Bleeding Edge (Ninja Theory's 4v4 stylized melee brawler) - Information Thread, update: "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide" video

crispy4000

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

https://xboxer.sk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Bleeding-Edge-E3-trailer-leaked-XboxerSK.mp4

Hide contents

Looks like some sort of Overwatch-like online multiplayer thing.  The teaser doesn't show any gameplay.

Ya beat me by a minute!

And it definitely has a third-person Overwatch vibe.

I trust them that it'll be a Melee-based, 3rd person, team vs game.  There's actually not too many of those today.  For Honor and Dota-likes like Smite come to mind.

So I think it's a good niche, but one that kind of goes against the expectations of the developer.  Microsoft would have wanted something like this for Games Pass, so I'm not totally surprised.  I'm assuming it was in development before they were bought.

16 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

3D Smash that meets Overwatch. I won’t ever play it but it looks good. 

I don't necessarily see Smash in this.  Throwing the guy into a train could be akin to ring outs in traditional fighters, or a fatality.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I haven't watched the video but no way this is anything like Smite or Dota.

Unlikely.  My point was that there's not many close analogs.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No real interest in that. If it comes to PC and there is a trial of some sort then I'll prolly try it. 

It'll definitely be on PC, since this is a Microsoft game (and studio) now.  The alpha starts this month too, going by the end of the trailer.

With Microsoft’s big “Single player story heavy” games problem, I think most were happy to see they bought Ninja Theory, a company known for pretty good single player experiences.

Maybe they leaked this on purpose to get any potential disappointment out now.  I know Ninja Theory is said to be working on multiple projects, but doubt many expected something like this from them.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Umm, that boat sailed when Games Pass launched.

Good point.

But they could have a basic F2P version with characters locked that you need to buy with in game currency, and the Game Pass or Retail version has all characters unlocked.

But yeah, I tend to agree that with Gamepass chances of MS trying straight F2P games is probably non existent.

17 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Good point.

But they could have a basic F2P version with characters locked that you need to buy with in game currency, and the Game Pass or Retail version has all characters unlocked.

But yeah, I tend to agree that with Gamepass chances of MS trying straight F2P games is probably non existent.

IMO, it's pretty easy to predict what's going to happen.  There will be an initial roster for the base game.  There will be a DLC roster they'll sell as season passes and/or piecemeal by characters.

It'd be nice to be proven wrong and get nothing but free updates.  But I doubt that's the long term play here.

51 minutes ago, johnny said:

Good on MS for wasting a good developer :rolleyes:

LOL MS didnt waste the developer.  They simply restored a game that they cancelled.  I'm not excited for it but it will help fill out the Game Pass Roster

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

IMO, it's pretty easy to predict what's going to happen.  There will be an initial roster for the base game.  There will be a DLC roster they'll sell as season passes and/or piecemeal by characters.

It'd be nice to be proven wrong and get nothing but free updates.  But I doubt that's the long term play here.

Possibly.

R6 Siege has a pretty good system in place, where they add more characters and you can buy them with in game currency or $.  Then they also have a season pass that unlocks characters automatically and gives you a few other perks like extra in game currency per match, discounts on skins, ect.  

There are a lot of very successful models out there now with a mix of using in game currency or $.  I hope MS goes that direction.

1 hour ago, TomCat said:

LOL MS didnt waste the developer.  They simply restored a game that they cancelled.  I'm not excited for it but it will help fill out the Game Pass Roster

That’s wasting the developer. Wasting their time. 

• Guillotine 1

31 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Possibly.

R6 Siege has a pretty good system in place, where they add more characters and you can buy them with in game currency or $.  Then they also have a season pass that unlocks characters automatically and gives you a few other perks like extra in game currency per match, discounts on skins, ect.  

There are a lot of very successful models out there now with a mix of using in game currency or $.  I hope MS goes that direction.

What R6 makes on DLC comes on top of what Ubisoft makes from its initial purchase.  They can afford a system that allows players in-game unlocking options.

I don’t think Games Pass (and similar services) incentives publishers to do the same.  The Season Pass model seems to make the most sense to make up those dividends.

1 hour ago, johnny said:

That’s wasting the developer. Wasting their time. 

Yeah, I'm sure that a GREAT way for MS to start their relationship with Ninja Theory would be to tell them "Oh, you guys actually want to work on that multiplayer melee project you ditched years ago?  Well, too bad - work on this instead!"

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Yeah, I'm sure that a GREAT way for MS to start their relationship with Ninja Theory would be to tell them "Oh, you guys actually want to work on that multiplayer melee project you ditched years ago?  Well, too bad - work on this instead!"

Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves 

• Guillotine 1

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

That sounds like one of those 2v2 fighters that's been popular in Japan for a while. So in other words it sounds like dog shit, but I might give it a try. Maybe it'll be great!

It will probably be great with no player base just like Anarchy Reigns was. I would guess that the development was far enough along on this game that the risk Microsoft is taking to fund it is worth having another exclusive even if it flops.

• 5 months later...