~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

6 hours ago, Nokra said:

Thanks for the response. :) Sounds like our potential paths are very similar. Which certs did you do?

A few days ago I had told our HR guy that I wanted to throw my hat in the ring for a sysadmin position that of course would have still been in IT but it would have paid a lot better ($34/hour) and would have gotten me more programming/scripting experience. Today they sat me down and basically told me that I was too valuable in my current position so they couldn't afford to move me since it would create a big vacuum. They've been having such terrible turnover that there's nobody to replace me, and the lab I run is too valuable to the overall operation. The best part is that they're also asking me to help conduct the interviews for the position I want. :/ 

Tomorrow I'm asking for a raise. 

Also start looking for your current position or one rung up at other companies. And stop being so good at your job

• True 1

10 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

if you get a sinus infection get that shit taken care of immediately. A friend of mine who I saw just Friday is in the ICU on a vent because he got (fortunately for me, non aresol spreading) meningitis because he didn’t treat a sinus infection. Late 30’s and in great health. Recently married with a kid on the way. He’s critical but stable now. Hopefully his wife didn’t catch it given her condition. 

shit sucks. 

He’s out of the coma, and is able to give and receive communication and do some limited movement on command.

the nurse was worried he was going to break their restraints when we woke up. He’s a strong dude. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He’s out of the coma, and is able to give and receive communication and do some limited movement on command.

the nurse was worried he was going to break their restraints when we woke up. He’s a strong dude. 

That's terrifying. 

My company informed me this morning that they're starting the process to transition me from being a contractor to being a full-time employee, and should be completed by April 11th.  That includes getting more benefits and a higher wage.

What the fuck is going on for me this week?!

• Like 5
  • Ukraine 1

4 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

My company informed me this morning that they're starting the process to transition me from being a contractor to being a full-time employee, and should be completed by April 11th.  That includes getting more benefits and a higher wage.

What the fuck is going on for me this week?!

The rewards of hanging in there when times are tough 😊

15 hours ago, Nokra said:

Thanks for the response. :) Sounds like our potential paths are very similar. Which certs did you do?

A few days ago I had told our HR guy that I wanted to throw my hat in the ring for a sysadmin position that of course would have still been in IT but it would have paid a lot better ($34/hour) and would have gotten me more programming/scripting experience. Today they sat me down and basically told me that I was too valuable in my current position so they couldn't afford to move me since it would create a big vacuum. They've been having such terrible turnover that there's nobody to replace me, and the lab I run is too valuable to the overall operation. The best part is that they're also asking me to help conduct the interviews for the position I want. :/ 

Tomorrow I'm asking for a raise. 

My man you need to start searching. But also ask for a raise commiserate with the job you're applying for since you're "too valuable" to move to that position.

My certifications are all developer certifications on the Salesforce platform.

Just now, marioandsonic said:

I should be ecstatic, but I don't feel like I deserve any of this.  It's like if a stranger came up to me and acted all friendly to me:  I assume they're secretly carrying a knife to stab me in the back when the moment is just right.

You've surely had some bad luck in your life, did you deserve that? 

Update on the structural engineer and our basement: Came out this afternoon with his fancy levels. I'd never seen anything like them operated before—a central big disc with hoses running to sensor boxes—I assume they function on the differential liquid pressure indicating which is higher or lower. Anyway, he said there was only a 1/2 inch variance over the entire foundation, not 1.75" like the first guy said (with just a laser and some measuring tape), so his official advice is to do absolutely nothing. He said just keep watering the lawns in the summer to help the soil stay firm against the foundation, and otherwise the house is in great condition for its age (1964). Then we chatted for a half-hour about electric snow blowers, lawnmowers, EVs, solar panels, and heat pumps. Really interesting guy, and it turns out he lives two blocks away. So I guess we'll get an official engineer-sealed report in a few weeks that says to do nothing, and an $800 bill. But $800 well spent, as it will save up to $25,000 in work!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Update on the structural engineer and our basement: Came out this afternoon with his fancy levels. I'd never seen anything like them operated before—a central big disc with hoses running to sensor boxes—I assume they function on the differential liquid pressure indicating which is higher or lower. Anyway, he said there was only a 1/2 inch variance over the entire foundation, not 1.75" like the first guy said (with just a laser and some measuring tape), so his official advice is to do absolutely nothing. He said just keep watering the lawns in the summer to help the soil stay firm against the foundation, and otherwise the house is in great condition for its age (1964). Then we chatted for a half-hour about electric snow blowers, lawnmowers, EVs, solar panels, and heat pumps. Really interesting guy, and it turns out he lives two blocks away. So I guess we'll get an official engineer-sealed report in a few weeks that says to do nothing, and an $800 bill. But $800 well spent, as it will save up to $25,000 in work!

