Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: "Authority Pack Free DLCs" trailer

Game Information

Game Title: Dying Light 2 Stay Human

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Feb 4, 2022)
  • PC (Feb 4, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 4, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 4, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 4, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Feb 4, 2022)

Developer: Techland

Publisher: Square Enix

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 76 average - 70% recommended

Critic Reviews

Game Informer - 9.5 / 10

Techland has crafted a monster of a sequel that is bigger and better in almost every way.

GameGrin - 9.5 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is a great sequel to a pretty good game. With fun traversal mechanics, combat encounters, and agonising choices in the story, it could be very much worth the playtime.

NoobFeed - 95 / 100

Dying Light 2 starts off running and doesn’t slow down, it’s a truly magnificent adventure.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 94 / 100

‎A great role-playing game, which bets on a very careful narrative, unique mechanics of navigation and combat, and a terrifying atmosphere. Dying Light 2 is a colossal game that will become a reference of the genre, in terms of the player's decisions.‎

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5

Dying Light 2 is a bigger and bolder sequel that improves upon the original in every way. Not only does it have one of the most enjoyable traversal systems in any game ever, but it also provides players with interesting characters and quests to break up all the running.

BaziCenter - Persian - 9 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is a title that has made significant progress in all respects.

But Why Tho? - 9 / 10

Its combat is as brutal as one would hope while bringing the mechanical density and numerous options to engage any type of player. Its narrative is gripping with veins of humanity throughout that make it nearly impossible not to get invested in it. While sometimes feeling a bit sluggish or as though they just need a tiny bit more tuning, its new mechanics have brought new life to the series in a monumental way.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Dying Light 2: Stay Human is a bold, doubling-down of all the elements that made the first game great, while also making ambitious strides in its open-world gameplay and branching narrative elements.

COGconnected - 90 / 100

I’ve loved my time with Dying Light 2. While it undoubtedly could use a patch or two, the foundation that’s been laid for the next five years is solid.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is a more than worthy follow up and worth the wait. Whilst not necessarily reinventing the wheel, it excels in being one of the best versions of the open-world formula we’ve known for some time. With silky-smooth parkour and combat mechanics, and plenty of things to see and do, I highly recommend the plunge into The City. Where there’s slight polishing to still be done and the story at times leaves a bit to be desired, shining moments and performances make it all the more worthwhile, standing as a stronger entry than its predecessor. This has become my favourite free roam zombie game to date and has me constantly itching to jump back in and tool around some more in its playground. Not bloody bad, Techland.

DualShockers - 9 / 10

There’s no doubt about it, Dying Light 2: Stay Human is a sequel of epic proportions. Everything fans loved about the original title is still very much present, but now with a bigger story, new features, and a vast open-world filled with areas to explore and loot.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 9 / 10

Dying Light 2: Stay Human is an excelent title that combines all its elements with exceptionally

GBAtemp - 9 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human lives up to the expectations by delivering an engaging gameplay in a detailed open world complimented by the series’ characteristic parkour mechanic that neatly blends in the exploration and combat.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Combining engaging combat, some of the most thrilling traversal you’ll find in a video game, and a truly rich narrative, there’s very little to find fault with in Dying Light 2: Stay Human.

Hey Poor Player - 4.5 / 5

It’s been a long road to release for Dying Light 2, and at times its future seemed uncertain. However, having braved the ruins of Villedor for this review, I’m happy to report that Techland’s long-awaited follow-up to their survival horror RPG is a smashing success. With its mix of gripping narrative, hard-hitting combat, and exhilarating exploration, Dying Light 2 is a spectacular sequel that breathes new life into the franchise.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

Dying Light 2: Stay Human has been a long time coming, and thankfully it's worth the wait. I loved the time I spent exploring Villedor; finding random events and scaling buildings took me back to the old days of Assassins Creed II. While I wish I wasn't being timed on the occasions I went into a dark building or decided to explore at night, it's a minor issue to overlook when most of the game is so brilliantly executed and fun to play.

