Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: "Authority Pack Free DLCs" trailer

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

But man ya did this totally bomb? It really does seem to have left a whimper upon its arrival compared to the first which was kind of a big hit. But who knows maybe it did fine and just got swallowed by elden ring hype.

It didn’t bomb. It sold 5M in the first month of release. 

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I bought it on day one for full price which I almost never do with games anymore, and I admit that I was a little disappointed with it. Part of the reason was because I bought the PS4 version which looked more like what I would expect the Switch version to look like, it’s not visually the quality of a PS4 game.

The Switch version looks better. @GameDadGrant can confirm.

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 1:17 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Patch is out with the new Balanced mode on Xbox Series X. This is the mode it should've launched with in the first place. I can't tell you exactly what's different, but it feels like it's running at 60fps and looks noticeably sharper than the performance mode. I'm not even sure why they kept the Performance mode, to tell you the truth. It's literally obsolete now.

Yes. I fired this up this morning and noticed a balanced mode option. Looked it up and the game runs at 60fps in 4K resolution...

I'm playing now and it looks great and it is 60fps. Not sure if it's true 4K though.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

They messed up on consoles though, they should have done whatever was needed to get the RT GI in as that’s the big deal in this games tech stack.

It still looks very good on the XSX in balanced mode. I was actually taken back how good the environment looks etc.

It must look glorious on your PC. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It still looks very good on the XSX in balanced mode. I was actually taken back how good the environment looks etc.

It must look glorious on your PC. 

It had the GI like Metro has on pc. So picture the environment etc in DL2 combined with the lighting you’ve seen in Meteo. It’s tied with the top dogs on pc imo.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

They messed up on consoles though

Especially last gen consoles, it looks like a Switch game on them. It pisses me off that I paid the same price for a much inferior version of the game that isn’t even the quality of the console that it’s on. The first Dying Light looks leagues better on PS4, there’s just no excuse for this shit IMO.

I’m still a little bitter about this whole situation because I traded in a lot of games to GameStop the day before the game came out to take advantage of a preorder promotion that they had for it, and then I had to go back the next day just to pick it up. Not only did I basically get squat for the games that I traded in despite the promotion, but I live in a small town with the nearest GameStop to me 15 miles away so I had to drive 30 miles round trip two days in a row just to pay for it and retrieve it. This would have been worth it had the game actually been one of the best of the year, but it was somewhat disappointing IMO and something that I could have easily waited to buy online and have delivered to me when it was $20.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s one they should have just made current gen only. They probably had to cut down IQ and such too far in order to keep the same geometry.

Yeah, they scrapped the PS3/Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light before it came out and they should have done the same with the PS4/Xbox One versions of Dying Light 2. But at the very least they should have charged less for them, because they’re inferior to the current gen console and PC versions by quite a bit. Of course all cross-gen games are somewhat inferior on last gen hardware, but not to this same degree. Like I said, the PS4 version looks like a Switch game.

I haven’t played the game since its latest patch so I don’t know how it looks on PS4 now, but if you remember back when I first played it that I said that the resolution was so low that it looked like Vaseline had been smeared on the screen. However, I decided to see what the game was like without the day one patch and the resolution was cleaner and sharper. So I decided to play the game without the patch, and there were actually some things that were different and even missing compared to having the patch. But the biggest thing was that it didn’t have the NPC audio bug where the dialogue wouldn’t work that the patch caused. Basically, the game was better without the patch and if that’s still the case with the latest patch then I will play the game without the patch when I play it again.

33 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Especially last gen consoles, it looks like a Switch game on them. It pisses me off that I paid the same price for a much inferior version of the game that wasn’t even the quality of the console that it was on. The first Dying Light looks leagues better on PS4, there’s just no excuse for this shit IMO.

Yes I’m still a little bitter about this whole situation because I traded in a lot of games to GameStop the day before the game came out to take advantage of a preorder promotion that they had for it, and then I had to go back the next day just to pick it up. Not only did I basically get squat for the games that I traded in despite the promotion, but I live in a small town with the nearest GameStop to me 15 miles away so I had to drive 30 miles round trip two days in a row just to pay for it and retrieve it. This would have been worth it had the game actually been one of the best of the year, but it was somewhat disappointing IMO and something that I could have easily waited to buy online and have delivered to me when it was $20.

