Debate thread, 2 debate 2 Democrat

17 minutes ago, Jose said:

His answer was not bad. He didn't say we should ignore climate change at all, or stop trying to fight it.

His answer wasn't good. While moving to high ground makes sense since we've developed abundant beachfront property in hurricane-prone areas, bringing up that America contributes 15% of carbon emissions -- which makes it one of the largest carbon emitters in the world -- just feeds into this "Nothing we can do" mentality that mclumber has espoused for at least a decade. It also ignores that we're one of the worst countries in terms of meeting the Paris accords, whereas plenty of others who haven't made the mark are still ahead of us in terms of progress. One country eliminating 15% of current emissions would be an extraordinary step.

Yang happens to be one of 3 or 4 candidates who I consistently like to listen to, btw.

We need to do everything we can to start moving the climate in the right direction.

Oh, the horror!

But seriously, folks, all he was saying was that we need to prepare to adapt to the issues  climate change will throw our way  *while* we try to fight it, and that we’re already late.

If you believe that climate change is a problem, and it’s set to hit us soon, and that we haven’t enough to date to fight it, then that’s an entirely sensible position.

1 minute ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Oh, the horror!

But seriously, folks, all he was saying was that we need to prepare to adapt to the issues  climate change will throw our way  *while* we try to fight it, and that we’re already late.

If you believe that climate change is a problem, and it’s set to hit us soon, and that we haven’t enough to date to fight it, then that’s an entirely sensible position.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

His answer wasn't good. While moving to high ground makes sense since we've developed abundant beachfront property in hurricane-prone areas, bringing up that America contributes 15% of carbon emissions -- which makes it one of the largest carbon emitters in the world -- just feeds into this "Nothing we can do" mentality that mclumber has espoused for at least a decade. It also ignores that we're one of the worst countries in terms of meeting the Paris accords, whereas plenty of others who haven't made the mark are still ahead of us in terms of progress. One country eliminating 15% of current emissions would be an extraordinary step.

Yang happens to be one of 3 or 4 candidates who I consistently like to listen to, btw.

That's the issue I have. Look at what was said in defense of it a page ago.

Andrew Yang is the most dangerous Democratic presidential candidate

In 30 seconds, Yang offered a mix of ill-informed defeatism about our ability to thwart the worst effects of a changing climate and an ill-conceived adaptation plan that would require individuals to do the heavy lifting that only a government can. Add in his climate plan explicitly calls for geoengineering, and it’s clear Andrew Yang isn’t just bad at climate politics. He has the most dangerous ideas about climate in the entire Democratic field.

• Thanks 4

Lo siento!

"We need to do everything we can to move our climate in the right direction"

Part of his answer included that statement and you guys are ignoring that. He might be terrible on climate in other instances, but judging this answer by itself, I thought it was pretty good.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:24 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

What were those people chanting?

On 7/31/2019 at 8:05 PM, Spork3245 said:

What was the second group chanting when Biden was speaking?

‘3 million deportations': Protesters heckle Biden, evoking deportations under Obama

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/3-million-deportations-protesters-heckle-biden-evoking-deportations-under-obama

Here are the candidates who have qualified for the September Democratic debate in Houston - so far

Former Vice President Joe Biden

Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont

Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts

Sen. Kamala Harris of California

Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey

Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota

South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg

Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke of Texas

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/08/03/qualified-third-debate-candidates/1909474001/

29 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Lol. Please get rid of the binder thrower. I'm shocked her and Beto made the list. What’s the minimum polling numbers for the September debate?

For the next debate at Texas Southern University in Houston on Sept. 12 and 13, the Democratic National Committee will require each candidate to have at least 2% support in four polls and contributions from at least 130,000 individual donors, thresholds expected to thin the list of candidates. 

I mean thats not a bad list, but i think 2% is too low, should made it 4 or 5 which is completely unreachable for the majority of these candidates, them dropping out probably allows a couple others to hit that mark and make it in, but the field would be whittled down to basically those people now instead of in september.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:35 PM, Remarkableriots said:

What they should have done is spread it out to 4 days of debates with 5 candidates per debate. That way they could give them all some time to answer questions.

They should have done a series of mini one on one, or three way, debates that all led up to one explosive night where they're all in the same ring together.

I'm not even joking.

9 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

They should have done a series of mini one on one, or three way, debates that all led up to one explosive night where they're all in the same ring together.

I'm not even joking.

It'd be fun to pair them up in tag teams. Warren/Sanders, Buttigieg/Harris, Biden/Delaney, Williamson/aura, Gilibrand/Beto.

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I'm not even joking.

But you only get eliminated if you go over the top rope, which will lead Beto on the mat clinging to the turnbuckle when he has a better shot winning the undercard.

12 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

But you only get eliminated if you go over the top rope, which will lead Beto on the mat clinging to the turnbuckle when he has a better shot winning the undercard.

We can joke but this is something I think about a lot. Professional wrestling is like the science of audience engagement. There's a lot of good in their formula that can be used for campaigning.

There are also parallels to the MARVEL formula. It works. No reason not to use what works.

This is a great time to remember that OUR PRESIDENT is in the WWE Hall of Fame, and a McMahon was until recently (and I had no idea this happened, a fucking cabinet secretary stepped down and it hardly didn't even make the news) the cabinet secretary for the Small Business Administration.

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is a great time to remember that OUR PRESIDENT is in the WWE Hall of Fame, and a McMahon was until recently (and I had no idea this happened, a fucking cabinet secretary stepped down and it hardly didn't even make the news) the cabinet secretary for the Small Business Administration.

Holy shit, I didn't know she stepped down.

But now she runs a pro-Trump Super PAC. 

It's ironic that a guy who supported a company that did shit like this:

tenor.gif?itemid=12898952

giphy.gif

OpulentMisguidedBoilweevil-max-1mb.gif

anigif_enhanced-6417-1411605270-20.gif?d

is complaining about violence.