Slant Magazine - 4.5 / 5

Dying Light 2 is constantly introducing new abilities through its missions, and in such clever ways that that players become naturally acclimated to them. Consistently, the world here overwhelms us in lockstep with the dazzlingly dense gameplay. This is game about choice and consequences, and it rewards the player for exploring and engaging with the City’s environments. Unlike the derivative setting of last year’s Far Cry 6, the City is a character of its own, alive with lived-in detail and a refinement of the use of environmental storytelling. And it’s all the more incredible for making us feel as if we can change it for the better.

TrustedReviews - 4.5 / 5

I’ve had a lot of fun with Dying Light 2, mainly dues to its fantastic parkour platforming and engaging story that can be shaped by your in-game decisions. Those hoping for a terrifying zombie slasher will likely be disappointed, but the thrill of escaping a zombie horde by hopping from rooftop to rooftop ensures this is still an exhilarating action game.

Atomix - Spanish - 88 / 100

Dying Light 2 is a fantastic title that manages to improve almost every aspect of the original game. It is one of the most ambitious and beautiful open world games I have ever played, and if you were a fan of the first game, then you should definitely give this one a try. Not only does it blend combat, exploration and storytelling in a superb way, but it also delivers an unforgettable experience that will remain in my heart for years to come.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 8.8 / 10

Dying Light 2 is no longer the surprise the first entry was, but it manages to enhance the formula that turned it great and delivers a story that is both action-packed and fun.

Xbox Achievements - 86%

You may not want to spend the 500 hours that Techland suggested is possible playing Dying Light 2, completing every little thing, but there's easily a good 60 hours or so of story and side activities to partake in.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 8.5 / 10

Techland has managed to create something more important than just another well-written video game. Behold, a convincing open world that encourages you to discover its secrets and provides lots of fun, regardless of what you’re doing. Dying Light 2 isn’t perfect, but it perfectly makes up for its few flaws. A sequel better than the original!

GamingTrend - 85 / 100

Dying Light 2 Stay Human may begin like the shuffling corpses you run into during the day, but evolves into the ferocious horde you encounter in the shadows of night. With an engaging gameplay loop of parkour and combat, the exploration of Villedor is something you’ll enjoy for hours on end, and with up to three friends at that. Yeah, it may take a little bit to get hooked, but once you’re infected, it’ll be all you can do to stay human.

Geek Culture - 8.5 / 10

Improving upon its predecessor in all aspects, Dying Light 2 presents a compelling argument that we humans are the biggest threat, even when the undead roams the world.

LevelUp - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

‎In the end, Techland decided not to risk more than the account with ‎‎Dying Light 2: Stay Human‎‎, with the pros and cons that this could mean. The Polish studio decided to take the already established foundation and take it to the next level, which resulted in one of the best zombie-themed games there can be. Within the niche that corresponds to it, ‎‎Dying Light 2‎‎ is a fun experience, full of emotion that will undoubtedly delight fans of the genre and those who want to live one of those zombie nightmares that they have read or seen in other media. ‎‎Dying Light 2‎‎ surpasses its predecessor and although it is not perfect and is limited in different sections, it manages to integrate all its parts properly without compromising its proposal, being coherent with itself and that is why it is a good video game.‎

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 85 / 100

Dying Light 2 was a game I loved in general.

Multiplayer First - 8.5 / 10

While Dying Light 2 improves on its predecessor in nearly every way, occasional bugs hamper the experience and a few of the gameplay changes are ones I could have done without. Still, if you’re someone who’s been looking forward to the game, nothing that I experienced in my nearly 30 hours with the game was a complete deal breaker, and in fact I enjoyed my time quite a bit. If you’re someone that’s been on the fence, or perhaps mildly interested in Dying Light 2, I definitely think it’s an experience that’s worth your time, and one that stands out amongst the crowded zombie genre. If you were a fan of the original and have been eagerly anticipating Dying Light 2, it’s an easy day one purchase, and one that delivers on every promise that Techland set for it.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Delivering a huge improvement on the first title, but lacking with new features, Dying Light 2 Stay Human is quite fun, brutal, rewarding and a game of exceptional quality when it comes to the open world. Minor issues still exist here, but Techland successfully manages to live up to the hype surrounding the game.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

Techland returns back to the zombie world, and further refines and expands the unique combination of parkour and zombie apocalypse. Now with a focus on player decisions in every direction.