I like that we are always quick to believe the person who says we are all good 😂

Sounds like this guy was very thorough though!

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I like that we are always quick to believe the person who says we are all good 😂

Sounds like this guy was very thorough though!

Yeah, he noticed a few "minor" issues, like the floating walls in the basement not really being floated at all due to mistakes, but since the foundation is good, it's not a concern until we decide to renovate. The other good thing about this is that if we're taking in any refugees we won't have to have work being done in the basement while they are living there. Last thing we'd want is a toilet in the middle of the room.

37 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Update:

I just received the email regarding my borrower defense claim.  It's been officially approved for 100%, and the discharge should take place sometime within the next 6 months.  No word on whether or not I'd get some kind of refund, but there you go. 

Yaaaay! So will this eliminate payments you are currently making?

Since I'm sure everyone is very invested in my saga :p:

Asked for the raise yesterday, was told by the HR guy it was not possible but that the position might be getting made into a direct hire position and that if it goes that way, he would strongly encourage me to apply, because then it's on them if they want to pull me out of the lab.

This weekend marks the beginning of my intense job search phase as a plan B. 

• Sicko 3

17 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Since I'm sure everyone is very invested in my saga :p:

Asked for the raise yesterday, was told by the HR guy it was not possible but that the position might be getting made into a direct hire position and that if it goes that way, he would strongly encourage me to apply, because then it's on them if they want to pull me out of the lab.

This weekend marks the beginning of my intense job search phase as a plan B. 

That should be Plan A.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I just got the "cleared to close" notification for buying my grandma's house in Salt Lake City. Yay.

Are you moving in there, or is it an investment property situation?

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Moving in there. Going to treat my current home as the investment property.

Congrats! My house is (sorta) my grandparent’s home from when I was a kid. I nearly tore the whole thing down and rebuilt it :p 

Are you going to directly handle renting out your current house, or use a service?

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Congrats! My house is (sorta) my grandparent’s home from when I was a kid. I nearly tore the whole thing down and rebuilt it :p 

Are you going to directly handle renting out your current house, or use a service?

I'm planning on my profit margins being quite narrow while I rent it out and make improvements so I'm thinking of just handling it myself for now. What insights do you have into these kinds of situations?

56 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm planning on my profit margins being quite narrow while I rent it out and make improvements so I'm thinking of just handling it myself for now. What insights do you have into these kinds of situations?

I think a lot of it boils down to how much time you have to spend landlording. Things like going and doing basic maintenance stuff is a part, but also handling finding new tenants to minimize time without revenue coming in. The market you’re in has a big impact on that latter piece. Here where I live people will be beating down the door to rent a decent spot as soon as the sign goes up in the yard.

Probably worth trying to do it yourself at first and see if the time commitment isn’t too much.

USPS OIG don't fuck around with mail theft. Had multiple cards from Amex show up in Informed Delivery a couple of weeks ago that then didn't show up. It's become normal for things to show up in Informed Delivery and then not appear for a couple of days so I gave it a week. Then I got a fraud alert notification from Amex that one of the cards was used for nearly $700 at a Ralphs. Submitted a USPS OIG complaint and got contacted by a special agent, and she must have some idea of who did it because she asked if I'll do some mail testing with her (send me stuff like gift cards and see if they arrive/in what condition).