That is so weird that it looked that bad. I now remember you saying this and that's a real shame what happened to you.

I played 4 hours today and the game is like a 7.5/8 out of 10 type game. Like I said, the visuals are really impressive and traversing through the world is very fun. I enjoy the combat, too. Very satisfying beating the shit out of the zombies. The story is extremely basic and the characters are just "ok". 

I'm not sure how far you got into it but you really aren't missing much here. 

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That is so weird that it looked that bad. I now remember you saying this and that's a real shame what happened to you.

I played 4 hours today and the game is like a 7.5/8 out of 10 type game. Like I said, the visuals are really impressive and traversing through the world is very fun. I enjoy the combat, too. Very satisfying beating the shit out of the zombies. The story is extremely basic and the characters are just "ok". 

I'm not sure how far you got into it but you really aren't missing much here. 

I liked what I played of the game, especially the combat and parkour. The story and characters seemed a little weak, but the gameplay was solid. However, the downgraded graphics were a big distraction for me especially after watching videos of the PC version which looks really good. It was just a little hard for me to get immersed into its open world since it just didn’t look very good. As you know I usually don’t care about graphics that much, but with a game like this I want it to look at least as good as it can on the hardware that it’s being played on which it doesn’t. It quite literally looks like a Switch game, and that makes it a little hard to get into since for a game like this the graphics are a bit more important to immerse you into its world.

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

I liked what I played of the game, especially the combat and parkour. The story and characters seemed a little weak, but the gameplay was solid. However, the downgraded graphics were a big distraction for me especially after watching videos of the PC version which looks really good. It was just a little hard for me to get engrossed into its open world since it just didn’t look very good. As you know I usually don’t care about graphics that much, but with a game like this I want it to look at least as good as it can on the hardware that it’s being played on which it doesn’t. It quite literally looks like a Switch game, and that makes it a little hard to get into.

That's inexcusable like you said. Well you have plenty of games to play so don't sweat it. 

41 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, they scrapped the PS3/Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light before it came out and they should have done the same with the PS4/Xbox One versions of Dying Light 2. But at the very least they should have charged less for them, because they’re inferior to the current gen console and PC versions by quite a bit. Of course all cross-gen games are somewhat inferior on last gen hardware, but not to this same degree. Like I said, the PS4 version looks like a Switch game.

I haven’t played the game since its latest patch so I don’t know how it looks on PS4 now, but if you remember back when I first played it that I said that the resolution was so low that it looked like Vaseline had been smeared on the screen. However, I decided to see what the game was like without the day one patch and the resolution was cleaner and sharper. So I decided to play the game without the patch, and there were actually some things that were different and even missing compared to having the patch. But the biggest thing was that it didn’t have the NPC audio bug where the dialogue wouldn’t work that the patch caused. Basically, the game was better without the patch and if that’s still the case with the latest patch then I will play the game without the patch when I play it again.

Might be better to just wait a couple years and play it then on ps5 if it comes with a free upgrade. It’s a really fun game when running well, so hope you get to play it decently.

9 hours ago, stepee said:

Might be better to just wait a couple years and play it then on ps5 if it comes with a free upgrade. It’s a really fun game when running well, so hope you get to play it decently.

Discussing the game got me in the mood to play it again, so I decided to start it today and see if the latest patch had improved it and it did quite a bit. It actually looks like a PS4 game now. :o Everything about it just looks and feels more complete and polished, it obviously released in an unfinished state and thankfully they improved it since then. The resolution is clearer and sharper now so it doesn’t look like Vaseline is smeared over the screen anymore, and the NPCs and zombies in the distance don’t move jerky and jittery like before. It doesn’t have a janky unfinished look and feel to it anymore, so I can actually enjoy it now and I plan on playing it to completion.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Discussing the game got me in the mood to play it again, so I decided to start it today and see if the latest patch had improved it and it did quite a bit. It actually looks like a PS4 game now. :o Everything about it just looks and feels more complete and polished now, it obviously released in an unfinished state and thankfully they improved it since then. The resolution is clearer and sharper now so it doesn’t look like Vaseline is smeared over the screen anymore, and the NPCs and zombies in the distance don’t move jerky and jittery like before. It doesn’t have a janky unfinished look and feel to it anymore, so I can actually enjoy it now and plan on finishing it.

