WarnerMedia officially announces "HBO Max" streaming service

Max Original series previously announced include:

• “Dune: The Sisterhood,” an adaptation of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson’s book based in the world created by Frank Herbert’s book Dune, from director Denis Villeneuve
  • “Tokyo Vice,” based on Jake Adelstein’s non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat starring Ansel Elgort
  • “The Flight Attendant,” a one-hour thriller series based on the novel by Chris Bohjalian, which will star Kaley Cuoco, who is also executive producing alongside Greg Berlanti
  • “Love Life,” a 10-episode half-hour romantic comedy anthology series starring “Pitch Perfect” star Anna Kendrick, who will also executive produce alongside Paul Feig
  • “Station Eleven,” a postapocalyptic limited series based on Emily St. John Mandel’s international bestseller, adapted by Patrick Somerville and directed by Hiro Murai
  • “Made for Love,” a 10-episode, half-hour, straight-to-series adaptation based on the tragicomic novel of the same name by Alissa Nutting, also from Somerville and directed by S.J. Clarkson
  • “Gremlins,” an animated series from Warner Bros. Animation and Amblin Entertainment based on the original movie

• Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I feel like I’ll rotate between Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Disney+ as I work my way through content on each.

I got in on the Spotify/Hulu thing while that was available. Unfortunately if you did this you can't pay the differential to get on the ad-free plan, but it turns out ublock origin successfully blocks all the ads. 

I'm curious to see what they do with the current DC Universe platform. I imagine they'll fold in all of the DC U originals into Max, but something tells me the comics won't come with it. Maybe they'll keep DC Universe as a comics subscription platform ala Marvel Unlimited and change the price to $5 a month. 

I initially didn't care about the comics they had, as I use comixology. But a month or 2 back they added like a trillion books (ok, ok, more like 21,000) and it's almost overwhelming content-wise. I'd hate to lose access to that. I probably have enough to read for the next decade without ever buying another book if I wanted. 

I’ve been rotating through various services for a while now. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon (I don’t use them enough to justify an annual sub), HBO when I really want to watch a particular series, Criterion Channel when I’m feeling extra fancy. I try to stick to 1-2 at a time, and as these new services come I’ll add them to the rotation. 

I wonder how much this one will cost. If it’s everything from HBO (currently $15/month) plus originals and all this stuff from other networks, that sounds pricey. 

13 hours ago, brandino said:

I imagine that Now will stay like it is, Max will be Now plus the Warner catalog and tv shows

What would be the reason to pay for Now rather than Max if Max does everything Now does and more? Are you anticipating that Max will cost more? Now already isn't cheap compared to other services.

4 hours ago, legend said:

What would be the reason to pay for Now rather than Max if Max does everything Now does and more? Are you anticipating that Max will cost more? Now already isn't cheap compared to other services.

People are stupid?

I dunno if Max will cost more, or if they'll make Now cheaper or discontinue it. If I were them, I'd just move it all into Max and get rid of Go/Now

11 minutes ago, brandino said:

People are stupid?

I dunno if Max will cost more, or if they'll make Now cheaper or discontinue it. If I were them, I'd just move it all into Max and get rid of Go/Now

:lol: Sure, but even so it's a bit unusual to have a strictly worse service hanging around if it's the same price.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:58 AM, Mercury33 said:

Inability to pay month to month is incoming with these things. Gonna be forced to buy 6/12 months at a time I bet. 

not a chance. They make more money monthly. People will start cancelling if they have to make big, one time payments, even though it might be cheaper than monthly. Especially poor students and young people who can scrape up 15$ a month, but maybe not 200$ all at once for a year. 

And monthly is usually better for the streaming companies. 

Thgat said, Tokyo Vice!