Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

5 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Oh and be aware that he targets whoever attacks him last so its inadvisable to use spellcasters to attack him because hes resistant to all damage types except bludgeing and he will wafflestop them. 

Do I have to do this or can I skip it? Really not a fan of some of the stuff you have to do in BG3. 

On 1/16/2024 at 6:54 AM, Spork3245 said:

That boss is definitely a PITA

If you have someone who can misty step a few times it's not that bad, otherwise it can be a drag to avoid getting murdered while you're lining up the masher / press.

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

If you have someone who can misty step a few times it's not that bad, otherwise it can be a drag to avoid getting murdered while you're lining up the masher / press.

I beat it on tactician just by giving Karlach a good bludgening weapon and buffing the shit out of her.

It was still the second most difficult fight in the game for me.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Probably the firmware fix that was posted earlier that fixes a game erasing bug.

ah okay. I signed up with Larian.com and it backs up your save files so I'm safe no matter what.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

Never would have thought that this game would be in my top 3 RPG’s ever. And top 5 all-time video games. I’m Ball Sacks Gate’s bitch I admit it. I was totally wrong about this game early on. 

I knew you would love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Was wrong about Gale. His spell attacks are great when you want to work from a distance. That Magic Missle is fucking nice. 

Just wait till you have him learn unique spells you can otherwise only use from scrolls. 

• Hype 1

Just got past Act 2 for the first time. Game is so good, the whole end of that act is amazing.

Had a funny interaction as part of my Lae'zel romance.

Spoiler

She wanted us to prove our love for one another in a fight, like we're Klingons or some shit. Since she started this in camp while we were both in our cozy PJs, I assumed I'd have at least a slight chance of my noodle armed Bard getting in some shots and that this would be some sexy, unarmed fight. No, Bae'zel immediately pulled out her fucking mystical Githyanki greatsword that has a psychic damage modifier and OHKO'd me easily. The dialog afterward suggested that I bruised her, which... I mean maybe she got some bruises because she swung her sword clear through me into the ground and her palms got fucked up from the reverb or something, because I sure as hell didn't even lay a finger on her.

I will say the only weird thing dialog wise when it comes to rejecting romance attempts from other characters is that I don't seem to be able to tell anyone that I'm with someone else? Me and Lae'zel pork in camp and there's no way she's quiet, everyone must know I'm into extraplanar ass play. Then someone else comes up to try and hit it (understandable) and I don't have the option to say "so sorry, I like them really mean"? Boo.

• Haha 1

Yeah act one is tons of fun of course, but it all feels low key. The end of act 2 is when you start to feel like the heroes (or villains, I suppose :p ) of the story.

Spoiler

The scene where you free the Nightsong is so awesome, as is Shadowhearts lead up into it.

• Halal 1

40 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah act one is tons of fun of course, but it all feels low key. The end of act 2 is when you start to feel like the heroes (or villains, I suppose :p ) of the story.

Reveal hidden contents

The scene where you free the Nightsong is so awesome, as is Shadowhearts lead up into it.

Yeah that bit was awesome. I’m doing a good aligned path. I can’t really bring myself to be evil in games where the characters are fleshed out well and I like everyone involved; I want them to be happy! And the good aligned vibes in that scene really hit in a nice way since I just let that person do what THEY wanted to do without trying to influence them or even roll dice… they just kept walking down the path we paved together so far. Hit that sweet spot where it felt natural and earned, but I still felt like it might have swung the other way or that the game wanted me to try to intervene instead of trusting them. Really, really well done. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah that bit was awesome. I’m doing a good aligned path. I can’t really bring myself to be evil in games where the characters are fleshed out well and I like everyone involved; I want them to be happy! And the good aligned vibes in that scene really hit in a nice way since I just let that person do what THEY wanted to do without trying to influence them or even roll dice… they just kept walking down the path we paved together so far. Hit that sweet spot where it felt natural and earned, but I still felt like it might have swung the other way or that the game wanted me to try to intervene instead of trusting them. Really, really well done. 

