Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: "Authority Pack Free DLCs" trailer

11 hours ago, stepee said:

Its the flashbacks that I mean, they don’t appear to be renders in real time and are of quite questionable quality. If they are not compressed video then I have no idea wtf they are doing with them.

Oh, yes, they are odd and I agree, the quality looks like a 360 game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: "Authority Pack Free DLCs" trailer

Also 1.05 patch hit console on Friday I believe and PC got 1.05 (second patch on pc) as well! Everyone should have the option to disable distance blur now and I recommend to do so. It doesn’t seem to effect the actual dof like during close up conversations. It’s just blurring everything in the far distance for reasons. Console players can also turn off motion blur now but your mileage there probably will vary if you are playing 30fps, would definitely turn it off if you play performance mode.

Visually the only thing bothering me now is sometimes the GI lighting and dlss don’t work well together and it causes these weird little flickering bunches of lights. But it’s rare enough that it’s not easy to replicate so I haven’t troubleshot to see if it’s only in performance mode that it does that, just an ocd thing really.

Fucking amazing looking games most of the time, gets me pumped for some more AAA titles really pushing modern tech. Like picturing RE with this ray tracing suite oh man.

I'm playing multiple games right now so I haven't gotten far enough to get the hang glider yet, but my friend did have this to say about it:

the game is so shit compared to the first one
by the time you get all the parkour skills you're fucking done with parkour. just mary poppins shit floating around

Does it really destroy parkour? I feel like that's a core gameplay mechanic you wouldn't want to lose with an upgrade. It definitely felt good in Breath of the Wild, but there wasn't a parkour system in that game so it just saved travel time. I could see me being on either side of the fence on this one, depending on how easy it is to use/how frequently you can use it. If you can like climb up to literally any roof and just glide 4 blocks that seems... not great. If you require some real height to get distance that would make it much more strategic.

57 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm playing multiple games right now so I haven't gotten far enough to get the hang glider yet, but my friend did have this to say about it:

Does it really destroy parkour? I feel like that's a core gameplay mechanic you wouldn't want to lose with an upgrade. It definitely felt good in Breath of the Wild, but there wasn't a parkour system in that game so it just saved travel time. I could see me being on either side of the fence on this one, depending on how easy it is to use/how frequently you can use it. If you can like climb up to literally any roof and just glide 4 blocks that seems... not great. If you require some real height to get distance that would make it much more strategic.

Maybe it changes because I hear you can really spider-man around with the grappling hook and the paraglider combined or smtn, but at least initially you need to rely on moving over air vents to cover large distances and it’s also still dependent on stamina so you’re having to manage it. I’m still  parkouring all over the place because climbing up to a building and soaring back down doesn’t seem like always the most efficient way to get around when the parkour is itself so fast and efficient.

I've seen some others complain about the glider, not to that extent but I have seen it. Here's a simple solution, don't use it? The first time I beat Dying Light 1 I never used the grappling hook at all because there were similar complaints. Just never used it. I used it in my second playthrough and it didn't "destroy the parkour system". It's just another option... AN OPTION.

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

Maybe it changes because I hear you can really spider-man around with the grappling hook and the paraglider combined or smtn, but at least initially you need to rely on moving over air vents to cover large distances and it’s also still dependent on stamina so you’re having to manage it. I’m still  parkouring all over the place because climbing up to a building and soaring back down doesn’t seem like always the most efficient way to get around when the parkour is itself so fast and efficient.

That's good to hear for where you're at at least. Hope it stays that way at least until endgame.

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've seen some others complain about the glider, not to that extent but I have seen it. Here's a simple solution, don't use it? The first time I beat Dying Light 1 I never used the grappling hook at all because there were similar complaints. Just never used it. I used it in my second playthrough and it didn't "destroy the parkour system". It's just another option... AN OPTION.

Eh, "don't use it" really oversimplifies why it's a problem to begin with. Introducing an item like this without considering the rest of the game design starts to also introduce conflict in how the user might want to play. For example, if I don't want to be able to endlessly glide everywhere, but am provided the option, and I'm in a sticky situation or have to cross the map, now I'm thinking about how inefficient I'm being by not using it, or wondering if not using it is missing out on intended game design and generally just having an easy mode button available at all times just waters down the entire experience for me, even if I don't use it. Its very presence alters my enjoyment of the game.

