Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: "Authority Pack Free DLCs" trailer

22 minutes ago, HardAct said:

What GPU's are you guys rocking? I'm staying away from this game for the time being. I'm still using a competent PC I7 9700k / 2080Ti but usually playing at 1440p with RT on is the sweet spot for 120htz with Hdr but from what I'm reading this isn't Ideal for this game and I'm on a LGCX so 3200x1800 or what ever isn't going to work. Anyone playing on the Series x? How is that? I have to much to play through right now though and I'm really trying HARD to not further burden myself with HUGE open world games in my Steam library. 

Appreciate all the chatter though, I'm reading lots that would pertain to my tastes and likes when gaming also the Key binding stuff sounds daunting too. I use a Razor mini keypad for most gaming along with a mouse and just love love it!

Still trying to find a PS5 if anyone wants to help in this endless endeavor ...lol

3200x1800 would still work for you, I’m using it on a tv as well, you just set the custom resolution in nvidia control panel then select the resolution in game and it keeps hdr (which is only auto hdr in this game). 

Bob and I are on 3080 but are maxing it out, on a 2080ti I’d still try to target a higher res like 1800p, keep RT GI, but lose the other RT options.

Definitely don’t play this on XSX when you have a 2080ti.

Took the day off from work and played this for 3 more hours. That puts me roughly 12 hours in and I absolutely love this game. It really reminds me of a good Fallout game in terms of characters and story. I find the story interesting enough to keep pushing forward to see what's next. 

I love upgrading and modding weapons. The combat is really satisfying, too. I literally have not ran into one single bug too which is surprising me. I find resolution looks best when playing on XSX. I find the visuals to be awesome overall. Really immersive and well made game. 

I'm definitely seeing through this game before moving on to anything else. Great times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah between this, Sifu and Elden ring I don't think I'll be getting to Horizon Forbidden West anytime soon. I was hoping to beat the first game before the second one came out but that ain't happening. 

I'm going to beat Dying Light 2, move on to Forbidden West, then take my time with Elden Ring. 

Out of curiosity I decided to restart Dying Light 2 without its day one patch just to see what it was like before it, and got a pleasant surprise. It displays at a slightly higher resolution so that the graphics are a little less blurry, and zombies off in the distance don’t move jittery like stop motion animation. While it’s still low res, at least it doesn’t look like Vaseline is smeared on my TV screen anymore. It’s definitely more appealing looking, and more what I expect the PS4 version to look like.

There’s a tiny bit of screen tearing every once in a while that wasn’t present when I played with the patch, but it’s so mild and infrequent that it’s barely even noticeable. It’s definitely not even remotely bad enough to lower the resolution to remove it if that was their reasoning for doing so. I’ll take a little screen tearing here and there every once in a while over Vaseline smeared graphics, and jittery animations.

The frame rate has been a steady 30fps with no drops, so I can only assume that the resolution was lowered because of the slight screen tearing which is stupid if true. I’m enjoying the game much more now that it doesn’t look like a blurry smeary mess with jittery moving zombies off in the distance.

34 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Out of curiosity I decided to restart Dying Light 2 without its day one patch just to see what it was like before it, and got a pleasant surprise. It displays at a slightly higher resolution so that the graphics are a little less blurry, and zombies off in the distance don’t move jittery like stop motion animation. While it’s still low res, at least it doesn’t look like Vaseline is smeared on my TV screen anymore. It’s definitely more appealing looking, and more what I expect the PS4 version to look like.

There’s a tiny bit of screen tearing every once in a while that wasn’t present when I played with the patch, but it’s so mild and infrequent that it’s barely even noticeable. It’s definitely not even remotely bad enough to lower the resolution to remove it if that was their reasoning for doing so. I’ll take a little screen tearing here and there every once in a while over Vaseline smeared graphics, and jittery animations.

The frame rate has been a steady 30fps with no drops, so I can only assume that the resolution was lowered because of the slight screen tearing which is stupid if true. I’m enjoying the game much more now that it doesn’t look like a blurry smeary mess with jittery moving zombies off in the distance.

Very good to hear.

Been playing this on Quality Mode on the Series X, and it's supposed to be 30fps just like the Resolution mode, but I dunno about that. Res mode seems snappier. Either that or the motion blur in Quality mode is more intense so it feels slower. I keep swapping back and forth wondering if Quality mode is worth it. 

I think it's also a placebo effect because when I play it on my Series S in the other room I don't even notice the difference, and that's at a lower resolution without the raytraced shadows and ambient occlusion. If I allowed myself to play on Res mode or even Performance mode for longer than a few minutes I'd probably be fine with it.

I keep getting graphical geometry glitches too though, which is starting to get annoying. Like there's a single vertex on a character's arm that shoots out into oblivion and takes the entire arm with it. A restart usually clears it up but its irritating nonetheless.

33 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Been playing this on Quality Mode on the Series X, and it's supposed to be 30fps just like the Resolution mode, but I dunno about that. Res mode seems snappier. Either that or the motion blur in Quality mode is more intense so it feels slower. I keep swapping back and forth wondering if Quality mode is worth it. 

I think it's also a placebo effect because when I play it on my Series S in the other room I don't even notice the difference, and that's at a lower resolution without the raytraced shadows and ambient occlusion. If I allowed myself to play on Res mode or even Performance mode for longer than a few minutes I'd probably be fine with it.

I keep getting graphical geometry glitches too though, which is starting to get annoying. Like there's a single vertex on a character's arm that shoots out into oblivion and takes the entire arm with it. A restart usually clears it up but its irritating nonetheless.

I haven't experienced ONE bug in 12 hours. I must be lucky. Also, just play in resolution mode it looks much better and runs great.

