Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: "Authority Pack Free DLCs" trailer

So i played through the first couple of hours which I would assume is the tutorial section and here are my first very brief impressions. Parkour is definitely feels better and more fluid than in the first game even at this early state with no abilities unlocked. The first game had quite a steep progression curve with the parkour abilities early on and your character didn't really feel fluid and proficient at it until somewhere in the mid game. There was also the issue of losing speed and momentum if you bumped into something in the first game. I haven't encountered that so far.

Combat feels better as well already and Dying Light already had great first person melee combat. They improved on that already and even with no abilities and crap weapons, the combat is fun, meaty and satisfying. You really feel the impact of each blow as it lands and critical hits seem to happen more often all ready and I've only onlocked one combat ability so far.

I'm playing in performance mode which I assume is 1080p 60fps and it looks fine to me. I haven't bumped it up to 4K 30 yet to see how that looks and feels, but 1080 60fps is fine for me on my TV. Would love some RTX for some of the darker areas though.

Some of the jank has reared its head though... I've encountered a couple of instances where an object was shown to be interacterable but when I approached it, no prompt would appear for me to open/move it. So you have to kind of manuever the camera just right to get the prompt to show up. This has happened a couple of times so far in my game and was also something that happened in the first game as well. Hopefully it doesn't occur TOO much and it doesn't happen during parkour or gameplay sequences. It's only happened with me when I was looting.

That's all I got so far... I just got to the first big settlement/town so I think the game begins properly now. I can't say much about the story but one thing I will say, regardless of how the actual story is quality wise, the voice acting and presentation is top notch just like it was in the first game. I'm VERY early and that may change, but the game has captured my interest so far. I'll continue to update my impressions as I play.

@best3444 and whomever else is interested :p

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So i played through the first couple of hours which I would assume is the tutorial section and here are my first very brief impressions. Parkour is definitely feels better and more fluid than in the first game even at this early state with no abilities unlocked. The first game had quite a steep progression curve with the parkour abilities early on and your character didn't really feel fluid and proficient at it until somewhere in the mid game. There was also the issue of losing speed and momentum if you bumped into something in the first game. I haven't encountered that so far.

Combat feels better as well already and Dying Light already had great first person melee combat. They improved on that already and even with no abilities and crap weapons, the combat is fun, meaty and satisfying. You really feel the impact of each blow as it lands and critical hits seem to happen more often all ready and I've only onlocked one combat ability so far.

I'm playing in performance mode which I assume is 1080p 60fps and it looks fine to me. I haven't bumped it up to 4K 30 yet to see how that looks and feels, but 1080 60fps is fine for me on my TV. Would love some RTX for some of the darker areas though.

Some of the jank has reared its head though... I've encountered a couple of instances where an object was shown to be interacterable but when I approached it, no prompt would appear for me to open/move it. So you have to kind of manuever the camera just right to get the prompt to show up. This has happened a couple of times so far in my game and was also something that happened in the first game as well. Hopefully it doesn't occur TOO much and it doesn't happen during parkour or gameplay sequences. It's only happened with me when I was looting.

That's all I got so far... I just got to the first big settlement/town so I think the game begins properly now. I can't say much about the story but one thing I will say, regardless of how the actual story is quality wise, the voice acting and presentation is top notch just like it was in the first game. I'm VERY early and that may change, but the game has captured my interest so far. I'll continue to update my impressions as I play.

@best3444 and whomever else is interested :p

Thank you. Sounds pretty solid so far for you. I'm digging in tomorrow on my day off so I'll post impressions too. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry Last-Gen Console Analysis
23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There are no firearms in Dying Light 2.

None at all? Hmmm. That seems goofy but whatever :shrug:

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention is how stamina is handled in this game. Before you could parkour and hang onto stuff without your stamina depleting. Now everything costs stamina, so if you don't climb something before your stamina depletes or you can take a break, you'll fall. That's another change from the first game.

EDIT 2: You can tell this game was designed with PC in mind first from the U.I.

I’m enjoying this game very much, I like that it begins slowly allowing you to ease into all of its core gameplay mechanics. The gameplay is really smooth, and responsive. I especially like the combat, and platforming. The voice/voice acting for the main character is good, and I’m liking him more than I was expecting to. I’m even liking the story so far as well.

I’m playing it on a PS4 Slim, and it runs at a steady 30fps. Unfortunately, the graphics are a little low res looking. However, the amount of detail to everything and the lighting are impressive.

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

What a tragedy Village's numbers are in comparison, because by every conceivable metric it is a vastly, vastly superior game.

How is Resident Evil Village a vastly superior game? I haven’t played it yet, but I’ve heard that it’s a rather short and linear FPS with an unappealing main character which doesn’t sound superior to Dying Light 2 to me.

What I’ve played of Dying Light 2 so far has been great, and I prefer its genre (open world action RPG) to linear shooters. Of course I won’t be able to say for sure which game I feel is superior until I play both to completion, but I have a feeling that I’m going to like Dying Light 2 more. We’ll see.

