Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

Also, you can just change anyone's class at any time, it only costs 100 gold to completely respec a character with Withers in your camp. I've kept Gale as a magic-user, but changed him to storm sorceror. Karlach is a ranger knight, and Lae'zel is a radiant monk. My own char is lore bard. 

Just now, Biggie said:

That’s because like me, you don’t speak nerd. 

I've been hooked on that ass game. About to play more. I'll get back to Baldur's Gate after I finish it. Persona 5 is my side game to finish. 

RE: learning spells: Wizards can learn from spell scrolls to permanently know the spell on the scroll. You can also change what set of spells he can use from a massive list anytime outside of battle. There are also some unique spells you can't get outside of scrolls, so having him be able to permanently use them is amazing.

39 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Okay I should have told you. I only speak English. 

Sorry DnD nerd is my first language.  

At level 2 a wizard picks their subclass and Evocation is the school of destruction magic and one of the benefits it gives you is your damage dealing spells like Fireball does not harm your party members.  So you can run full into combat with Karlach or La'zel and not worry about dropping a fireball on them.  Their damage is ignored.

Each spellcaster learns spells at level up.  Spellcasters like Bard, Warlock, and Sorcerer only get new spells at level up and are limited to how many they can learn.  Whereas a wizard, can learn new spells so long as you have the gold and they are at the level of the spell.  So for example, you have Gale who is at levels up to level 5 and you pick Fly and Lightning bolt for your 3rd level spells.  Then you find Fireball on a dead body he can then add that to his spell book for like 100 GP and the scroll is destroyed.  

Just from a mechanical standpoint Gale can be such a force on the battlefield.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yes I’m lost as what to do. I can’t get past a locked door but I’ve seem to have killed everyone. 

I had to use a guide to advance there. I won't spoil anything but I missed something in the goblin cave/prison section. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I had to use a guide to advance there. I won't spoil anything but I missed something in the goblin cave/prison section. 

Spoiler

I freed some jackass. He was like a court jester. I sent him packing from the camp. 

14 hours ago, Biggie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

There is a place to the very left as you are walking into the prison. Up to the left there is a spot that you can jump over a hole. Then from there you make your way to a basement with a hidden door that leads to the underdark. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Hide contents

There is a place to the very left as you are walking into the prison. Up to the left there is a spot that you can jump over a hole. Then from there you make your way to a basement with a hidden door that leads to the underdark. 

The underdark is semi big. You might level another time down there ..maybe. 

Spoiler

It's not exactly to the left. When walking into the prison move to the center area. There is a route to the left that puts you at a hole to jump over. 

Long-suffering Baldur's Gate 3 players on Xbox are finally getting a fix for the game's broken saves, and it seems Microsoft is having to issue an entire console firmware update to get the problem under control.

"Microsoft have identified the cause of the save bug on Xbox, and will be issuing a firmware update to fix it," developer Larian says on Twitter. "You'll be able to update your console manually on the 16th of January, or wait a week longer for the update to roll out globally. Although we haven’t been able to independently verify this fix, we’re optimistic that Microsoft have gotten to the bottom of it!"

Players have been reporting save issues pretty much since Baldur's Gate 3 hit Xbox in early December. The cause of the issue seemed to be tough for Larian or Microsoft to pin down, but on December 31 the developers issued a tweet explaining the situation. Basically, the game will sometimes think that it's completed a save before that save is actually written to the drive. You can work around the issue with Larian's cross-save service, but it's been a full month now without a fix.

• Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: MS issuing Xbox firmware update to address BGIII save bug
33 minutes ago, legend said:

Just respec if you just want a new build. 

Well actually I wanna replay since I have a much better understanding what the hell is going on. I don’t really mind because the game is that good. 

• Halal 1

45 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Well actually I wanna replay since I have a much better understanding what the hell is going on. I don’t really mind because the game is that good. 

Haha fair enough then. I don't think I realized how many people regularly restart their games while they're in the middle of them. I can't remember the last time I did that.

18 minutes ago, legend said:

Haha fair enough then. I don't think I realized how many people regularly restart their games while they're in the middle of them. I can't remember the last time I did that.

Normally I never do it. But holy shit this game is confusing to me but I really do enjoy it. It’s fun as hell. This will be my second restart. Question about equipment. Do you change your party’s weapons or armor? Seems I never find anything better than what they originally start with. I do change mine but very rarely. The loot seems to just there to sell. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Normally I never do it. But holy shit this game is confusing to me but I really do enjoy it. It’s fun as hell. This will be my second restart. Question about equipment. Do you change your party’s weapons or armor? Seems I never find anything better than what they originally start with. I do change mine but very rarely. The loot seems to just there to sell. 

Yeah I absolutely sympathize that if you've never played DnD before, there is a ton of complexity and the game doesn't attempt to explain it all. (Probably because trying to explain it would be long and boring. Even in real DnD sessions it takes new players a very long time to really get it all and arguments about rules still pop up among seasoned players. I think it's probably is better to just let the player go and have them figure it out along the way.)

I changed my parties armor a fair amount. There's probably not a ton of good stuff until the last third of act 1 though.

Also, if you use Gale, make sure you equip him with some light armor unless you find some robe with fantastic magic stats you want (which you probably won't find much of in act 1)

28 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Weren't you the one trashing me for starting over? You said you play games like real life and live with the consequences.

Make up your fuckin mind like you always say to me. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Weren't you the one trashing me for starting over? You said you play games like real life and live with the consequences.

Make up your fuckin mind like you always say to me. 

I'm not starting over because of my choices or I want better results. I'm starting over because the game is confusing for me and I feel I will have more fun with a better understanding of what the hell I am doing. Now stfu and go post on NeoGAF........oh and get a job.

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I'm not starting over because of my choices or I want better results. I'm starting over because the game is confusing for me and I feel I will have more fun with a better understanding of what the hell I am doing. Now stfu and go post on NeoGAF........oh and get a job.

I applied for a few jobs today. Neogaf is a terrific place as well. Extremely fair well modded environment with a huge user base. And you starting over is a complete waste of time. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I applied for a few jobs today. Neogaf is a terrific place as well. Extremely fair well modded environment with a huge user base. And you starting over is a complete waste of time. 

imagine you preaching to me about starting over

8 hours ago, johnny said:

i got this game. are there any tips for the beginning of the game? 

Get the full party to join you, even if you're off put by them at first.

Use shove liberally around any cliffs or pits you see.

Be aware that there are two kinds of actions: your main action, and a bonus action. But they are not interchangeable (without some feats), so they let you do different things.

Give Gale light armor.

You can "knock out" rather than kill enemies if you go to passives and choose non-lethal and defeat them with a melee attack (as opposed to magic)

With the latest patch, when you find Minthara and if you're playing "good" side, knock her out, don't kill her.