XboxEra - 8.5 / 10

Dying Light 2 is a messy, brilliant game. For all my issues with it, there is no denying just how fun it is to play. Some of the best movement in a first-person title is matched by solid combat and choices that helped me shape the narrative how I wanted. It doesn’t always hit, but boy, when it does it hits hard.

PC Gamer - 84 / 100

A underwhelming story but a massive, exciting sandbox of parkour and kinetic combat.

Marooners' Rock - 8.3 / 10

Techland’s game Dying Light 2 provides an entertaining and satisfying continuation. While the game has its flaws in some areas such as the story, it shouldn't hold you back from checking out the game itself and its multiplayer.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.2 / 10

A good action game full of content and potential, but it would benefit from a vigorous technical smoothing.

3DNews - Russian - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2 doesn't bring the revolution to the genre, but it is a fine zombie action with a truly human face.

AusGamers - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human will divide fans, as the first game did. With that there’s no question, but for mine it is an incredibly rewarding game that has the best parkour ever seen or experienced in games, and the playground to match it. Plus the zombies. So many (awesome) zombies. On Hard I still found it a little on the easy side, but the length and depth of missions and the world more than made up for it. And if you let the game bite you, as I did, it’ll grab and transform you for more than the next little while.

Daily Star - 4 / 5

A game that leaves you with a constant but strangely addictive edge-of-the-seat sense of stress like a strong horror movie.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2 does so much so well. You never know what you are going to get when you venture out into Villedor.

Gamer Escape - 8 / 10

The story here pulled me in quickly, and is well worth paying attention to. Exploration with parkour is just plain fun. The game doesn't feel like it's forcing the player to explore and complete every marker on the map, but rather giving the player options for how they want to approach the game. The survival aspects aren't overwhelmingly hardcore, but feel tuned to provide the perfect amount of tension.

GamesFinest - German - 8 / 10

Okay, admittedly - Dying Light 2 might look like the next generic open-world game with a zombie theme that is doomed to end up on the pile of shame of many gamers. And this is completely unjustified, because Techland's sequel manages to stand out from the crowd of its genre colleagues, especially with its atmospheric game world and the at least equally fun gameplay mix. While disturbing zombie hordes groan for blood on one side, we find playing children and blooming flower gardens on the other. Techland stylistically succeeds in creating an immersive and coherent image of a post-apocalypse that can be so gloomy and dirty at the same time, but also hopeful. The run-down open-world metropolis has many small as well as larger stories to tell, which we were only too happy to listen to off the beaten path. Of course, Techland's vision of an open game world also suffers from some well-known problems: Bugs, game crashes and the obligatory icon clutter are issues that genre fans are probably familiar with by now. Nevertheless, the bottom line is a fun and immersive zombie adventure that was able to raise our adrenaline level to unimagined heights more than once.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

While Dying Light 2 may not feel like a massive step up, it's still tons of fun, and the story is a powerful and engaging one, vastly improved from the original.

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

2022 is looking bright if ambitious games like Dying Light 2, a title that goes back to the tried-but-tired zombie world trope, can reignite your love for narrative-packed and action-laced open-world games all over again.

MonsterVine - 4 / 5

Dying Light 2 might be more of the same, but that doesn’t stop it from being heaps of fun.

Niche Gamer - 8 / 10

While Dying Light 2 Stay Human does more than live up to its promises, it also still falls into the same traps that are found in every open-world game. It can be an exhausting grind to do everything that the game offers, but anyone who can let go of this compulsive urge and focus on the task at hand will see Dying Light 2 shine at its best.

PPE.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2 is a safe and at the same time very good continuation. The creators do not risk, they have to prepare several updates and it will undoubtedly be an excellent proposition for the most loyal supporters of the world, which was first proposed in 2015.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is a solid step-up from Dying Light in almost every way. Still, its increased emphasis on storytelling feels entirely misguided to the point where it's narratively worse than Dying Light. Despite this, Dying Light 2 has fantastic traversal, satisfying combat, and some great quest design and variety that makes it Techland's best.

