Control | Official Thread of Oldest House of Pain, update: Remedy/505 announce 4-player PvE co-op spin-off and "bigger budget" game set in Control universe

Commissar SFLUFAN

22 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Lol did they really think anybody was gonna believe that bullshit?

I would absolutely LOVE if Microsoft tweeted in and was like "actually, with smart delivery, you don't really have to DO anything."

I mean it will most likely be backwards compatible. Not the same as having  the next gen version but... close?

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I mean it will most likely be backwards compatible. Not the same as having  the next gen version but... close?

I'm sure it will be, at least on Xbox, and it will most likely (finally) be the experience it should've been in the first place. But while the Xbox has internal magicks in place to make old games run better, the PS5 may just be using emulation, so there's a good chance the PS4 version will run... exactly the same. We don't really know because Sony won't talk about their BC functionality.

14 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Tagging this to watch later. I don't usually get caught up in videogame outrages because most are overblown or exaggerated. THIS is fucked up and is worthy of a boycott. I've seen gamers get up in arms for a LOT less egregious shit than this. And for them to lie on top of it is just the icing on the cake.

I'm about an hour in and all I'll say is that so far it really feels like a compelling meld of Alan Wake and Control. Alan Wake's tone and atmosphere are absolutely imported here, with even stronger Lynchian; Twin Peaks-vibes. Everyone's favorite tortured writer is back, visually played by his previous visual model and still voiced by his previous voice actor. Control definitely feels different with Alan Wake brought in - but only in good ways so far. 

For those not familiar or don't remember Alan Wake well (I brushed up beforehand), you definitely might want to read a plot summary for the original game, it's two expansions, and the spin-off Alan Wake's American Nightmare. They are all referenced here. But I think for those not in the know, like Jesse herself, perhaps it'll be an even more confusing experience, which is kind of the point of Alan Wake's subjective, surreal reality. It is important to adjust expectations though - this is very much a Control game first and an Alan Wake sequel second - but you can feel (at least so far) that Remedy is testing the waters to perhaps make a full-blown sequel at some point. 

Alright, I REALLY don't know what to think about the notion that...[MAJOR FREAKIN' SPOILER BELOW!]

Spoiler

Alan Wake essentially "wrote" the Old House, the FBC, the Board, the Hiss, Jesse, EVERYTHING about Control into existence because "he needs a hero" (Jesse) to save himself from the Dark Place.

I guess that makes total "sense" on some level. The main discussion involves

Spoiler

whether Alan is "creating" reality or is "shaping/influencing" reality.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:41 PM, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Alright, I REALLY don't know what to think about the notion that...[MAJOR FREAKIN' SPOILER BELOW!]

Hide contents

Alan Wake essentially "wrote" the Old House, the FBC, the Board, the Hiss, Jesse, EVERYTHING about Control into existence because "he needs a hero" (Jesse) to save himself from the Dark Place.

I guess that makes total "sense" on some level. The main discussion involves

Hide contents

whether Alan is "creating" reality or is "shaping/influencing" reality.

Having just finished it myself finally (it was short!). To be fair, The Foundation DLC only had three sidequests whereas the AWE DLC has 7 sidequests (this is excluding the randomized battle missions, I'm talking story sub-missions), so that's something.

Spoiler

I certainly read it that way. It didn't seem definitive, but from Wake's perspective, he says it pretty clearly, though his POV is all fucked. Definitely want to see more! If Wake created Control, then he might be the most powerful parautilitarian on Earth.

• 1 month later...
Switch_Control_Hero.jpg
WWW.NINTENDO.COM

Learn more and find out how to purchase the Control Ultimate Edition - Cloud Version game for Nintendo Switch on the Official Nintendo site.

A streamable version on the Switch?  

You can only download a free launcher application to test the game for a limited amount of time. This game uses cloud streaming technology, and you require a persistent high-speed internet connection to play the game. If your internet connection becomes unstable, the service will disconnect after a few minutes. 

Please use the free launcher application to test the availability and quality of the service for your region. 

A Nintendo Account is required to access the cloud service. To access the game after the free trial, this free launcher application and the purchasable Access Pass are required. Pricing can be found on the Nintendo eShop page for the Access Pass once the 5 minute trial has been successfully completed.

5 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:
Switch_Control_Hero.jpg
WWW.NINTENDO.COM

Learn more and find out how to purchase the Control Ultimate Edition - Cloud Version game for Nintendo Switch on the Official Nintendo site.

A streamable version on the Switch?  

*So after looking into this a bit more, apparently AC Odyssey and RE7 were already Cloud Games on the Switch.  I wasn't aware they were doing this for some titles.  Interesting.