Completely agree! And I also can't bring myself to do evil playthroughs in a game a like this. Especially since the evil path is *so* damn evil. I couldn't stomach it.

It's plausible the most evil I've been is ME with the occasional renegade trigger for some of the especially annoying baddies who had it coming :p 

On 1/22/2024 at 9:33 PM, Biggie said:

If I had one complaint it would be having so many characters that I have to leave at camp. I wanna use them all but some are just better and more powerful to take them out of my lineup. 

Yeah I had the same feeling. So I just decided to never swap out my party and largely ignore the side stuff for the party members in my camp. That way there’s some new feeling stuff if I do a second playthrough. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah I had the same feeling. So I just decided to never swap out my party and largely ignore the side stuff for the party members in my camp. That way there’s some new feeling stuff if I do a second playthrough. 

What I’ve been doing is checking the journal for character side stuff. Then I put one of then in my party to advance their individual story line. Then go grab another. Keeps things interesting. My main party is me, Gale, Shadowheart (she is an excellent healer) and Karlach. Lae’zel is real good too. 

Based on the personal quests I've done, I'd wager I'm maybe 33 - 40% through Act 3. I'm doing what I can to finish most quests I encounter and I think I've done almost all of them with the exception of one from the first Act that didn't close when it should've and then flunked at the end of Act 2. Pretty sure this is a bug and it should have closed or there was another trigger that the journal didn't let me know about and I actually missed it.

It's really great. I think my only laments are that now that I'm at level 11 or so... almost nobody can fuck with my party. It feels good to stomp some people and there's still an occasionally engaging fight, but most of the "challenge" at this point has come from mid fight triggers that I couldn't have predicted, or a bunch of mooks showing up out of nowhere immediately after a fight starts which will have Gale or someone caught with his pants down. I appreciate that I'm the architect of this issue; if I hadn't done almost every quest I could, I wouldn't be at close to max level. Maybe a Tactician run is in my future. 

Also the inventory management is lousy. We're not talking Starfield levels of derp, but... if I have a bottomless chest and through 95% of the game I can warp to it... just let me carry whatever I want. This isn't a survival horror game, holding infinite shit wouldn't change much other than preventing true stupidity like carrying every chest in the game at one time or something... I dunno. It just feels like added steps to warp shit I wanna sell to camp, then walk to a vendor, then warp to camp, pick up all my shit, then leave camp, then sell it. Maybe I should just munchkin less, whatever.

Anyway so far all the Origin characters have been really interesting, their quests and development have been really fun to play through. Larian does good work but if you'd told me that we'd get a sequel to BGII / Throne of Bhaal 20 years later and it'd be this awesome, I dunno if I'd have believed, but here we are. The biggest crime they committed is to the stat line of a returning character... but I get why they did that. I guess. :p 

Question for anyone who's finished Wyll's quest. I just did and it feels kind of sloppy, which I haven't really seen in the other origin quests. Spoilers through act 3 for Wyll.

Spoiler

So I decided to sacrifice Wyll's dad. Given that pops was tadpole'd and the alternative for Wyll seemed really terrible, it felt like the best of choice in a "heads I win, tails you lose" game for him. So we did that, his demon chills in my camp to talk shit now and has been kind enough to keep Wyll in the money with warlock powers until The Absolute is dealt with. We found the dragon, more about The Emperor, all that.

Then in a peripherally related quest, I decided to rescue the prisoners from the Iron Throne instead of just blow up a factory full of slaves. And... Wyll's dad is down there? And we save him? And now Wyll, his dad, and Mizora are all in camp and... don't really acknowledge each other? I don't even know why Mizora didn't kill Wyll's dad immediately?

Did I run into a bug? This seems kinds weird.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Question for anyone who's finished Wyll's quest. I just did and it feels kind of sloppy, which I haven't really seen in the other origin quests. Spoilers through act 3 for Wyll.

Reveal hidden contents

It might be a bug? I did what you did, but there was no real interaction between the 3 characters all at once.

