Guardians Of The Galaxy Three Moving Ahead

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:
Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Nebula-Mantis.jp
SCREENRANT.COM

Guardians 3 is a tearjerker.

Guardians 2 would have been a tearjerker if they didn't undercut every emotional moment with a joke, so that makes sense.

Not that I didn't enjoy Guardians 2, I very much do, but the second movie gets a little too into like "we can't let this get too serious."

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Guardians 2 would have been a tearjerker if they didn't undercut every emotional moment with a joke, so that makes sense.

Not that I didn't enjoy Guardians 2, I very much do, but the second movie gets a little too into like "we can't let this get too serious."

It's the most irritating thing about an otherwise pretty good, if slight, film.

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's the most irritating thing about an otherwise pretty good, if slight, film.

Yeah. I feel like if they let the emotional moments breathe without drax or Mantis making some stupid tongue in cheek "I'm interrupting this emotional moment" moment, I probably would have cried during that movie. It's like the script is there, but they're afraid to fully commit to the emotional moments.

GotG 1 threaded that needle a lot better. That's why it's my favorite MCU movie

I loved Guardians 1 and enjoyed many of the individual scenes and moments in 2... but it's one of my least favorite marvel movies. It just didn't come together well in my mind. It was a little too out there or something... I dunno.

All of these movies are kind of a blur. I watch them once in the theater and then that's it most of the time.

12 minutes ago, ort said:

All of these movies are kind of a blur. 

You've just described one of my major issues with the MCU as a whole - the lack of any significant visual distinctiveness between most of the films.  I'm well aware that this enforced "uniformity" was a deliberate, conscious decision by Feige, et al., but that choice doesn't exactly help the sheer visual monotony present in the MCU.  If you showed me a random shot from any MCU film, I'd be damned if I could tell you from which one it's taken.

If anything, it's quite the "achievement" to take the most diverse, eye-popping visual media in the world (comic books) somehow make their on-screen depiction as visually uninteresting as possible.  This is why "Into the Spiderverse" is the best Marvel superhero film, period.

GotG2 needs to kill you with silliness otherwise the absolute absurdity of Yondu kidnapping thousands of children, knowingly sending them to their deaths, abducting then adopting Peter, refusing to kill him but treating him a way that Peter interpreted as abuse for his entire life, then spinning that into Yondu actually being a loving father figure worthy of the respect of his peers in death wouldn’t work at all.

The ravager funeral looks and sounds lovely and the moment absolutely hits, so I’m not hating. But them honoring him because they realize he didn’t murder one of the THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN he sent to their deaths is… a lot.

Many MCU movies want to have their cake and eat it too, GotG2 is especially egregious in this regard.

35 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

GotG2 needs to kill you with silliness otherwise the absolute absurdity of Yondu kidnapping thousands of children, knowingly sending them to their deaths, abducting then adopting Peter, refusing to kill him but treating him a way that Peter interpreted as abuse for his entire life, then spinning that into Yondu actually being a loving father figure worthy of the respect of his peers in death wouldn’t work at all.

Many MCU movies want to have their cake and eat it too, GotG2 is especially egregious in this regard.

Silly goose, one heart to heart moment overturns a lifetime of wrongdoing, everybody knows that.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Silly goose, one heart to heart moment overturns a lifetime of wrongdoing, everybody knows that.

Heh.

For me the difference between the end of GotG2 and something like Return of the Jedi is that Luke put Vader to rest alone. It would have been weird if Wedge and Lando and everyone was solemnly standing by as Luke lit the pyre.

You can’t have that touching moment at the end of GotG2 without the Ravagers showing up even though them forgiving what was likely decades of him breaking the code because he didn’t let one kid get murdered by Ego is really something.

6 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The ravager funeral looks and sounds lovely and the moment absolutely hits, so I’m not hating. But them honoring him because they realize he didn’t murder one of the THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN he sent to their deaths is… a lot.

1/2 the  gang is pretty much irredeemable. 

