Microsoft Earnings Out -- Gaming Revenue Down

AbsolutSurgen

Microsoft Cloud Powers Record Fourth Quarter Results

Gaming revenue decreased $233 million or 10%. Xbox hardware revenue declined 48%, primarily due to a decrease in volume of consoles sold. Xbox software and services revenue declined 3% against a high prior year comparable from a third-party title, offset in part by subscriptions growth. 

I think it is going to be a rough year for MS, until they are able to launch a new console.  Their hardware sales have (apparently) collapsed, and were down 48 in the last quarter.  It looks like lower Fortnite revenue could not be offset by higher GamePass (and Live) revenue -- and software/services revenue is down 3%.

Hopefully they can turn this around with a new console launch.

No games No money to be made. MS dropped the ball this gen Game Wise.   New Hardware does no good if you dont have games to drive the hardware.  Good thing they Acquired alot of new Studios.  If they dont fix the AAA games drought  their hardware has no chance

MS had to know there was going to be a pretty low "low point" in the sales, between the lack of first party titles (that they've obviously been aware of)  and the fact that the new console is coming out next year.

Plus, for the first time ever, we know for sure that a future console is going to work with the current gen. People can literally "wait and see" what Anaconda is gonna be, without fear of missing out on any big first party games, cuz those acquisitions aren't coming out with anything big for a while still, and even if they did, they'd be playable on Anaconda.

It's going to be a tough year and a half for Microsoft, but I have a feeling they're expecting it.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:21 PM, TomCat said:

No games No money to be made. MS dropped the ball this gen Game Wise.   New Hardware does no good if you dont have games to drive the hardware.  Good thing they Acquired alot of new Studios.  If they dont fix the AAA games drought  their hardware has no chance

I think Microsoft is thinking more in terms of their games driving Games Pass subs (and xCloud) than hardware these days.

Andaconda will be the first generational console shift that, technically speaking, won’t launch with exclusives.  It’ll be interesting to see how that pans out.

10 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think Microsoft is thinking more in terms of their games driving Games Pass subs (and xCloud) than hardware these days.

Andaconda will be the first generational console shift that, technically speaking, won’t launch with exclusives.  It’ll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Scarlett will absolutely launch with console exclusives. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Scarlett will absolutely launch with console exclusives. 

“Console exclusive” is a term that needs to die.  

Both because of streaming services, and the PC seeing better multi-platform support than the 2nd and 3rd place consoles.  It makes no sense to segment it out anymore.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

“Console exclusive” is a term that needs to die.  

Both because of streaming service, and the PC seeing better multi-platform support than the 2nd and 3rd place consoles.  It makes no sense to segment it out anymore.

Yet, Microsoft will continue to use it, just like they have for the last 3 years or so. 

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Yet, Microsoft will continue to use it, just like they have for the last 3 years or so. 

Yes, and it still needs to go away.

We should call them multiplatform games that skip the PS4.  Just like there are multiplatform games that skip the XB1.

Don't think Hardware/Scarlett is the focus of Xbox anymore. They've acquired a slew of studios to remedy the usual trio of series that continually pop up and XGP is quite a steal for the price. Software is definitely their focus next gen, which is fine by me

13 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

I just hope they dont go back to keeping their best games out PC. And I hope they support crossbuy more, they're extremely inconsistent with that. I have a feeling that Halo Infinite will not be crossbuy. 

It would be quite a bombshell if they went back on their PC also policy.  It’d be a reversal of what Phil’s been pushing for, including PC Games Pass.

There isn’t a good reason to think Halo won’t be cross buy.  You just won’t get if that you bought it on Steam, obviously, if it happens to show up there.

11 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

I just hope they dont go back to keeping their best games out PC. And I hope they support crossbuy more, they're extremely inconsistent with that. I have a feeling that Halo Infinite will not be crossbuy. 

What examples of Microsoft's 1st Party games are there that haven't been Play Anywhere since they initially rolled it out?

Sunset Overdrive, I think. I remember seeing that if you bought the game years ago on Xbox One it wouldn't unlock for PC when it was released not to long ago. In addition to that there are some older Windows Marketplace games that are also Xbox One games that are not crossbuy and they should've been back supported. And I'm talking about Gears of  War Ultimate