Saving Content - 4 / 5

Gone is the grit and limited color palette that set the grim tone for Dying Light, but the brighter aesthetic provides hope in an otherwise hopeless world. Dying Light 2 Stay Human gets so much right, and feels so much better to play that I can’t help but get excited at all the things I have yet to do. Techland has made a more compelling, complex, and well-paced game where pushing the player to make decisions without a known outcome is easily its best feature. While it has a familiar open-world design we’ve seen before, it’s one that I’m eager to return to. Dying Light 2 Stay Human has the best melee combat and parkour in the business, and is now the most satisfying of the series.

Sirus Gaming - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2: Stay Human largely improves upon the original in every way, and it will have you enveloped in the dying light of the City again and again as you glide, climb, and jump from roof to roof in search of the next thing to explore.

Total Gaming Network - 4 / 5

Despite a healthy dose of jank, Dying Light 2 Stay Human manages to come out as a worthy follow-up to one of the most popular open-world zombie slaying games out there. Fans of the original won't want to pass this one up.

TrueAchievements - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2: Stay Human is more than a sequel — it’s an evolution that keeps everything that is integral to the franchise intact, but builds on it with enough engaging content that it’s incredibly hard to stop playing.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

Overall, though, I enjoyed my time with Dying Light 2 and found it an entertaining open-world experience that I want to keep playing beyond the 30 or so hours I put into the main storyline. Techland has plans to support Dying Light 2 with five years of post-launch DLC, which is a pledge I’m certain it will deliver given its resume with the original. My hope, then, is that its future content doubles down on the intrigue of the new choice/consequence branching dialog but delivers better and more varied questing to make the unfolding of these stories more engaging.

VG247 - 4 / 5

Dying Light 2 is messy and uneven. It’s also unique, exhilarating, and just plain fun to play, with one of the best settings in recent memory – despite the nagging feeling that the game could, and should, be more than what it is.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is another exhilarating parkour and zombie-pummeling playground from Techland, although at times, the seams holding it all together are a bit obvious. Given the game's glitches, minor gameplay annoyances, and crudely bisected story and world, reports of behind-the-scenes issues feel all-too-plausible. That said, the foundation here is rock solid, and Techland has proven they're capable long-term builders, so I'm confident Dying Light 2's embers can be stoked to a full flame in time.

We Got This Covered - 4 / 5

With a significantly improved movement system, an engrossing, branching narrative, and an open world that's consistently engaging, Dying Light 2 was well worth the extended wait.

Windows Central - 4 / 5

Initially, I was concerned Dying Light 2 wouldn't find its own voice in a world crammed with shallow open worlds designed for busy work rather than fun, but the more I played, the more I found that wasn't the case. Dying Light 2 truly shines with its high-stakes nighttime gameplay, which turns the modern and tired open-world formula on its head. While some of the writing isn't the best and next-gen console performance is a bit disappointing, Dying Light 2 offers a tight experience that builds on the original.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

Dying Light 2 is a good game that happens to be the long-awaited sequel to a great game. There's still a ton of fun to be had, and the exploration alone is worth the price of admission. At the same time, it's bigger without necessarily being better. I had a lot of fun with it, but I can't help but feel more positive toward the original. If you're looking for a fresh new world to smash zombies in and you're burned out on Harran, then Dying Light 2 will scratch that itch well.

GamePro - German - 78 / 100

Dying Light 2 is a fantastic game in its best moments, but leaves an enormous amount of potential as the playing time increases.

KnowTechie - 7.8 / 10

I’m going out on a limb to say Dying Light 2 isn’t for everyone. There is a bit of frustration you need to initially power through.

The overall gameplay loop requires a bit of self-sufficiency if you want to get the most out of your experience. Once you can take your time in the night/dark cycles of the game, there is a lot more that opens up, but that also requires a ton of backtracking.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.6 / 10

Dying Light 2: Stay Human is a title that struggles to bear the weight of its ambitions, as a result of a development path that in all probability turned out to be bumpier than expected.