Nice! Glad they went back to it. It received some patches pretty quick on pc that definitely made it better than originally too. It was also quite buggy but Ithink they cleaned it up.

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Discussing the game got me in the mood to play it again, so I decided to start it today and see if the latest patch had improved it and it did quite a bit. It actually looks like a PS4 game now. :o Everything about it just looks and feels more complete and polished, it obviously released in an unfinished state and thankfully they improved it since then. The resolution is clearer and sharper now so it doesn’t look like Vaseline is smeared over the screen anymore, and the NPCs and zombies in the distance don’t move jerky and jittery like before. It doesn’t have a janky unfinished look and feel to it anymore, so I can actually enjoy it now and I plan on playing it to completion.

That's fantastic news! 

21 hours ago, stepee said:

Nice! Glad they went back to it. It received some patches pretty quick on pc that definitely made it better than originally too.

19 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's fantastic news! 

Yeah, I didn’t expect them to improve the PS4 version as much as they did. It looks a lot better now compared to how it did at launch. I made it to Villedor, and the city looks really good now. Everything is clean and clear, and I can see far off into the distance. The colors pop more, and the lighting is great. I’m actually somewhat impressed with the graphics now. The game currently looks like how I expected it to look at launch. It looked like a Switch game then, but looks like an actual PS4 game now.

• Halal 1

On 9/16/2022 at 10:34 AM, best3444 said:

the game is like a 7.5/8 out of 10 type game. Like I said, the visuals are really impressive and traversing through the world is very fun. I enjoy the combat, too. Very satisfying beating the shit out of the zombies. The story is extremely basic and the characters are just "ok".

I played it a lot today, and I’m really enjoying it now that it looks better and doesn’t have any bugs or jank which it had quite a bit of at launch. The combat and parkour are really good, and it has a good skill tree too. The story and characters have been decent as well, nothing too compelling but still entertaining enough to drive the gameplay. The city is well designed, and fun to explore and traverse. There’s a lot of side content to do that’s rewarding. It’s been a pretty solid first person open world action adventure game so far, I would give it about an 8.5 out of 10 at this point.

• Halal 1

29 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I played it a lot today, and I’m really enjoying it now that it looks better and doesn’t have any bugs or jank which it had quite a bit of at launch. The combat and parkour are really good, and it has a good skill tree too. The story and characters have been decent as well, nothing too compelling but still entertaining enough to drive the gameplay. The city is well designed, and fun to explore and traverse. There’s a lot of side content to do that’s rewarding. It’s been a pretty solid first person open world action adventure game so far, I would give it about an 8.5 out of 10 at this point.

Glad you're enjoying it finally. Oddly enough, the title music and the music in the game is awful imo.

You never care about any character so if you really enjoy the parkour and combat that's 90% of the game. I hope you continue to have fun. 

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

the title music and the music in the game is awful imo.

Yeah, I somewhat agree. The music is definitely one of the weaker aspects of it IMO. I’m really into music, so music is somewhat important to me in games. I find a lot of music in games to be acceptable, it’s usually ok but doesn’t really stand out. Then there are games that have really good music such as Valkyrie Elysium for example, I just played the demo of it and the music is fantastic. But then there are games that have bad unfitting music that can hurt the experience a little which is the case with Dying Light 2. Some of it’s ok, but there’s some that’s pretty bad.

This is actually a little surprising since the game is developed by Techland who also developed Dead Island, and Dead Island has great music. I think that the first Dying Light has some decent music as well, but I don’t remember it standing out as much as the music in Dead Island. So it’s disappointing that the music in Dying Light 2 isn’t very good, better music would have definitely elevated the overall experience.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, I somewhat agree. The music is definitely one of the weaker aspects of it IMO. I’m really into music, so music is somewhat important to me in games. I find a lot of music in games to be acceptable, it’s usually ok but doesn’t really stand out. Then there are games that have really good music such as Valkyrie Elysium for example, I just played the demo of it and the music is fantastic. But then there are games that have bad unfitting music that can hurt the experience a little which is the case with Dying Light 2. Some of it’s ok, but there’s some that’s pretty bad. This is actually a little surprising since the game is developed by Techland who also developed Dead Island, and Dead Island has great music. I think that the first Dying Light has some decent music as well, but I don’t remember it standing out as much as the music in Dead Island. So it’s disappointing that the music in Dying Light 2 isn’t very good, better music would have definitely elevated the overall experience.

