Major DNA testing company agrees to share records with the FBI

29 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

But “what’s coming?” I’m not really planning on killing or raping anyone.

Well for instance, genetic discrimination. How long until these companies start selling genetic records to insurance companies for client screening? "Oh, you lied on your form about heart conditions, as your genes clearly show. DENIED!"

1 minute ago, Nokt said:

I took an Ancestry DNA test awhile back when my parents bought all of my siblings one for Christmas. It was actually pretty cool to see the differences between us.

Tests with twins have shown that these kinds of tests tend to be pretty garbage. Identical twins will show as wildly different backgrounds, etc. Basically it's a crapshoot and the companies know it.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Tests with twins have shown that these kinds of tests tend to be pretty garbage. Identical twins will show as wildly different backgrounds, etc. Basically it's a crapshoot and the companies know it.

I've heard that before. Though some tests do put them pretty close together with only a small percentage being different in different areas. I never thought it was really an exact kind of thing that I was going to get 100% true results. I'm not exactly going to turn down a Christmas present from my parents and talking about the results was just fun even if they aren't concrete results.

I've always wanted to know just what exactly my European mutt heritage is other than whatever random shit my parents told me I was from my Grandma's side or whatever. Definitely don't want to give these companies the info to sell and give to whoever though. 

I did have a grandma who said she was 1/16 or 1/32 or whatever the fuck Cherokee, so I might be as much Native American as Elizabeth Warren! 

31 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There was a CBC article and on this and I dunno, I disagree with that conclusion.  The results were fairly similar (though admittedly they weren’t identical). Most importantly I’d say there wasn’t really any contradictory results — neither sisters results necessarily pointed to a different background (like if only one sister had 20% native American DNA while the other twin had 20% African DNA). The differences were that, like one sister had 5% polish DNA and the other sister had a greater portion of Eastern European DNA.

The CBC tried to make this out to be a scandal as if the DNA company was just throwing darts at a dart board. I’m like, excuse me isn’t Poland in Eastern Europe? I pretty much drew the opposite conclusion. The results were similar enough to qualify as an interesting and worthwhile feature, IMO.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well for instance, genetic discrimination. How long until these companies start selling genetic records to insurance companies for client screening? "Oh, you lied on your form about heart conditions, as your genes clearly show. DENIED!"

Which is why there should be laws written to avoid this sort of discrimination.     

Just now, marioandsonic said:

All I know about my ancestry is that my father's side is German and my mother's side is Irish.  I'm fine with leaving my knowledge at that.

If I were you, I would seriously think about trying to find out if you have anything different than those 2 ancestral lines.    

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

DNA likelihood of having a condition doesn't mean you have it.

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

I've always wanted to know just what exactly my European mutt heritage is other than whatever random shit my parents told me I was from my Grandma's side or whatever. Definitely don't want to give these companies the info to sell and give to whoever though. 

I did have a grandma who said she was 1/16 or 1/32 or whatever the fuck Cherokee, so I might be as much Native American as Elizabeth Warren! 

You being part Mexican is the plot twist we deserve right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1