ComingSoon.net - 7.5 / 10

Dying Light 2 doesn’t reach its full potential and is partially betrayed by Techland’s inability to ship a game that isn’t riddled with bugs but still manages to fulfill enough of the fantasy associated with being a free-runner during the apocalypse.

Destructoid - 7.5 / 10

Dying Light 2 is safe in some respects, and bold in others; like its propensity to lean into some arcadey notions. The sandbox is the true heart of Dying Light 2. Not the characters, or the story, but the mere act of running around like an idiot, whether you’re doing errands or not.

GameWatcher - 7.5 / 10

Dying Light 2 was my first contact with the series and it can certainly be an exhilarating open-world game. Its gorgeous city, intense chases, fluid parkour, and visceral, meaty combat are well worth experiencing. Although they never completely overshadow its accomplishments, boring gear, repetitive side missions, and a story that never finds its focus do, unfortunately, keep it away from greatness. But, if you keep some of your expectations in check, all these missteps can easily be drowned in an ocean of freshly-cut zombie limbs and peaceful paragliding.

JVL - French - 15 / 20

After six years of waiting and promising, the final version of Dying Light: Stay Human unfortunately does not look like what we had seen and foreshadowed a very great potential game.

WellPlayed - 7.5 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human could have been one of the highlights of the year, but a disappointing story, some frustrating design choices and performance issues mean it doesn’t cash in on its potential.

GGRecon - 7 / 10

Dying Light 2 does little to shake up the open-world formula, because it could be so much more, especially after the initial reveals promised so much. With that said, if zombie decapitations, sick parkour moves, and true next-gen graphics are what you're looking for then Dying Light 2 certainly fits the bill.

GameMAG - Russian - 7 / 10

As with the original game, Dying Light 2 Stay Human will find its share of audience, while the teams at Techland will continue to expand their vision. The solid base is already there, and it would be interesting to see how the game will turn out in 5 years time.

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5

Dying Light 2 offers a great open world playground for zombie survival, but lacks an impactful story or meaningful choices.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is often let down by clumsy writing, unbalanced progression, clunky combat, and technical issues, but its excellent parkour, engaging choice and consequence mechanics, and the expertly realized threat of the Infected make for a fun open world free-running romp nonetheless.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

This is one zombie title worth exploring; just know it’s not the diamond it should be.

IGN - 7 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is an ambitious zombie action adventure that's packed with top-notch parkour, an awesome open world, and every painful bug in the book.

Inverse - 7 / 10

"When the platforming actually works, Dying Light 2 is an absolute blast. Chaining together a high-flying hang glider maneuver, then grappling off the edge of a building before executing a perfectly timed series of jumps makes you feel like a superhero. It’s just too bad that more often than not, something will go wrong and you’ll fall to your death instead."

MMORPG.com - 7 / 10

Let's get one thing straight: I do enjoy playing Dying Light 2 Stay Human. The story is great and warrants additional playthroughs thanks to multiple endings, the combat feels awesome, and there's a ton of stuff to do in this sprawling city (500 hours worth, apparently). It just needs to clean up the technical issues

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

A little rough around the edges, especially in terms of the storytelling, but the interminable wait for this open world zombie sequel has been worth it

PC Invasion - 7 / 10

Dying Light 2 still retains many of the key factors that made the original enjoyable and exhilarating. Unfortunately, it's also bogged down by technical issues, janky mechanics, and a restrictive save system that prevents you from readily seeing outcomes.

Prima Games - 7 / 10

After completing Dying Light 2, I was left with conflicting emotions. On one hand, the moment-to-moment gameplay is exciting, tense, and filled with a fluid parkour system, while the main narrative lacks in almost every area.