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

How is Resident Evil Village a vastly superior game? I haven’t played it yet, but I’ve heard that it’s a rather short and linear FPS with an unappealing main character which doesn’t sound superior to Dying Light 2 to me.

What I’ve played of Dying Light 2 so far has been great, and I prefer its genre (open world action RPG) to linear shooters. Of course I won’t be able to say for sure which game I feel is superior until I play both to completion, but I have a feeling that I’m going to like Dying Light 2 more. We’ll see.

Like I said, from a graphics and overall polish perspective, Village IS the superior game. It should be.... it's from an established franchise. Dying Light trounces it from a gameplay perspective in my opinion. I just beat RE: Village recently and I damn near hated every minute of it. The Gameplay is so slow and plodding yet they tried to make this one more like RE:4 which was a more action oriented entry, but the kept the same control scheme from RE:7 which was a much slower experience and the mashup didn't work for me at all. What yoiu've heard about Village is spot on and why it's so highly regarded even as a Residenrt Evil game is beyond me. It plays like shit.

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Who compares RE to Dying Light? They’re extremely different games. 

That tweet that keeps comparing the Steam users for both for some reason... why they keep singling out RE Village is beyone me for some reason, but someone here took offense that Dying Light 2 was doing better numberswise on Steam for some reason. They are both very different games that are doing different things... one is just more successful at what it's trying to do than the ither though.,

I played 3 straight hours and I'm really loving what I played. I never played the first one so I can't compare this to anything but it's surprising me for sure. The pacing is phenomenal. The visuals are great, too. I'm playing on the XSX with resolution and the framerate is extremely solid. I tried 60fps but it definitely knocks the resolution down a lot. The visuals are damn good imo. Awesome foliage and lighting.

The combat is awesome so far. You really feel the impacts of your hits. I only learned like 3 different combat strategies but I must be really early on.

I think I basically got to the meat of the game just now. The city really just opened up for me. So far this has been much, much better than I was anticipating and I haven't ran into one single bug. I very happy with what I played!

The day one patch must have squashed a lot of the technical issues complained about in the reviews. 

It's B movie quality story telling and voice acting but it's keeping my interest and more importantly the game is just fun to play.

@stepee you probably can make this game look incredible on your PC. Lucky son of a bitch. :p

• Like 1

I’m in the city now but it’s still not really letting me off the leash yet, but definitely digging it so far. Harkon seems like a character, more personality than most in the first game already. Definitely moving a bit better here between using a xbox game pad instead of switch handheld, the bigger screen, and then all the improvements! Combat of course feels fucking awesome.

For technical issues I had one instance of it being stuck at like 20fps after loading into a cinema but a game restart fixed it. I guess none of the versions have real hdr and the gamma default is too low with no good adjustment sample pictures so it took a minute to get the contrast right. Also vrr doesn’t seem to be working quite right, if I slow pan it causes a weird effect where it pans smooth but the lines become jagged. I just switched to 60hz and turned off vrr, luckily 1800p dlss seems to hold at 60 all maxed out which is a relief.

It seems like overall people aren’t really having too many technical issues, most complaints I’m seeing are with the story and I guess the dialog not making sense in parts? Honestly the things I have read just sounded funny lol. I wonder what happened that made it so such a huge patch was right after the embargo, seems like it being right at the cusp of the coveted 80+ meta, they probably would have had it if they extended the embargo. Or I guess the reviewers essentially were their QA check? If that’s the case should have just sent near finals for preview.

Okay sweet I just got a 16ft cord for the quest 2 so I used that to check out dualsense support and yeah it seems to have full native support. Really cool, talk about best of all worlds. Hope they make native ds support wireless in Win11 soon tho. Maybe when the first Sony game with dualsense features arrives. Also I’ll probably want to order a 10ft regular usb c cable because this thing is way too big and cumbersome to just connect a controller.

Cant wait to play more of this tomorrow especially now, I think I’m right before it opens up for me.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

While I’m enjoying it on my PS4 Slim because the game itself is good, there’s also no denying that it doesn’t look very good from a technical standpoint. It looks like what I would expect the Switch version to look like, and that’s not an exaggeration. It’s really low res, everything looks kind of blurry. And the NPCs and zombies move kind of jittery.

I recently played Far Cry 6 which looked really good, so I don’t know why this doesn’t look better than it does. After watching so many gameplay videos of the PC version before getting it, it’s disappointing how much worse that the PS4 version looks by comparison. It’s unfortunately making me enjoy the game less.

I can’t believe that they’re making a Switch version, because if the PS4 version looks as bad as it does then what’s the Switch version going to look like?

• Sad 1

Every single second of dialogue in this game is expertly delivered by amatuer 19 year-old Canadians reading slowly from a script. Combined with the way faces have almost 0 animation above the mouth (aside from eyeballs (not the entire eye/eyelids/brow, just darting eyeballs!) moving and very rare minor eyebrow movements) it feels like a weird high school stage production.

