Guardians Of The Galaxy Three Moving Ahead

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But the cosmic side of the MCU was introduced in the Thor movies and was expanded upon in Guardians and Dr. Strange. Capt. Marvel looks to expand it even more... Gunn didn't have a hand on all these films?

It's not like they didn't know what was going on with GotG when they made those decisions. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I really don’t see why they wouldn’t use his script nor do I find it hypocritical. If you fire someone from your company for inappropriate behavior you don’t then go and throw out all their work.

How do you not find firing a person over their objectional content hypocritical when you then use their content? At least don't be intentionally dense over the issue, even if you disagree. 

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

How do you not find firing a person over their objectional content hypocritical when you then use their content? At least don't be intentionally dense over the issue, even if you disagree. 

Lol intentially dense? Was he fired for something he put into a Guardians movie or something he wanted to put into the next movie? No, it was something entirely different. There was no objection to the work he was currently doing on that project. Therefore there’s no reason not to use it. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Why would it? They already paid him for a script and have that in hand. What Disney chose not to do was pay him again for directing.

Like, if I hired a guy to paint my house, he chose a bunch of colors I loved, and then I found out he's an asshole. It's perfectly cool and not at all hypocritical, if I fire him and get someone else to paint everything with the colors he chose.

31 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Like, if I hired a guy to paint my house, he chose a bunch of colors I loved, and then I found out he's an asshole. It's perfectly cool and not at all hypocritical, if I fire him and get someone else to paint everything with the colors he chose.

Paint color doesn't reflect words and ideas of someone who got fired because of something else that he wrote.

Your analogy is closer to: I got a guy to paint my house and loved the paint he mixed but later found out he tweeted he puts human blood in the paint he uses so I fired the guy but then still used the paint he mixed.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Paint color doesn't reflect words and ideas of someone who got fired because of something else that he wrote.

Your analogy is closer to: I got a guy to paint my house and loved the paint he mixed but later found out he tweeted he puts human blood in the paint he uses so I fired the guy but then still used the paint he mixed.

No, that doesn't make sense, because Disney has read his script and already knows he hadn't put any if that questionable content in it. They just don't want to give him any more money.

Fine, the painter had a habit of putting blood in the mix. I fire him and, after checking, saw that he didn't taint any of the paint he was planning to put up in my house. Still a pretty shitty thing to do to past customers, so he can stay fired because I so don't want to give him any new money. Like, maybe if he went back and apologized to previous customers and offered to redo their walls, maybe, but in this case, he didn't even take down his old tweets bragging about it. Me firing him got him to finally take them down, but I'm not hiring him again for the minimal effort it took to do something he would have done years ago.

Mister 50-something painter man. You don't really get to play off being some edgy fine arts major in your 40s. It's a bad look.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No, no it isn’t at all like that. 

12 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Why would it? They already paid him for a script and have that in hand. What Disney chose not to do was pay him again for directing.

So if his current script is not objectionable, then why would his current directing be?

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So if his current script is not objectionable, then why would his current directing be?

As I said, because his prior actions were reprehensible enough that Disney doesn't want to give him a job and more money. He already got their money for the script, so that's just water under the bridge. By cutting off the relationship, they're just not giving him new money.

Like, I work in IT. If my boss find out I was living under a fake name because of some crimes I was on the run from, he'll fire me. However, why the hell would he rip out all the work is previously done. Sure, maybe spend money on a lengthy audit, but throwing away work ALREADY paid for? That would be just silly and willing to keep that work done isn't at all at odds with the firing.

He wasn’t fired because of his work, he was fired because he is a liability in the age of outrage culture.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

As I said, because his prior actions were reprehensible enough that Disney doesn't want to give him a job and more money. He already got their money for the script, so that's just water under the bridge. By cutting off the relationship, they're just not giving him new money.

Like, I work in IT. If my boss find out I was living under a fake name because of some crimes I was on the run from, he'll fire me. However, why the hell would he rip out all the work is previously done. Sure, maybe spend money on a lengthy audit, but throwing away work ALREADY paid for? That would be just silly and willing to keep that work done isn't at all at odds with the firing.

But they knew about the objectionable content since they first hired him. if they didn't want to give him money due to past objectionable content, why did they wait until now if they really cared? Many people, myself included, were aware of his past objectionable content long before Disney initially hired him.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He wasn’t fired because of his work, he was fired because he is a liability in the age of outrage culture.