Spoiler

Mizora should try to kill Duke during the rescue mission. There are these exploding spiders that she summons when you bust him from the cell. I believe there is a bug if you use the squid dude to teleport Duke to the sub. If you did that instead of waking him out normally that might have caused an issue.

What should happen is that Wyll and Pa reconcile, and when get back to camp and when you talk to Mizora you are all like, "lol we owned you dumb ass". But there is like no actual interaction between Duke and Mizora.

Maybe you have this bug? Not sure if it was ever fixed.

Spoiler

ce658f2d03131fee532216e2995fa596.png

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

It might be a bug? I did what you did, but there was no real interaction between the 3 characters all at once.

Reveal hidden contents

Mizora should try to kill Duke during the rescue mission. There are these exploding spiders that she summons when you bust him from the cell. I believe there is a bug if you use the squid dude to teleport Duke to the sub. If you did that instead of waking him out normally that might have caused an issue.

What should happen is that Wyll and Pa reconcile, and when get back to camp and when you talk to Mizora you are all like, "lol we owned you dumb ass". But there is like no actual interaction between Duke and Mizora.

Maybe you have this bug? Not sure if it was ever fixed.

Hide contents

ce658f2d03131fee532216e2995fa596.png

If it's a bug, it's not the one you listed here. Seems like weird quest interactions. The quest to rescue that person is completed and written in the journal like the choice I made was final, but then that person was found later and the quest never updated. 

34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

If it's a bug, it's not the one you listed here. Seems like weird quest interactions. The quest to rescue that person is completed and written in the journal like the choice I made was final, but then that person was found later and the quest never updated. 

The quest ends when you make the choice you made but you can still finish the rescue. The Journal does not update. Here is mine.

Spoiler

bec9e2563f9a2f8ca071dcbf0be73cde.png

If you can gloat to Mizora and Wyll and Duke makeup, you've seen all you can see. I'm not sure when it updates but if you saved Duke properly you'll see this in Gather You Allies at some point.

7f9adffaee1f6b42f2f6ca96bece0e4a.png

On 1/25/2024 at 9:37 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

@Kal-El814 oh, don't worry, there's a challenge or two still waiting for you towards the end, especially if you opt to do the side quest that 

Reveal hidden contents

... :daydream: 

I just did said quest. I have a new video game core memory now ❤️

• Hype 1

21 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hide contents

So I decided to sacrifice Wyll's dad. Given that pops was tadpole'd and the alternative for Wyll seemed really terrible, it felt like the best of choice in a "heads I win, tails you lose" game for him. So we did that, his demon chills in my camp to talk shit now and has been kind enough to keep Wyll in the money with warlock powers until The Absolute is dealt with. We found the dragon, more about The Emperor, all that.

Then in a peripherally related quest, I decided to rescue the prisoners from the Iron Throne instead of just blow up a factory full of slaves. And... Wyll's dad is down there? And we save him? And now Wyll, his dad, and Mizora are all in camp and... don't really acknowledge each other? I don't even know why Mizora didn't kill Wyll's dad immediately?

Did 

Spoiler

Mizora try to stop you from rescuing him?

If not, that does seem like a bug. I more or less did what you did, but in addition to the thing above

Spoiler

There is a conversation with Mizora and gloating in her face about saving him anyway. She responds by saying that she will still get him in the future and it's just a matter of time. 

See this video of the conversation here

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, legend said:

Did 

Hide contents

Mizora try to stop you from rescuing him?

If not, that does seem like a bug. I more or less did what you did, but in addition to the thing above

Reveal hidden contents

There is a conversation with Mizora and gloating in her face about saving him anyway. She responds by saying that she will still get him in the future and it's just a matter of time. 

See this video of the conversation here

Spoiler

She did puke some spiders in his general direction, but there's been no acknowledgement of it from her or Wyll which seems a little odd. I haven't seen the convo in that clip you posted yet, maybe i'll pop some other night in camp. That specific campsite isn't one I've seen yet.

Again it's not a big deal or anything, it just stuck out since it's one of the few fumbles I've seen narratively across almost 75 hours of playtime. 

• Halal 1