the first scoring play of the Feature Game? Steelers TD

2) Which QB will be sacked the most in the Feature Game; Brady

3) How many penalties will be thrown and accepted in the feature game? 11

4) Which team will have more turnovers in the Week 1 match-up between the Bills and the Jets?  ($300 for the correct call) BIlls 

5) Call the winners:
LA Rams
Detroit
 Tampa Bay
($300 for EACH correct named game winner, $800 bonus if you call all 3 correctly)

6) How many total points will be scored in the late Monday Night game (Denver at Oakland)? 11-24

7) Name the player who will score the first touchdown of the Washington @ Philadlephia game? DESEAN JACCSON 

8) Excluding players who played Thursday night (Bears and Packers' rosters): Name the player who will rush for the most yards AND the player that will have the most receiving yards in week one. ($1,000 for each player named correctly, $3,000 bonus if both names are called)

Conner and Evans (TB)

On 9/6/2019 at 7:49 AM, Slug said:

WEEK 1 MOCK GAMBLING - SPREAD AND QUESTIONS

DEADLINE FOR WEEK 1 ENTRIES - 9/8/2019 (Sunday) 12:59pm EASTERN
THREAD WILL BE LOCKED AT THE DEADLINE SO GET YOUR ENTRIES IN!

Week 1 Feature Game
Pittsburgh Steelers (+5.5) at New England Patriots
(Remember you are betting against the spread, not just the outright winner)

QUESTIONS
1) What will be the first scoring play of the Feature Game? Steelers TD, Steelers FG, Steelers safety, Patriots TD, Patriots FG, Patriots safety, or other? ($300 for the correct call)

2) Which QB will be sacked the most in the Feature Game; Brady, Roethlisberger, or will it be a tie? ($200 for the correct call)

3) How many penalties will be thrown and accepted in the feature game? ($500 for the correct call)

4) Which team will have more turnovers in the Week 1 match-up between the Bills and the Jets?  ($300 for the correct call)

5) Call the winners:
LA Rams at Carolina
Detroit at Arizona
San Francisco at Tampa Bay

6) How many total points will be scored in the late Monday Night game (Denver at Oakland)? 0-10, 11-24, 25-36, 37-45, or 46-55 or 55+ ($500 for the correct guess)

7) Name the player who will score the first touchdown of the Washington @ Philadlephia game (by "score" we mean "the player holding the ball in the end-zone; don't name a QB unless you are guessing a rushing TD by them) ($400 for the correct answer)

8) Excluding players who played Thursday night (Bears and Packers' rosters): Name the player who will rush for the most yards AND the player that will have the most receiving yards in week one. ($1,000 for each player named correctly, $3,000 bonus if both names are called)

Good luck!

### Example Answer Post and MY ENTRY ###
Steelers for $500
1. Patriots FG
2. Brady
3. 7
4. Jets
5. Panthers, Lions, Bucs
6. 37-45
7. Guice
8. McCaffery, Smith-Schuster
#####################