Ad Astra (astronaut film starring Brad Pitt, directed/co-written by James Gray) - Trailer #2

It's co-written and directed by James Gray, who has written and directed: Little Odessa, The Yards, We Own The Night, Two Lovers, The Immigrant, and The Lost City of Z. The Lost City of Z alone is so good I'm excited to see whatever Gray makes next, but his entire filmography shows he is one of America's most interesting auteurs. 

• Like 1

I’m down, and I really hope Fox continues to be able to make films like this as they become more integrated into the Disney machine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Nokra said:

What did you think? 

I'm seeing this Monday. :sun:

There's a lot of good stuff in here. It looks and sounds amazing. Their take on a (more or less) plausible future of space travel is cool. A lot of this movie is Brad Pitt sitting alone in various rooms trying to process his emotions, and he makes that far more compelling than it sounds. I definitely liked it and would recommend it to most people, but for me it never crossed into the realm of "modern masterpiece" that I'm seeing in some reviews. 

• Thanks 1

I saw this the other night going in 100% blind. I hadn't even seen a trailer, one review, anything, just the poster. 

I honestly thought it was borderline insufferably pretentious and unintentionally face-palm funny in spots. It's like an unholy alliance of the most cloying moments of Gravity meets late-stage Terrence Malick mixed with oddly clashing variations in aesthetics.

No doubt this is technically an incredibly competent film on first glance. The cinematography is often gorgeous, the soundtrack is great, Brad Pitt is often very interesting to watch but then there are moments, and whole segments, of such utter idiocy and, well maybe not plot holes per say, but fucking bizarre on-screen decisions that I literally face-palmed several times. There's one segment specifically that was utterly hilarious. 

My girlfriend was super excited to see it and even she asked me if I wanted to just walk out about 3/4 in. 

29 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I have to spend a bit of time writing down my thoughts, but my initial feeling is that this is the biggest take down of god since Noah.

The movie looks really good and this raises my hype level at least some. But then I'm a fan of James Gray and I thought The Lost City of Z is one of the best films of the last few years. Might be seeing it this Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

The film is visually stunning. But the more I reflect on it, the less I like it. It’s like the anti-Contact. I feel beaten over the head by religion in a movie about space. 

I have absolutely zero idea how you could possibly have gotten such an interpretation from the film.

16 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I have absolutely zero idea how you could possibly have gotten such an interpretation from the film.

Same, but Emblazon usually has the weirdest takes on films.

I saw it a week ago and thought the film was mind blowing. The opening sequence and the moon buggy sequence by themselves justify going.

4 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I  can honestly say that this was the most compelling film -- both thematically and visually -- that I have seen in a very, very long time.

It really did touch me on a very personal level in regard to my relationship with my own father.

I really recommend his prior film The Lost City of Z if you haven't seen it as well. :) My own father is a piece of shit and I saw it with him and he liked the movie and missed the whole point so I hope it went better for you than it did for me. I think I saw my dad do a fist pump moment when a certain character said he never loved Brad Pitt's character (me being Brad Pitt in that scene). :p 

On 9/27/2019 at 12:00 PM, TwinIon said:

I have to spend a bit of time writing down my thoughts, but my initial feeling is that this is the biggest take down of god since Noah.

Alright, you're gonna have to REALLY elaborate on this one because I've totally wracked my brain for any sort of plausible religious subtext to the film and simply can't come up with it at all.

It's actually rather amusing that you and @Emblazon arrived at completely opposite religious interpretations :lol:

Religion was peppered everywhere throughout the entire movie. Prayers at every turn, the dad saying the further he goes in space the closer to god he feels. Giving up on SETI, turning to religion and going crazy. “Is there anyone out there? YES YES YES!” was a reference to god, not aliens. 

And the fucking monkeys. They purposefully showed a dead rat floating. Don’t you think rabid monkeys would eat the rat? Instead they go after the humans. I immediately took that scene as an “anti-evolution” scene.  The scene literally served no purpose in the film. 

So, aside from the breathtaking visuals, I came away with evolution is fake, we’re the only intelligent species in the known universe, and we should look inwards, because we’re all that matters. 

9 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Religion was peppered everywhere throughout the entire movie. Prayers at every turn, the dad saying the further he goes in space the closer to god he feels. Giving up on SETI, turning to religion and going crazy. “Is there anyone out there? YES YES YES!” was a reference to god, not aliens. 

And the fucking monkeys. They purposefully showed a dead rat floating. Don’t you think rabid monkeys would eat the rat? Instead they go after the humans. I immediately took that scene as an “anti-evolution” scene.  The scene literally served no purpose in the film. 

So, aside from the breathtaking visuals, I came away with evolution is fake, we’re the only intelligent species in the known universe, and we should look inwards, because we’re all that matters. 

You read every one of those scenes incorrectly. :P

Dad went in search of intelligence (re: God) and found nothing. Dad was Brad's "god" who basically says "I have nothing for you" and abandons him permanently. The prayers and the monkeys were both representative of the fact that when faced with the unknown, man reverts to its most primal or basic state.

21 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Dad went in search of intelligence (re: God) and found nothing. Dad was Brad's "god" who basically says "I have nothing for you" and abandons him permanently. The prayers and the monkeys were both representative of the fact that when faced with the unknown, man reverts to its most primal or basic state.

I haven't seen this movie yet... but it feels weird to see you say someones interpretation of a movie is wrong.  Most art is up to the interpretation of the viewer.  But again I haven't seen this yet so maybe there is a reason for what you are saying.

3 minutes ago, number305 said:

I haven't seen this movie yet... but it feels weird to see you say someones interpretation of a movie is wrong.  Most art is up to the interpretation of the viewer.  But again I haven't seen this yet so maybe there is a reason for what you are saying.

Well that's why I added the :P because I was being somewhat sarcastic about him being "wrong."

That being said I find it hard to believe that anyone can take this movie as pro religion. It seemed to beat you over the head with the fact that existence is meaningless and futile and there is nothing else out there for us.

45 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think this was the very clear reading of the film as well. It was uplifting - in the end it was about empathy and seeking solace in each other, not in broad, unproveable concepts first and foremost.

23 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Well that's why I added the :P because I was being somewhat sarcastic about him being "wrong."

That being said I find it hard to believe that anyone can take this movie as pro religion. It seemed to beat you over the head with the fact that existence is meaningless and futile and there is nothing else out there for us.

Right on.  I'm interested in seeing it... but will probably wait to see it at home in a few months.  Most of my theater trips these days are with my kids, and I don't think they are ready for 'existence is meaningless'.