Starlord is a man child sleeping his way across the galaxy to rob artifacts and sell to the highest bidder

Gamora and Nebula have killed god only knows how many all while helping Thanos commit planet wide genocide . Hell Nebula stood idle while Yondus crew slaughtered it own by dumping them out the air lock. 

And while I do love the idea of broken/grey hero's,  you cant just handwave it away.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Starlord is a man child sleeping his way across the galaxy to rob artifacts and sell to the highest bidder

Gamora and Nebula have killed god only knows how many all while helping Thanos commit planet wide genocide . Hell Nebula stood idle while Yondus crew slaughtered it own by dumping them out the air lock. 

And while I do love the idea of broken/grey hero's,  you cant just handwave it away.

With Gamorah and Nebula you can KIIIIIIIIIIIIINDA let it slide given that at some point they were motivated to prevent Thanos from killing half of literally everything, so... that's something? I dunno.

The main characters relearning the same lessons over and over is kind of the MCU's brand at this point though.

And to be fair... that's serialized comics, too. How many times can Charles refer to his friendship with Magneto after the latter's most recent attempt at genocide?

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Groot is pure.

It's weird after all this time spent w/ the MCU that for Black Widow, I have hardly any interest in watching it. I'll inevitably view it once its free on D+ but that's besides the point. Shang-Chi & The Eternals haven't had any sort of impact on me to see them just yet. I'm only half invested in No Way Home & that's dependant on the trailer that gets stitched together soon. Thor 4, Doc Strange 2, and then GotG3 are all that's really on my "must see" of Phase 4 flicks. 

9 hours ago, SoberChef said:

It's weird after all this time spent w/ the MCU that for Black Widow, I have hardly any interest in watching it. 

That's because Natasha is by far the most uninteresting character in the whole MCU and it doesn't help that she's played by a thoroughly uninspiring actress either.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's because Natasha is by far the most uninteresting character in the whole MCU and it doesn't help that she's played by a thoroughly uninspiring actress either.

And the movie is at least 5 years late. Hard to care about a character when they’re already dead. 

8 hours ago, TheLeon said:

And the movie is at least 5 years late. Hard to care about a character when they’re already dead. 

I haven't seen the film, but we watch movies about already dead characters in fiction (and non-fiction) all the time. It can be done well - but it isn't easy. 

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I haven't seen the film, but we watch movies about already dead characters in fiction (and non-fiction) all the time. It can be done well - but it isn't easy. 

That’s fair. I suppose there are plenty of good examples of that. But the MCU sorta feels like one big TV series to me, and in that case Black Widow is a season 2 episode dropped into season 4 about a character that died in season 3. That’s the best way I can put it. It’s a decent enough movie on its own, but at this point on the MCU timeline, it feels like too little too late. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

You can probably blame Ike Perlmutter for that one since he was adamant that a female superhero wouldn't sell. 

Yeah, he was pretty adamant that nobody wanted a female superhero. We can also thank him for the lack of Black Widow toys.

9 hours ago, TheLeon said:

That’s fair. I suppose there are plenty of good examples of that. But the MCU sorta feels like one big TV series to me, and in that case Black Widow is a season 2 episode dropped into season 4 about a character that died in season 3. That’s the best way I can put it. It’s a decent enough movie on its own, but at this point on the MCU timeline, it feels like too little too late. 

Yeah I mean I definitely agree, just that it can be done (even within a TV series) broadly speaking, But yeah, seems like too little, too late. 

On 7/13/2021 at 10:54 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I wish I could like this a thousand times

On 7/12/2021 at 12:55 PM, ort said:

I loved Guardians 1 and enjoyed many of the individual scenes and moments in 2... but it's one of my least favorite marvel movies. It just didn't come together well in my mind. It was a little too out there or something... I dunno.

All of these movies are kind of a blur. I watch them once in the theater and then that's it most of the time.

Guardians 1 everything worked the problem with 2 is during the first half they were trying way too hard to be funny (so it wasn't). It got it's footing halfway through when it started being a little more serious but man that movie was a letdown.