Push Square - 7 / 10

Dying Light 2 is a super solid follow-up to the 2015 original, building upon its fantastic gameplay loop with new traversal options for even more parkour fun. It's extremely disappointing, however, that the narrative and open world promises Techland made in the lead up to launch haven't been realised. Your choices don't have nearly as much impact as we would like, and the map is much more rigid than pre-release footage would have you believe. Still, Dying Light 2 feels awesome and empowering to play, and that can go a long way.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5

Dying Light 2 is good in spite of struggles.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

Though there are moments of joy to be found, they’re punctuated by fetch quests and odd collision detection. Fans of the original will no doubt find fun in a return to the world, but for everyone else, you might want to wait a bit longer before you take a bite.

TechRaptor - 7 / 10

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is an entertaining game with enjoyable characters and fun parkour elements. Unfortunately a lot doesn't hold up to scrutiny. If what you're after is more Dying Light though, then this is your game.

The Outerhaven Productions - 3.5 / 5

Techland has a hit on its hands with Dying Light 2! While the game has been a long time coming, it is a fun, enjoyable game that features well-written characters and great world-building, along with some amazing parkour. However, the combat can be repetitive, voice lines constantly repeat and there’s a few concerns regarding the bugs I encountered. Other than that, Dying Light 2 is solid.

TheGamer - 3.5 / 5

Dying Light 2 is a game with a troubled development, and unfortunately, it shows. I know how much the first game grew significantly over the years with patches and content updates, and I can only hope that this one gets as much support, because it still needs a lot of work before it becomes the game we were first promised back in 2018, if ever.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Dying Light 2 expands and refines a formula Techland has been peddling since its breakout success with Dead Island. This sequel learns a lot from modern open world video games, its massive, zombie-infested sandbox rarely feeling empty, especially as you breeze through city blocks with a Mirror's Edge-like finesse. However, Dying Light 2 inherits the same problems - a dull story, tiresome combat, and character progression that's a tad too sluggish.

VideoGamer - 7 / 10

Indeed, if, like me, you have a weakness for the zombie-hued, and for the sway and flail of first-person platforming, then Dying Light 2 is easy to recommend.

Game Revolution - 6.5 / 10

While Dying Light 2 does a lot right with its gameplay and new-gen presentation, it’s still a far cry from zombie gaming greatness. The weak story, uninspired mission design, limitations on initial player skills, and bugs let it down in a big way. Sure, a lot of this will be easy to ignore when fighting the undead as a four-man squad, but “it’s fun with friends” is an excuse that can only get you so far.

Washington Post - 65 / 100

Unfortunately, though, the narrative is a black hole of missed opportunities, surfacing time and again to remind players of what’s missing from the experience even as they try to forget and just enjoy what does work. If only “Stay Human” could navigate its story of post-apocalyptic morality with the same deftness as its assured, acrobatic protagonist.

Digital Trends - 3 / 5

With a slow plot and uninteresting characters, Dying Light 2: Stay Human's few redeeming qualities are what sets the franchise apart from other zombie games out there.

EGM - 3 / 5

Dying Light 2 Stay Human’s enhanced parkour and intricate level design make for some of the most fun you can have moving through a video game world, and the hand-to-hand combat is simple but effective. Most impressive is the sense of scale and gravity that makes leaping between rooftops feel so death-defying. Unfortunately, its story wallows in post-apocalyptic clichés and misanthropy, and its choice-based narrative often drops its most interesting plot threads.

GameSpot - 6 / 10

Dying Light 2 is a perplexing game. Its story and characters are headache-inducing, and it appears to lack polish in many areas. But even a dozen hours after I rolled credits, I've found myself going back to the game to do another parkour challenge, rummage through another abandoned science lab, or just see if I can get from Point A to Point B without ever hitting the ground.

Gamepur - 6 / 10

To some degree, this feels like an early access game in everything but the release schedule and pricing. It has its core down. It knows exactly what it wants to be. However, everything around that needs more polish before it’s ready for primetime. So, even though I didn’t really like my time with the game, I guess I believe in Dying Light 2? I truly think I’ll look back in a year or two — when memories have faded — and think past me was dead wrong for giving it such a low score.