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But not really

Actually it is because I can enjoy the game now, before I was finding the blurry graphics and stuttering distant animations so off-putting that it made me not even want to play it. I might not be a graphics whore, but this was a little too much for even me.

In addition to being put off by the extremely low res look of the game, I was continuously experiencing the audio bug that prevents the voiced conversations from playing. This is a game breaking bug, so I was going to shelf the game until it was fixed. However, I have not experienced this bug playing the game unpatched. So now not only does the game visually look a little better, but it doesn’t have the audio bug either.

Of course I’m still a little disappointed with the overall quality of the PS4 version, especially considering that I paid the same price for an inferior product. But at least now I’m finding it acceptable enough to play and enjoy unlike before.

• Like 1

Played 2 more hours this evening. I modded a sweet ass razor axe and was absolutely destroying zombies and humans. I'm playing on normal and haven't had any challenging issues yet. I fought a few "bosses" too.

I love the foliage and lighting in this game. The morning sunrise is beautiful to see. Also, I know this is odd, but this game has the best sky I've seen in a game. :p

59 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Played 2 more hours this evening. I modded a sweet ass razor axe and was absolutely destroying zombies and humans. I'm playing on normal and haven't had any challenging issues yet. I fought a few "bosses" too.

I love the foliage and lighting in this game. The morning sunrise is beautiful to see. Also, I know this is odd, but this game has the best sky I've seen in a game. :p

Cuz its a skybox. The clouds don't even move.

17 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Cuz its a skybox. The clouds don't even move.

It’s unfortunate when games use a skybox like this and don’t have native hdr as well. Same issue here I had with FF7R on pc (had to inject hdr to DX11 mode since DX12 was broken) where its nearly impossible to get the contrast right without overly exposing the sky because it doesn’t adjust the same as the rest of the world.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ahhh I gotta get to the paraglided, I spend too much time basically just running around doing nothing and looking at stuff lol. Which thankfully the game does reward you some

for which I appreciate! 

I think I put 16 hours in and just now got the paraglider. Yes, a lot of things you do in this game gives you exp. I've unlocked a decent amount of upgrades but still have a way to go. I ran into some pretty cool story elements today. I'm impressed.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

“You think killing Monsieur Cock and Cunt will make a difference?” lmao

Lol. The dialogue in this is very solid. 

Spoiler

I just ran into Rosario Dawson's character and she is terrific. Also, so far there has been like 3 deaths in the game. Not just random people but main story characters. That's a welcoming change compared to other games. 

Man some of the events in this story sure aren’t in the right order or simply skip reality all together! Im pretty sure I killed an important character, it was acknowledged, and then the character just appeared out of nowhere right in front of me without it being mentioned. I guess I’ll see tomorrow if they are weirdly still in the story!

Anyone doing the parkour challenges? I tried one and I’m not sure if I’m just not supposed to go to it yet or what, but it was the first challenge and I couldn’t even get a bronze. Tried 3 times and it seems like it wants you to fucking nail it. 

11 hours ago, stepee said:

Anyone doing the parkour challenges? I tried one and I’m not sure if I’m just not supposed to go to it yet or what, but it was the first challenge and I couldn’t even get a bronze. Tried 3 times and it seems like it wants you to fucking nail it. 

Haven't even attempted those. I'm just focusing on the story right now.

I have done a few parkour events. I either get a silver or a DNF failure. These type of events are not my favorite so I have been skipping them mostly. 

Like Best, I have mainly stuck to the main missions. Howlers and chase sequences have deterred me from just parkouring all over the place

Yeah leveling up parkour is essential in this game. The curve isn't as steep as in the first game, the main character here is more adept in the early game at parkour than Aiden from the first game, who doesn't get really proficient until the mid/late game.

What weapons are you guys using? What. mods? I'm still early but I've already gotten some cool weapons. Had a really good katana for a bit.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I've done the few parkour challenges I've found. Gotten gold on most of them, but I imagine if you're just mainlining the story you probably don't have many stamina upgrades or even parkour perks. Some make traversal much faster, easier and safer.

Yeah I think I might just suck. I’m not doing side missions really but I am doing a lot of random challenges and finding stuff just dicking around and thought I was doing p good on my stamina for early on (160 stamina currently) and have wall running and the super leap, it doesn’t seem like I’m terrible at parkour during other parts though!

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Boy there was a lot of cutscenes today which was annoying. I'm curious how impactful my decisions have been so far. 

I just wish the cutscenes weren’t like Xbox 360 heavily compressed 720p quality, they are quite the contrast to the rest of the look! I don’t mind when it’s in-game just talking to characters and such.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I just wish the cutscenes weren’t like Xbox 360 heavily compressed 720p quality, they are quite the contrast to the rest of the look! I don’t mind when it’s in-game just talking to characters and such.

I don't see any quality differences in cutscenes. Maybe that's a PC issue? My only issue with this game is that they are trying to tell some epic story but it's extremely basic. 

My stereo receiver up and died on me, so I’ve been playing using TV speakers and they suck. Audio is important in this game, so I decided to stop playing. I was still early in it, and wouldn’t have had it finished by next Friday when Horizon Forbidden West comes out anyway. I have to get a new stereo receiver by then.

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

My stereo receiver up and died on me, so I’ve been playing using TV speakers and they suck. Audio is important in this game, so I decided to stop playing. I was still early in it, and wouldn’t have had it finished by next Friday when Horizon Forbidden West comes out anyway. I have to get a new stereo receiver by then.

TV speakers suck. 

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

I don't see any quality differences in cutscenes. Maybe that's a PC issue? My only issue with this game is that they are trying to tell some epic story but it's extremely basic. 

Its the flashbacks that I mean, they don’t appear to be renders in real time and are of quite questionable quality. If they are not compressed video then I have no idea wtf they are doing with them.