Right - so won't outrage culture be pissed at using his script? And if they are willing to take on that outrage anyway, then why not let him also direct? I mean, Bryan Singer is embroiled in much worse controversies yet Bohemian Rhapsody is cleaning up awards. It's good they're using his script, but it is hypocritical is all I'm saying.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Right - so won't outrage culture be pissed at using his script? And if they are willing to take on that outrage anyway, then why not let him also direct? I mean, Bryan Singer is embroiled in much worse controversies yet Bohemian Rhapsody is cleaning up awards. It's good they're using his script, but it is hypocritical is all I'm saying.

I don’t think using his script, that was turned in before the tweets became public knowledge, as the basis for the eventual shooting script carries remotely the level of liability as putting him in the director’s chair. I think one of the pieces you’re missing is he was fired right as they were gearing up for production. He may not even be the credited writer on the script by the time the movie hits the screen.

As to Bohemian Rhapsody...they fired Singer in the middle of production but didn’t throw out everything they had already paid for :p

Just now, sblfilms said:

I don’t think using his script, that was turned in before the tweets became public knowledge, as the basis for the eventual shooting script carries remotely the level of liability as putting him in the director’s chair. I think one of the pieces you’re missing is he was fired right as they were gearing up for production. He may not even be the credited writer on the script by the time the movie hits the screen.

As to Bohemian Rhapsody...they fired Singer in the middle of production but didn’t throw out everything they had already paid for :p

You may be right in terms of crediting him once the film is finished, but the tweets were public knowledge long before Gunn was even hired by Disney in the first place, so that bit confuses me.

And Singer was fired 2-3 weeks before the end of shooting, which isn't per se the middle of production, and he's still solely credited as the director on the film (no credit to replacement director Dexter Fletcher).

Very few people know who directs these films and even less know who writes them. They'll use his script,  credit a couple of other writers who add a line or two and be done with it. I still don't see how using something you paid for is hypocritical unless they were using a script that featured all the crude pedo-humor he got fired for as entertainment themselves. THAT would be hypocritical.

On another note, I find the outrage at Gunn's firing as a result of similar outrage to be... ironic. "Outrage culture" has become a self eating snake :lol:

I'm not gonna even GET into the fact that folks are overly concerned with a multi millionaire filmmaker losing his job, only to go on to make millions MORE dollars ar orher studios is also a bit... silly but what do I know? Maybe when I finally grow up I'll understand :thinking::mthinking::hmm:

You may be right in terms of crediting him once the film is finished, but the tweets were public knowledge long before Gunn was even hired by Disney in the first place, so that bit confuses me.

And Singer was fired 2-3 weeks before the end of shooting, which isn't per se the middle of production, and he's still solely credited as the director on the film (no credit to replacement director Dexter Fletcher).

No, they really weren’t. Just because they were public, doesn’t make them public knowledge. How many of them had YOU read before the news stories about them came out? How many of the articles from his website had YOU read before the news stories came out? And you are far more likely to have seen this stuff than the average person.

Come on man, you know what “In the middle” means! If I say a player got ejected in the middle of the game, it doesn’t mean near the mid point of the game. 

Credits are decided by the individual guilds, not the studios. They would have deleted his name if they could :p

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No, they really weren’t. Just because they were public, doesn’t make them public knowledge. How many of them had YOU read before the news stories about them came out? How many of the articles from his website had YOU read before the news stories came out? And you are far more likely to have seen this stuff than the average person.

Come on man, you know what “In the middle” means! If I say a player got ejected in the middle of the game, it doesn’t mean near the mid point of the game. 

Credits are decided by the individual guilds, not the studios. They would have deleted his name if they could :p

Haha, I was just clearing the air for those who might have thought "mid-production" meant literally mid-production.

And I agree I know more than the average person, but Disney is a giant corporation who vets their hires, so they would/should know even if the average person wouldn't know. There's no way Disney "stumbled" on it after the fact. Now, you're saying they only care it became public knowledge vs. the fact the tweets existed. That's likely.

Disney does vet the shit out of their hires putting folks through strenuous background checks Yes. (I just went through one) but I don't think they check social media but for high profile hires like Gunn, maybe they do. In any case I doubt very much that Disney didn't know about these tweets. They just didn't care until it became a potential problem.

I think crucially important is that when James Gunn got hired to do GOTG, we weren’t living in the time of scouting through people’s social media accounts to dig up all the stupid, racist, sexist, <choose your own ist> stuff a person ever said to beat them up.

We now exist in a time where people are digging up tweets of then 14 or 15 year olds high school kids calling each other fags to hurt their draft prospects for pro sports.

Things have changed since the beginning of this decade and I bet Disney does factor in potential social media scouring into their hiring process now.

• 3 weeks later...