PCGamesN - 6 / 10

Bugs, repetitive side content, bad storytelling, and the unfulfilled promise of its choice and consequence system leave Dying Light 2 unable to capitalise on the strength of its excellent parkour and combat mechanics.

Stevivor - 6 / 10

Dying Light 2 faces two big issues at present: technical glitches that can be fixed with a patch, and design choices that will be harder to deal with.

VGC - 3 / 5

Dying Light 2: Stay Human feels like it lost its direction somewhere along the way. It begins as an interesting zombie game wherein the threat feels tangible, your character feels weak, and the world feels primed for a dynamic story. However, the further you get into the game, a lot of its early ideas feel sidelined for a generic zombie plot, uninspiring combat, and the absence of any kind of danger.

Game Rant - 2.5 / 5

Open world zombie Dying Light 2 from Techland nails its parkour traversal mechanics, but unfortunately gets little else right.

Paste Magazine - 5 / 10

Anybody familiar with Dying Light's design can see how bad an idea this is from miles off, and obviously part of the team did because this is the exact moment that the game introduces fast travel. But it doesn't matter. It was in Breath of the Wild. And that's one of the best games ever made.

Pure Xbox - 5 / 10

Dying Light 2 is a pretty disappointing sequel to one of our all-time favourite zombie games. The parkour and combat here feels slightly off-point, light, floaty and unsatisfying. The first game's signature tense melee encounters feel diluted in a setting that gives you far too much space to catch your breath and night-time sorties lack the straight-up fear factor that made them so appealing first time around. With a lacklustre campaign that offers little to enjoy in the way of drama, some serious performance issues - which we hope will be patched day one - and an enormous world stuffed full of basic busywork padding, this is one zombie apocalypse we're finding quite hard to recommend.

Rely On Horror - 4.5 / 10

Parkour your way backing into the zombie fray with Dying Light 2: Stay Human! Was this long delayed game worth the wait?

Guardian - 2 / 5

If you've played a zombie game in the past decade, this mishmash of tattered post-apocalyptic stereotypes will feel all too familiar

ACG - Wait for Sale

Video Review - Quote not available

Console Creatures - Recommended

Dying Light 2 Stay Human adds more than enough fresh content to keep it feeling like a necessary follow-up. Aside from a tepid story, you'll find a rewarding experience that will appeal to those coming back for seconds and the newly initiated.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Techland's vast blockbuster buckles under its own ambition and lacks in innovation, but makes up for it with outstanding parkour and combat.

GameXplain - Loved

Polygon - Unscored

Dying Light 2’s appeal is, ultimately, more game than story.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Some will find it agreeably smooth, I’m sure, but you can only sand so much off of chaos before it becomes ordinary. Come the real zombie apocalypse we should all be so lucky to face a world this trudgingly well behaved.

Skill Up - Unscored

The Escapist - Unscored

gameranx - Unscored

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I was about to pre order this if the reviews were good. Looks like it's wait for a sale time. Which is fine, because I'm buying Horizon FW, Elden Ring, and GT7 in the next month anyway. 

The vast majority of reviews definitely aren't anywhere near "bad", but they're in the "wait for a sale" range.

34 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Shaping up to be the perfect @Phaseknox game

If the story was really good and you played as a female protagonist then maybe, but the story and main character unfortunately seem to be disappointing. The combat and parkour seem to deliver, but I need a little more than that if I’m going to buy it on day one for full price. So I’m going to wait and get it when it’s cheaper, and buy Horizon Forbidden West on day one instead.

• Sad 1

Sounds like a couple of the core issues with the first game are still there.  I'd say wait for a sale if you're unsure. Price will probably drop in a month anyway. Hopefully they can fix the technical jank with a patch. The first game had a few bugs early on, but these guys support their game do much the game runs practically flawlessly now. I expect the same with this one. Still getting mine day one... I don't give a shit about any story criticisms... I don't play these games for the story.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic and Digital Foundry PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S comparison posted
23 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Those modes are kind of disappointing.  You gotta drop all the way down to 1080p on PS5/SX to get 60fps and no RT?  

Wtf. That's awful. I'll play at 30 with better visuals. I hope they do a good job patching this because this game is very interesting to me. 