I'd rather not have to use self-imposed limitations on a game designed by hundreds of professionals if at all possible. There's a big difference to me between an option and what amounts to a cheat. Imagine in GTA, for example, instead of unlimited ammo for a automatic rifle being a cheat, they just give you an automatic rifle with unlimited ammo 50% through the game. They've thrown a huge wrench into the game's balance. Do you use it? Obviously they gave it to you, so maybe everything going forward is designed around having limitless ammo? Or maybe they just thought it would be a cool reward? Why am I suddenly in charge of balancing the game?

It's not the end of the world of course, but it (and remember, I'm just talking hypothetically here, I don't even have the glider) just complicates the simple enjoyment of the game when something that completely circumvents a core mechanic is brought in out of nowhere.

7 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Managed to fix my broken save state. Ive got about 20 hours in and by god this story and mission structure is terrible , even by video game standards its dumpster tier. The gameplay loop carries this game so hard but even after 20 hours its wearing thin for me. 

Glad you got your save back though, I fucking HATE that feeling of losing a save, like I seem to do with every switch Pokémon game somehow.

Im still absolutely loving this game, just got the grapple hooooook. If you haven’t hit the second city yet, I think the new elements it brings about really keeps the game moving. I also think the story is getting a LITTLE better. The new cast with Rosario and all is better than the people you initially meet.

• Like 1

Omg I was stuck for an hour trying to get this military tech now that I see it’s needed for upgrading parachute/hook and just could NOT climb up to the top of this building, didn’t have the stamina even though I’ve maxed it pretty far.

Anyway it took an hour before I realized oh wait what if instead of climbing this building I use that air vent down there to get on top of this other building next to it and then glide to my target. Duhhhhhhhhh.

Edit. Glad I upgraded before the climbing north loop radio tower mission though because holy shit they make you work for that 

On 2/15/2022 at 6:56 PM, stepee said:

Glad you got your save back though, I fucking HATE that feeling of losing a save, like I seem to do with every switch Pokémon game somehow.

Im still absolutely loving this game, just got the grapple hooooook. If you haven’t hit the second city yet, I think the new elements it brings about really keeps the game moving. I also think the story is getting a LITTLE better. The new cast with Rosario and all is better than the people you initially meet.

Got to the second city, i actually dislike it even more. Its fine , its just not my cup of tea. I might come back to it later on.

• Sad 1

Hit the point of no return, just in time for me to finish off tomorrow and start Horizon. The story is just barely hanging on to a sense of coherence! With most parkour stuff maxed out the sense of movement in these parkour jungle gyms that make up the city is just sublime. 

I’d love to see a new Mirrors Edge open world but with this sense of scale, density, and verticality.

edit: Nice, just finished one of the last big battles with a jump kick sending a big dude and his friend flying off the building, as it should be.

Didn’t mean to actually plan it that close, but just beat this exactly an hour before Horizon! Solid 8.5/10 for me. Some more QA and someone straightening out the story (they did the right thing firing dude and scraping his part after the sexual harassment charges but man there are some things that should have been easily caught, sometimes it can’t stay in continuity within one minute of itself) and this could have been an all timer for me.

The gameplay is just magnificent and the city is designed to accommodate it so well, even if some design parts are reused too much especially inside. But the main thing is, you can constantly pull off cool looking parkour mixed with gliding and swinging now. To me the gliding just added to the parkour puzzle of how do I get UP. And that verticality is really without equal in terms of scope. It makes the climbs feel huge and exciting. I also loved just using gliding as a kind of long jump. Combat isn’t too shabby either!

Definitely will play whatever story dlc they have planned for it.

• Shocked 1

I have been waiting forever for Matt to call me. I tried some recommendations I found but nothing is triggering the event. I am close to giving up and moving on to Horizon. 

I like the game but I am encountering too many bugs or glitches. I completed a substation puzzle and when I went to turn it on, the prompt never shows up. It has the quest marker. The game says all loot will be lost if you turn it on but I can’t. Little things like this adds up and makes me want to wait for the DL2 enhanced edition. 

41 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I have been waiting forever for Matt to call me. I tried some recommendations I found but nothing is triggering the event. I am close to giving up and moving on to Horizon. 