While that makes for a certain B-movie charm it also makes it hard to take literally anything even halfway seriously.

Besides that, the parkour is alright, I like that things are tied to stamina now so you can't just run around like a superhero who never has to rest. While that sort of thing can be fun, it makes a lot less sense in a horror (or in DL's case, a horror-themed) game, and even less so when you're dealing with things like chases and, you know, stakes and whatnot. It's a lot harder to sell the zombies as being a threat if you can just Spider-Man around without a single thought all night, so definitely a welcome change.

Uhh, I guess the ray tracing is pretty nice, game looks kind of like ass without it. But DF already covered that.

Combat is completely meh so far, though. The "parkour combat," at least the start of it, is just weird, a bizarre concept and kind of janky. Stun an enemy then use jump off them to kick others, sounds cool but it gets weird when they're near a wall or something and then you can find yourself leapfrogging them twice just to get an angle on another enemy and then, again, I just miss Village's combat. Smooth, satisfying, much more impactful.

So far in Dying Light I'm either just spamming perfect guards/dodges for free leapfrogging shenanigans or backstepping and slapping enemies with a stick. The actual impacts aren't bad but I don't feel any real design intent in the combat outside of the parkour stuff, and that gets weird. Maybe it gets better as you unlock more of the tree. I really like the idea of parkour combat but this early I still feel like Mirror's Edge did it better. (The actual melee stuff, not gunplay.)

Also I dunno why they took Immortals' POI marking system and kept the flaws. It was a neat system, but being able to tag shit you couldn't see was a major flaw that made it feel unfun and kind of shitty to use. I'm doing the same thing here. Waiting for my binoculars to focus on this concrete wall so I can tag the windmill 2 miles behind it that I can't even see. C'mon guys, don't let me tag something not in my line of sight!

The tutorial felt way too long and more like an extended set of twin prologues that somehow moved too quickly and nowhere near fast enough. If you must have a lengthy tutorial where you're introducing a bunch of concepts, characters and worldbuilding, try to trim the fat as much as possible to keep it maybe 20 minutes long, not going past the hour mark. Get people into the fun faster. What the fuck was with me collecting honey and chamomile, then slowly searching a house, then going to a new area to kind of do very similar things before finally, eventually, after several more mini-missions, being let loose? If you can read an entire Xbob42 post and the tutorial's not over, you done fucked up.

I'm glad they kept my favorite element from the original game though: Chases. I love sneaking around at night hunting rare infected with stealth and then the thrill of eventually getting caught and fleeing a horde, trying to quickly map a way out in the near pitch-black night with nothing but my flashlight and the occasional distant lights. So much more fun than the middling combat!

• Like 1

I'd honestly say Village and DL2 are more similar than they are different. There are superficial-only similarities, sure, but open world aside I would consider them at least cousins, if not siblings. I guess it comes down to what open world means to you. For me so far it hasn't meant very much. Certainly less linear in terms of exploration, but not to some hyper significant degree. 

But that entire discussion is getting really lost in the weeds for not much gain. 

I will say now that I've unlocked a few more parkour skills the movement feels quite a bit better. Combat is still kind of meh but at least it's not actively bad. 

I heard a lot of complaining about people mad about weapons breaking, and while they do break very frequently I always feel like I have ten more, and unlike BotW I don't have to micromanage a fiddly menu so it hasn't been an issue at all. 

Might try going for a tank build, as while most weapons feel kind of standard, launching a zombie 20 feet away with a 2-handed hammer is much, much more satisfying to me. Weapons with big knockback in "Zombie games" as that tweet calls them, are great, loved similar weapons in Village and RE7 for the same reason. 

I'm now curious where this one will end up in my memory once I've finished playing it. While I do love some elements, right now it's got this overwhelming sense of being yet another open world game I play for 15-30 hours, never finish, and regard as a "well, I wasn't bored while I was playing..." titles. Nothing has really captured me so far. Just like nothing has turned me away. 

EDIT: Thinking on it, I think I consider open worlds like this to be mostly a net negative and sometimes a net neutral. Because I really like the open world in Pokemon Legends despite it being a visual crapshoot and it containing very little to explore... but it contains the core reason you play a Pokemon game: The Pokemon themselves. So the open world makes exploring more exciting if you consider finding Pokemon to be exciting. In Dying Light 2, you might find something interesting, but a lot of the time (at least as far in as I am, which isn't very) you're just going to be finding the same few things over and over again: supplies, fights, maybe an inhibitor. Whether or not I'll enjoy the open-world in the end will largely come down to if there's truly exciting stuff to find. Maybe you go the whole game without a gun and then you find a bunker with a bunch of big shotties, maybe you find a GRE lab with a functioning jetpack, maybe you find some sweet traversal tools or vehicles that aren't bicycles. There's definitely things that would excite me, but it comes down to whether they've added them or not.