Damn, that console performance (and DF still praising it) makes me more excited to see what it looks like on pc now. Reviews are a little lower than I thought but nothing too bad or unexpected I’m reading. Def doesn’t appear to be super busted with problems. Still pretty hype!

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

Damn, that console performance (and DF still praising it) makes me more excited to see what it looks like on pc now. Reviews are a little lower than I thought but nothing too bad or unexpected I’m reading. Def doesn’t appear to be super busted with problems. Still pretty hype!

Uh, it's riddled with bugs. Just watch the ign review. It's borderline inexcusable. Patches baby.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic and Digital Foundry PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S comparison posted, D1P will contain 1,000+ bug fixes
2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't give a shit about any story criticisms... I don't play these games for the story.

Most games for me really when I see reviews like some of these. Unless it's a straight-up story-based game like Disco Elysium or something, I can't compute reading about an Action game or something and going 'oh no story is garbage, not getting THIS'. That applies to 99% of videogames ever. 

34 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Uh, it's riddled with bugs. Just watch the ign review. It's borderline inexcusable. Patches baby.

These guys support their games... I'm not worried about the bugs at all. 

Most games for me really when I see reviews like some of these. Unless it's a straight-up story-based game like Disco Elysium or something, I can't compute reading about an Action game or something and going 'oh no story is garbage, not getting THIS'. That applies to 99% of videogames ever. 

Yeah I never got it at all. When I DO get a freat story in a game it's always a pleasant surprise but not anything that I expect or demand from a game. Gamers still haven't faced up to the realization that most of the stories in games (even the games that are lauded for their stories) are mediocre at best. There's definitely been exceptions and in recent times, stories have gotten MUCH better, but a mediocre story is not a deal breaker for me in a non-story driven game.

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I never got it at all. When I DO get a freat story in a game it's always a pleasant surprise but not anything that I expect or demand from a game. Gamers still haven't faced up to the realization that most of the stories in games (even the games that are lauded for their stories) are mediocre at best. There's definitely been exceptions and in recent times, stories have gotten MUCH better, but a mediocre story is not a deal breaker for me in a non-story driven game.

Granted I haven't seen a ton of this game but it looks like quite literally running around and gorily smashing zombies. I have no idea what kind of story I'd need in that. 

lol the story in the first one was pretty damn bad and cheesy honestly, but it did have a good hook with the playing both sides thing at first, I couldn’t quite tell how much it wanted me to take it serious. I felt like it was supposed to be a bit more of a B movie thing than TLOU, this I suppose could be worse if it leans more seriously.

I think when it launches tomorrow I’ll be able to use my $10 epic coupon I have to buy it for $50 so I’ll do that and pretend I got it on sale. This has ray traded GI and dlss support on pc, so it’s going to look incredible and run great no matter what.

• Shocked 1

30 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Granted I haven't seen a ton of this game but it looks like quite literally running around and gorily smashing zombies. I have no idea what kind of story I'd need in that. 

The emphasis on story in this one is that your choices are supposed to matter and affect the game world depending on how you choose. So they placed more of an emphasis on story this time around, but for me if the choices matter the way they say they do, that's enough for me story wise.

Just now, best3444 said:

I can't believe it's not 60fps 4K on the Series X and PS5...

Yeah that is a disappointment for sure. Hopefully it's something they can patch in later. Given how busy the first game got, it's not surprising though.

This review has made me want to get the game on day one again, it looks like nonstop fun within a big open city packed with content. The main character seems likable enough, and I’m sure that the main story and side stories will be interesting enough to give an incentive to do the missions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

This review has made me want to get the game on day one again, it looks like nonstop fun within a big open city packed with content. The main character seems likable enough, and I’m sure that the main story and side stories will be interesting enough to give an incentive to do the missions.

Yea this looks good to me. I really liked the first one 

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

First time I really looked at this game and I really dig the speed and combat. It's going on the wishlist, I'll pick it up at a later date when it's patched up and all that. It definitely looks like a ton of fun.

Does this have a PvP element?