Eight students injured in school shooting in suburban Denver, 2 students are in custody

Just now, thewhyteboar said:

This is the America the NRA wants. They will leave a trail of dead children so long as gun company execs make money.

Those surviving childruns are learning first hand that thou shalt not infringe. 

I want to make a snide remark over gun ownership but i'm getting tired of having to think of one every few weeks. Simply just fuck the NRA and people who feel nothing should be done because they have a hard on for a fucking gun.

I am in no way excusing the position of the gun lobby or anyone who aligns with it. It is disgusting. Not sure what else we can say about it. Having said that, at some point we need to acknowledge the elephant in the room:

our culture is fucked.

Beyond vague allusions to mental health funding, what can be done? How do we get off this trajectory?

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

This is what the NRA and gun nuts have done to our country. Training kids since kindergarten. 

My son is in 1st grade and they have had at least 3 active shooter drills so far, could be more.  I kind of wince every time I'm in his school now because every hallway and stairwell has the RUN, HIDE, FIGHT posters hanging up.  When I was his age the worst we had were tornado drills where we would quickly grab a small carpet square, crouch down in the hallway and put the carpet over the top of our heads lol.  I can't even pretend that school shootings couldn't happen at his school because back in 2005 there was a murder suicide in their very own parking lot.  Some kid lost their parents in the parking lot that day, some sort of domestic altercation.

• Sad 2

Imagine if gun purchasers had to run the same gauntlet that abortion seekers do: walk through a crowd of chanting protesters, wade through gruesome posters and images, all to get to a store that is only allowed to operate in certain areas, perhaps being the sole one in an entire state.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Beyond vague allusions to mental health funding, what can be done? How do we get off this trajectory?

Nothing and we can't.

Well, I suppose that there is to wait on Generation Z who probably aren't as wedded to the concept of firearms ownership as their predecessors.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Nothing and we can't.

Well, I suppose that there is to wait on Generation Z who probably aren't as wedded to the concept of firearms ownership as their predecessors.

I feel the same way. Seems like we're on a collision course. Harder and harder to find a hook to hang hope on.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Was it the girl who wanted to shoot Columbine last week?

she killed herself.

The San Bernardino shooting was committed by a husband wife combo so this is definitely not the first woman involved in one.

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Muslims don't use guns sorry they only use bombs.

San Bernardino guy, Pulse Nightclub shooter. I guess in America with guns being so freely available Muslims use guns too.

That's actually probably the new tact that needs to be approached. Instead of telling "law abiding" white people you want to take their guns, wait until next time a Muslim does a shooting here and you can frame gun control as combating Islamic terrorism. After all, gun control in the 80's was really about stopping all those scary Black Panthers with guns right?

33 minutes ago, Dodger said:

San Bernardino guy, Pulse Nightclub shooter. I guess in America with guns being so freely available Muslims use guns too.

That's actually probably the new tact that needs to be approached. Instead of telling "law abiding" white people you want to take their guns, wait until next time a Muslim does a shooting here and you can frame gun control as combating Islamic terrorism. After all, gun control in the 80's was really about stopping all those scary Black Panthers with guns right?

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/gop-blocks-bill-stop-terrorists-buying-guns

The 18-year-old immediately charged, pinning the attacker to the wall before Castillo was fatally shot protecting classmates, witnesses said. As he charged, so did two other students. One of them, Brendan Bialy, wrestled the gun from the shooter's hand and the students subdued him.

la-1557380798-3igqfwq04z-snap-image

Joshua Jones, Kendrick Castillo and Brendan Bialy (Jones family via AP ; Rachel Short via AP; Michael Ciaglo / Getty Images)

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-colorado-denver-school-shooting-teen-20190508-story.html

20 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

The second shooting suspect is a female.

I don't think that's happened for a mass shooter yet in America. I may be wrong, though.

The attackers were identified by law enforcement officials as 18-year-old Devon Erickson and a 16-year-old who prosecutors identified as Maya McKinney but whose attorney said uses male pronouns and the name Alec. The two allegedly walked into the STEM School Highlands Ranch through an entrance without metal detectors and opened fire in two classrooms.