When I'm at the title screen and hear that music it makes feel depressed and uncomfortable. I just don't like the entire vibe of the game but the parkour system and combat are very good. I despise and don't care about any character so I'm not emotionally involved with it. That's just me, though.

I only checked it out because I was bored. I'm just happy for you that you can actually play the game now with cleaned up visuals on your PS4.

1 hour ago, HardAct said:

SO STUPID!

I have this game BRAND NEW installed on the Series X and haven't even fired it up! I loved the first one!

You're not missing out on much unless you're a huge fan. From most reviews, even negative ones, they claim it's better than part 1. 

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

When I'm at the title screen and hear that music it makes feel depressed and uncomfortable. I just don't like the entire vibe of the game but the parkour system and combat are very good. I despise and don't care about any character so I'm not emotionally involved with it. That's just me, though.

Some of the in-game music isn’t very good either, and just doesn’t fit in the game. As for the vibe, it’s of course meant to be dark and depressing given the theme of the game. Although the somber mood of it can make it a little draining to play for long periods of time. There haven’t been too many major characters that I’ve met in the game yet, but I do somewhat like Hakon.

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You're not missing out on much unless you're a huge fan. From most reviews, even negative ones, they claim it's better than part 1. 

He said that he loved the first game, so telling him that he’s not missing out on much by not playing Dying Light 2 would be like telling you that you’re not missing out on much by not playing The Last of Us Part II. :p

Based on what I’ve played of the game so far I still kind of like the first one a little more, but that could change as I get further.

6 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Some of the in-game music isn’t very good either, and just doesn’t fit in the game. As for the vibe, it’s of course meant to be dark and depressing given the theme of the game. Although the somber mood of it can make it a little draining to play for long periods of time. There haven’t been too many major characters that I’ve met in the game yet, but I do somewhat like Hakon.

He said that he loved the first game, so telling him that he’s not missing out on much by not playing Dying Light 2 would be like telling you that you’re not missing out on much by not playing The Last of Us Part II. :p

Based on what I’ve played of the game so far I still kind of like the first one a little more, but that could change as I get further.

Lol, I realized that after I posted it. Most reviews say it's better than part 1 even though part 2 has issues. @HardAct if you enjoyed part 1 then I'm pretty positive you'll like part 2. 

I understand that the music and vibe is supposed to be scary/dark but that is a big turn off for me these days. Also, Hakon isn't too bad but not great either. The characters get even worse as you progress. I read the boss fight and ending are extremely laughable. I won't say anymore. 

It's a 7/10 type game. Nothing more than that. I know @stepee loved this but I don't think there has ever been a game he hasn’t liked haha.

23 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Based on what I’ve played of it so far I don’t think that it really deserves anything less than an 8 myself, it’s a quality game with a big well designed world, solid gameplay mechanics and lots of content.

That's fair. Stepee beat it and gave it an 8.5/10. Granted, he was playing it on a high end machine so the visuals were phenomenal. That elevates the game believe it or not. Except for you of course 😘 

14 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's fair. Stepee beat it and gave it an 8.5/10. Granted, he was playing it on a high end machine so the visuals were phenomenal. That elevates the game believe it or not. Except for you of course 😘 

A series x is pretty much a High-end machine now-a-days too man. I know what you mean though as I have always prefered PC gaming but with a controller most games! I still consider my PC High -End though the plan these past few years has always been to replace it when the 4080Ti is readily available. That's still gonna be some time from now. So my I7 9700k/32Gigs DDr4 3200/Zotec 2080Ti is my "HIGH-END" machine. My next PC will be a BEAST! Starting to get itchy fingers though. Was checking out a $1099 3090Ti the day before yesterday....lol

35 minutes ago, HardAct said:

A series x is pretty much a High-end machine now-a-days too man.

I played it on my XSX and it has a new balanced mode where it runs 60fps in 4K. It looks terrific and I didn't notice any bugs in the hours I played. They really patched things up and it's a perfect time to jump in to play.