I like the game but I am encountering too many bugs or glitches. I completed a substation puzzle and when I went to turn it on, the prompt never shows up. It has the quest marker. The game says all loot will be lost if you turn it on but I can’t. Little things like this adds up and makes me want to wait for the DL2 enhanced edition. 

That sucks, I assume you’ve completed a side quest since getting the mission? That’s what I did and then the call came in. 

I got lucky and only had a couple times where the game brought me back to the title screen saying “profile changed” but never lost any progress. Besides that nothing game breaking, mostly just the silly continuity story stuff was the unpolished part for me. Hope they patch it up on the quick for everyone, ruined progress is mehhhh.

On 2/20/2022 at 12:07 AM, stepee said:

That sucks, I assume you’ve completed a side quest since getting the mission? That’s what I did and then the call came in. 

I got lucky and only had a couple times where the game brought me back to the title screen saying “profile changed” but never lost any progress. Besides that nothing game breaking, mostly just the silly continuity story stuff was the unpolished part for me. Hope they patch it up on the quick for everyone, ruined progress is mehhhh.

Yea I have died, completed quests, fast traveled, did a substation and nothing. Someone thought you need to be level 4 to trigger it so I did that too and nothing.  I am not sure what else to do at this point. 

On 2/11/2022 at 8:41 PM, Phaseknox said:

My stereo receiver up and died on me, so I’ve been playing using TV speakers and they suck. Audio is important in this game, so I decided to stop playing. I was still early in it, and wouldn’t have had it finished by next Friday when Horizon Forbidden West comes out anyway. I have to get a new stereo receiver by then.

I feel your pain. I purchased a new Denon x6700 to replace my Marantz sr7010 receiver that crapped out on me. Just one giant HDMI switch box and still that because my receiver hasn’t arrived yet. I ordered it August 28th and have had 5 different arrival dates that keep changing. By the last update I got, I should be getting a call this week but doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

Patch is out with the new Balanced mode on Xbox Series X. This is the mode it should've launched with in the first place. I can't tell you exactly what's different, but it feels like it's running at 60fps and looks noticeably sharper than the performance mode. I'm not even sure why they kept the Performance mode, to tell you the truth. It's literally obsolete now.

• 5 months later...

I was recently thinking about how this game came and went so quickly, basically being forgotten a month after its release. Of course coming out so close to both Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West had a lot to do with that, but even now over six months later it’s still forgotten and never discussed anymore anywhere.

I bought it on day one for full price which I almost never do with games anymore, and I admit that I was a little disappointed with it. Part of the reason was because I bought the PS4 version which looked more like what I would expect the Switch version to look like, it’s not visually the quality of a PS4 game. The first Dying Light looks significantly better on PS4 compared to this. But that wasn’t the only problem, I just didn’t find the game itself all that fun or engaging. The story and characters failed to really interest me, the missions are somewhat generic and the game world is kind of average. Nothing about it is bad per se, but nothing is really great either IMO. I was somewhat enjoying my time with it because the combat and parkour are pretty good, but it lacks a certain something to really suck me into it. I stopped playing it when Horizon Forbidden West came out.

I’ve been meaning to play it again, but I just haven’t gotten in the mood. It definitely wasn’t worth paying full price on day one for, and I regret doing so. I got Horizon Forbidden West on day one for my birthday, but it also failed to really pull me in as it kind of felt like just more Horizon Zero Dawn so I stopped playing it and haven’t gone back to it since. Saints Row comes out next week and is the first game since Horizon Forbidden West that I’ve wanted on day one, I hope that it delivers and doesn’t disappoint like Dying Light 2 and Horizon Forbidden West kind of did.

• Sad 1

I had such a great time with this one myself, though my experience was different playing on pc I’m sure. I really liked the vertical maze designs, it made it feel more fresh to me than the original even. I played them almost back to back and I liked this one more than the first, but I can see why people would prefer the first. 

Hope we are getting a story based expansion like the first one got, I just need a good excuse to dive back in.

But man ya did this totally bomb? It really does seem to have left a whimper upon its arrival compared to the first which was kind of a big hit. But who knows maybe it did fine and just got swallowed by elden ring hype.